Thread: Boat name mystery solved... for me at least.

Default Boat name mystery solved... for me at least.

Maybe it's not news to others, but for the longest time, starting when I was selling boats in a brokerage in the mid-seventies, I'd run into boats named "Tondaleyo." I didn't know what it meant, but it had an exotic South Seas sound to it. Then, last night, I was watching a movie on Netflix called "Bombshell," which was a biography of Heddy Lamarr, who was a big time actress during the '40's and '50's. She was also famous as the inventor of frequency-shifting technology which was "blacked out" during the war as a "military secret" and later because the basis of cellular communications.

Turns out she ended up making a really bad B- movie in 1942 called "White Cargo." It was one of those "he-man" movies set in some tropical jungle on a river in Africa with white traders and mysterious natives. Tondelayo was, it turns out, some seductive native woman whose allure no man could resist, played, of course, by Ms. Heddy Lamarr. It was reportedly a big hit with the troops, owing to Ms. Lamar's endowments, but was quickly consigned to the dustbin of cinematic history. Nonetheless, it launched a great number of yachts, airplanes, and even popular songs called "Tondaleyo."

Just a bit of obscure trivia. If you ever see "Tondaleyo" on somebody's old varnished transom, you'll know why.

They just don't make 'em like they used to!
    Last edited by Bob Cleek; 06-11-2018 at 09:10 PM.

South Puget Sound/summer Eastern carib./winter

Default Re: Boat name mystery solved... for me at least.

Whats "Kemosabe" mean Bob?

For me, her MAIN attribute were those incredible eyes and her brows. Who knew she had such an adroit brain and intellect?

(Back then??) Who cared?

I can only imagine sitting across from her and staring into the depths of her eyes... Chilling, frightening (to my 1950's testonorosity), but something I'd be willing to endure for a very large portion of Eternity.

Thank you, "Honkle H'adolf" for forcing her to Amerika.

"It's a pirate's life for me. Savvy??"

Default Boat name mystery solved... for me at least.

Quote Originally Posted by wizbang 13 View Post
    Whats "Kemosabe" mean Bob?

According to Gary Larson it was Horses Ass

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Alex

"A man who is not afraid of the sea will soon be drowned, for he will be going out on a day he shouldn't. We do be afraid of the sea, and we only be drowned now and again" Aran Islands Fisherman

Sung to the tune of 'Jambalaya'? Son of a gun we'll have big fun, Tondelayo.
    There is no rational, logical, or physical description of how free will could exist. It therefore makes no sense to praise or condemn anyone on the grounds they are a free willed self that made one choice but could have chosen something else. There is no evidence that such a situation is possible in our Universe. Demonstrate otherwise and I will be thrilled.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Cleek View Post
    Maybe it's not news to others, but for the longest time, starting when I was selling boats in a brokerage in the mid-seventies, I'd run into boats named "Tondaleyo." I didn't know what it meant, but it had an exotic South Seas sound to it. Then, last night, I was watching a movie on Netflix called "Bombshell," which was a biography of Heddy Lamarr, who was a big time actress during the '40's and '50's. She was also famous as the inventor of frequency-shifting technology which was "blacked out" during the war as a "military secret" and later because the basis of cellular communications.

Turns out she ended up making a really bad B- movie in 1942 called "White Cargo." It was one of those "he-man" movies set in some tropical jungle on a river in Africa with white traders and mysterious natives. Tondelayo was, it turns out, some seductive native woman whose allure no man could resist, played, of course, by Ms. Heddy Lamarr. It was reportedly a big hit with the troops, owing to Ms. Lamar's endowments, but was quickly consigned to the dustbin of cinematic history. Nonetheless, it launched a great number of yachts, airplanes, and even popular songs called "Tondaleyo."

Just a bit of obscure trivia. If you ever see "Tondaleyo" on somebody's old varnished transom, you'll know why.

They just don't make 'em like they used to!
    i am on the search for that DVD now. I can imagine showwing that one on my sail at the Corinthian at the wooden boat show.
    Be wary of your critics, at peace with your decisions, and work hard to be a better man.

What you really want to see is her 1st film from 1933:
    It was scandalous.
    http://www.pilloledistoria.it/5391/c...-video?lang=en

Bombshell: The Hedy Lamarr Story.
    Just recently aired on PBS and is now available on Netflix. I thought it was good.
    https://www.tribecafilm.com/filmguide/bombshell-the-hedy-lamarr-story-2017