Thread: Spar placement for rowing Caledonia Yawl

Default Spar placement for rowing Caledonia Yawl

My work continues to get in the way of building the Sooty Tern I have plans for, so I bought a Caledonia Yawl when the opertunity arose.

As I get familiar with the boat, Im wondering how those of you with experience, arrange the spars in the boat to facilitate rowing.

Best, Rob Macks

www.laughingloon.com

Default Re: Spar placement for rowing Caledonia Yawl

My Chamberlain gunning dory Leeward is about that size. I had one sail with somewhat longer spars but my solution will work for you.

The mizzen can be struck or left up and furled for rowing. For the main, once rolled up and all spars bundled together, the trick is to have the rig low enough that it does not bother you rowing. You can possibly slide the butt under that center thwart with overhand forward or aft making little difference. Just a tie where the spars and sail cross the gunnel to keep them from sliding sideways.

With Leeward I had no center thwart - broader centerboard trunk cap - so accomodating her longer spars was easy.

If you have a way to set the rudder, "motor sailing" under oar is a delight. Sails up and just row. Especially a bit upwind and you will be much rewarded by the induced wind you can add with some oar work. If you start on a tight reach true conditions you will find as you get moving that you need to trim to a beat. Your forward motion brings the apparant wind vector forward. And adds apparant wind speed. A lovely and relaxing way to go.

G'luck

Leeward on first sail. I soon learned how to set tensions to get rid of those ripples.

I'm also a new owner of a CY -- congrats, shipmate! I'll assume you have a balanced lug main and leg-o-mutton mizzen. As Ian says, you can either strike the mizzen or leave it up depending on conditions.

If not rowing in wind, you could try bundling the mainsail spars together with sail ties and hoisting the whole thing up the mast a bit, possibly having the forward tips of the bundle quite low and the aft part higher to clear your head. Otherwise I think you'll have to go for the bundle set on the thwarts aft and possibly projecting out over the gunwale a bit forward of your rowing station.
    "The enemies of reason have a certain blind look."
    Doctor Jacquin to Lieutenant D'Hubert, in Ridley Scott's first major film _The Duellists_.

I find that bundling the spars and laying them above the center thwart is a problem because they are too long to fit under the gunnels unless sometimes right down the center line, but that's where you'll want to sit. And even if they fit below the line of the gunnel, they are still a bit high for comfortable rowing.

I like sticking the spars out over the bow as that gives more room and ease for rowing than sticking out aft.

We have (or had) one member here to designed a crooked spar to exactly lie along the thwarts and seat riser hard against the hull. This was inspired by wanting things clear all around when fishing.

For my boats and my buddy's Oughtead yawls, balanced lug bundle (yard, sail, boom) comes down, easily detaches from mast traveler ring, and is shoved off to port at thwart level with a couple of sail ties. If rowing any distance, mast comes down - heel under main thwart, top projecting over bow. However I confess, conventional masts for some of these 100 foot plus lugsails are beginning to feel a bit heavy and ungainly to ship and unship for me. The boats I most often sail with are slightly smaller than the Caledonia.
    Eric

Mizzen sometimes simply furl and leave up, sometimes yank out and lay to the side.

Agree with what Eric said.

I rowed a CY once. It is hard work. Plan on using the oars to get to from the dock or to shore. Let the sails or iron mizzen do the long-distance work.

Having the right oars will help a lot if you choose to go longer. How long are your oars? And how well are they balanced?

-Bruce
    Tales from the land and sea: http://terrapintales.wordpress.com/

We also tested rowing it with the mainsail bundle athwartships in front of the mast -- worked OK and kept the whole shebang out of the way and low in the boat -- when compared to carrying it aloft.

But it does row nicely with four rowers, each on an oar!
    Last edited by Thorne; 07-06-2018 at 11:50 AM.
    Doctor Jacquin to Lieutenant D'Hubert, in Ridley Scott's first major film _The Duellists_.

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Bateau View Post
    Agree with what Eric said.

I rowed a CY once. It is hard work. Plan on using the oars to get to from the dock or to shore. Let the sails or iron mizzen do the long-distance work.

Having the right oars will help a lot if you choose to go longer. How long are your oars? And how well are they balanced?

-Bruce
    The oars are eleven feet long, made by the builder Geoff Kerr. They are lighter in weight than I would have
    expected by looking at them. I found the balance good and the oars easy to use. I’m used to paddling so perhaps I don’t find it as hard.

Rob

Quote Originally Posted by Ian McColgin View Post
    I find that bundling the spars and laying them above the center thwart is a problem because they are too long to fit under the gunnels unless sometimes right down the center line, but that's where you'll want to sit.
    I’ve found the best way to row the CY is with two rowers sharing a thwart. So the spars on the centerline won’t be a problem.

Honda 2 is the best way to row a Caledonia Yawl.
    Quote Originally Posted by James McMullen View Post
    Yeadon is right, of course.

