Thread: Balanced Lug 505

Default Balanced Lug 505

When I was a young man the dream was a Land Rover towing a 505.
    With the complexity of a modern 505 my tastes have moved on

However this caught my eye last night, some nice detailing, particularly like the controls going into the foredeck.

The cheapest 505 I found for sale is 300 (US$400), with the right one you could strip all the bits off it and sell them on eBay and almost have a self funding project maybe.

https://tinkboats.wordpress.com
    http://proasail.blogspot.co.uk
    What I get up to
    https://youtu.be/X9NZEyvpb_Y Streaker dinghy
    https://youtu.be/oni-3rJzxqQ Sail Canoe
    https://youtu.be/eW078PPgJak Proa

Default Re: Balanced Lug 505

The first picture posted certainly looks like a study in complexity. What is the biggest influence, sail control or marketing?

Quote Originally Posted by Small boats rock View Post
    The first picture posted certainly looks like a study in complexity. What is the biggest influence, sail control or marketing?
    I think it is about diverting the blame for not winning from the “nut on the tiller” to the fact that you couldn’t quite get mast rake or whatever the same as the bloke at the front. I am sure more places are lost with gear failure and faffing with some control rather than keeping your eyes out of the boat and noticing an increase of pressure of the left eye etc.

The lug version certainly looks a bit cleaner. Interesting use of batons... makes it sort of junkish (sans a few sheets and luff parrels).

Thats cool! Would like to see a video of it sailing.

I'm sorry. For somebody who has spent a lot of time racing 5o5s, that is just wrong. I liken it to putting a 24hp VW engine in a Cobra. You'll get great gas mileage, but think of the poor car that has to face life embarrassed to show its face in public.
    Schooner captains love to get blown offshore!

If it breathes life into an old boat that is no longer competitive and just languishing in some forgotten corner of the dinghy part it has to be right

Quote Originally Posted by tink View Post
    If it breathes life into an old boat that is no longer competitive and just languishing in some forgotten corner of the dinghy part it has to be right
    You're right, of course, but with this subject I will exercise my right to be wrong. For little more effort, that old 5o5 could be restored to a boat that while not competitive, at least resembles the original in form and function. I love to see old schooners restored, but I'm afraid that I'm not 100% for what Dennis Conner did with Fame.

Long before I ever met her, Kelpie, during one of her many restorations, was converted from a gaff tops'l schooner to a stays'l schooner. After her last restoration, she emerged as she was originally designed and built. These were both GOOD restorations. They gave a beautiful old boat a new life as a beautiful younger boat.

I have nothing against a balanced lug rig (except that it's not a schooner rig). I've never sailed one, we just don't have many around here. However, I would rather have seen Kelpie languish than to see her subjected to the indignity of wearing an ill fitting and inappropriate suit.
    Schooner captains love to get blown offshore!

I wouldn't get too upset about the alteration.About twenty years ago I was responsible for our club dinghy park and had an abandoned 505 with a broken mast mouldering in the corner.It was of the era of the boat shown maybe late seventies and also a Parker.We got in touch with the last known owner who had lost all interest and mentioned that the club rules allowed us to dispose of the boat by auction and send the balance after deducting the missing fees.We weren't expecting a huge sum but 20 didn't even cover a third of the sum we were owed.A boat of this value would be a reasonable basis for an experiment and in fact that inspired another of our members to buy a relic of a 505 and put a huge International 14 assymmetric spinnaker on it and he sailed the boat single handed,helming from the trapeze.It wasn't ever raced,but it provided a lot of amusement for very little money.

Tink, I do like the line routing on the yellow one.
    Last edited by Matt young; 06-12-2018 at 11:55 PM.
    "Yeah, well, that's just, like your opinion man"
    -The Dude-

Seems to me that there was a Brit National 18 that stuffed all of its sail into a lug, rigged a trap and was pretty quick. People complained about being passed by a lugger.
    Ben Fuller
    Ran Tan, Liten Kuhling, Tipsy, Tippy, Josef W., Merry Mouth, Imp, Macavity, Look Far, Flash and a quiver of other 'yaks.
    "Bound fast is boatless man."

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Fuller View Post
    Seems to me that there was a Brit National 18 that stuffed all of its sail into a lug, rigged a trap and was pretty quick. People complained about being passed by a lugger.
    I remember reading the article and marvelling at the splendid craft produced. I found it for sail a few days back 7000 (US$9300) http://www.woodenships.co.uk/small-c...l-national-18/

Quote Originally Posted by tink View Post
    I remember reading the article and marvelling at the splendid craft produced. I found it for sail a few days back 7000 (US$9300) http://www.woodenships.co.uk/small-c...l-national-18/
    Boat together with Nigel Irens Romilly was one of the inspirations for the rig design of my oar and sail boat RANTAN.
    Ben Fuller
    Ran Tan, Liten Kuhling, Tipsy, Tippy, Josef W., Merry Mouth, Imp, Macavity, Look Far, Flash and a quiver of other 'yaks.
    "Bound fast is boatless man."