Quote Originally Posted by Ian McColgin View Post
    I find that bundling the spars and laying them above the center thwart is a problem because they are too long to fit under the gunnels unless sometimes right down the center line, but that's where you'll want to sit. And even if they fit below the line of the gunnel, they are still a bit high for comfortable rowing.

I like sticking the spars out over the bow as that gives more room and ease for rowing than sticking out aft.

We have (or had) one member here to designed a crooked spar to exactly lie along the thwarts and seat riser hard against the hull. This was inspired by wanting things clear all around when fishing.
    The Norwegians have sorted this out. Mast on one side of the stem the yard and sail on the other. I have a strap that I use to hold every thing together on Ran Tan which is also used to get oars out of the way while sailing. For the yawl rig on Ran Tan, the mizzen usually goes over the stern. Even on a flat calm day I find it best to stow everything as the air drag of spars isn't insignificant, and any roll to the sea with spars up makes rowing really hard.
    Ben Fuller
    Ran Tan, Liten Kuhling, Tipsy, Tippy, Josef W., Merry Mouth, Imp, Macavity, Look Far, Flash and a quiver of other 'yaks.
    "Bound fast is boatless man."

A friend placed the mast in 2 ss forks that he put in the gunnel, high enough to use the oars. Ofcourse you could carve them in wood for an organic look. Sail at the other side on thwarts. Iain Oughtred liked the idea, but he himself always finds other people want to do the rowing so he does not bother.

I am currently working on the same problem, where to put all the spars for rowing...

My current oars came with the boat and are way too short, 8.5' only. I will make new ones over the next winter probably with the ability to split them using the Duck Works ferrules.

http://www.duckworksbbs.com/product-p/lo_oar.htm

So I will be able to store them more easily.
    For rowing, I keep the main and mizzen up, spars and sail packed with the ends under the bench facing forward. Rowing a CY with oars that are too short is a true pain so I am curious how it will be with ones of appropriate length.

Quote Originally Posted by Yeadon View Post
    Honda 2 is the best way to row a Caledonia Yawl.
    Not sure if it is the best but it's for sure the loudest way to "row" a CY .

mute your speakers before starting the video

Quote Originally Posted by PILOTARIX View Post
    I am currently working on the same problem, where to put all the spars for rowing...

My current oars came with the boat and are way too short, 8.5' only. I will make new ones over the next winter probably with the ability to split them using the Duck Works ferrules.

Best of luck with your oar-building. I'd be tempted to make them longer than the stock oars, as the pair that came with my boat are really not long enough when a single rower is on the center thwart -- the handles are pretty far apart and work much better with two rowing from that position. That's due to having leathers with collars, and they'd be more flexible and efficient for swapping from single to double rowers with just long leathers and no collars.

You might try borrowing some old sculling oars and seeing how the various lengths compare. They'll be too flexible but you might find either racing ones or whaleboat oars that are the right length.

As for the noise from the iron jib, my Yamaha 2.5 is a bit quieter due to being water-cooled, but still makes a fair amount of noise when in a well. I find myself wondering how it would sound if mounted outside the hull -- harder to operate but at least it could kick up when beaching.

https://www.facebook.com/david.luckh...403646/?type=3
    Last edited by Thorne; 06-15-2018 at 09:52 AM.

What Eric said.

Here's what I do on Fire-Drake, which is smaller than a CY but has the same rig configuration:

(photo courtesy of Dave Lesser)

Mizzen down and sticking out over the stern a little with butt end under the thwart. Main mast butt end under the thwart but sticking out over the bow, looking kind of like a bowsprit. Main sail, yard and boom bundled up and sitting on the thwart and side bench port side - leaves plenty of room to row.

Don't know what a CY mast weighs. Mine weighs 24 lbs and is just manageable. Usually It's going up or down as the wind is just rising or has fallen away, so usually there's not much sea running.
    Alex

"A man who is not afraid of the sea will soon be drowned, for he will be going out on a day he shouldn't. We do be afraid of the sea, and we only be drowned now and again" Aran Islands Fisherman

Quote Originally Posted by AJZimm View Post
    What Eric said.

Here's what I do on Fire-Drake, which is smaller than a CY but has the same rig configuration:

(photo courtesy of Dave Lesser)

Mizzen down and sticking out over the stern a little with butt end under the thwart. Main mast butt end under the thwart but sticking out over the bow, looking kind of like a bowsprit. Main sail, yard and boom bundled up and sitting on the thwart and side bench port side - leaves plenty of room to row.

Don't know what a CY mast weighs. Mine weighs 24 lbs and is just manageable. Usually It's going up or down as the wind is just rising or has fallen away, so usually there's not much sea running.
    Thanks for all your input. Now I have a few options to try.

My eleven foot long oars seem to do a good job. Now if I can just figure out that not seeing where you're going.

I do have a Torqueedo for backup, which I'll use in congested harbors, but I need to strengthen my arms.

All the best,
    Rob Macks
    Laughing Loon Custom Canoes & Kayaks
    http://www.laughingloon.com/
    207-549-3531

I am always doing that which I can not do, in order that I may learn how to do it. - Pablo Picasso