Thread: Whats yalls opinion on this 40 footer?

Default Whats yalls opinion on this 40 footer?

https://eastnc.craigslist.org/boa/d/...566260976.html

Being glassed over and it looks poorly done, id say tje hull is pribably bad off. What are yalls thoughts? Certainly cheap enough

Default Re: Whats yalls opinion on this 40 footer?

Quote Originally Posted by sleek View Post

Being glassed over and it looks poorly done, id say tje hull is pribably bad off. What are yalls thoughts? Certainly cheap enough
    Id be concerned on a couple of fronts.
    1) There are no fotos of the interior of the hull so you have no visual information about the condition of the keelson, ribs, planks, wiring, engine, transmission or prop shaft.
    2) he mentions having to replace the through-hulls. Why? Has stray ground current damaged them? More importantly, has it damaged the wood around it?

At a minimum Id ask him/her to post pix of the above so you dont waste your time driving out to see it. Even then id be wary of a 61 year old hull thats been glassed over after the fact.

When it comes with a $30,000 endowment, then maybe. Probably not, but maybe.

Not good. A pair of reinforcing plates, with only 4 bolts, and they can't be bothered to trim off the spare length.

Walk away now.
    It really is quite difficult to build an ugly wooden boat.

The power of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web
    The weakness of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web.

I'd consider such a boat the thing to use for a season or maybe three, before cutting it up and parting out the bronze and engine.

Kevin
    There are two kinds of boaters: those who have run aground, and those who lie about it.

Thanks all, i will not even think on it further. Its price intrigued me. Wonder what the engine is worth?

He'd be very lucky to give it away. Needs lots of work to make it useable, and it's not worth doing that work. Probably wouldn't pass insurance survey, so no marina will accept it.

I don't know about that boat but a guy I knew had a very similar boat....Basically a cape Islander which had a thick sheathing of FG....The wood was not much good. He bought it for pocket change....something like the price shown. He spent a year of sporadic work in it, removed most of the frames, and replaced them, new bulkheads and then cruised it for 5 or 6 years and then sold it. not sure of the price.....
    The boat was still around last year, looking about the same, now some 13 or 14 years later.

I suppose its a starting point? Folks seem to enjoy restoring junker boats iften and make some beautiful boats. But... that damn fiberglass completely ruins it for me. Id rather need to replank the hull than have that on it, anf getting it off, i bet its a nightmare.

I suppose its a starting point? Folks seem to enjoy restoring junker boats iften and make some beautiful boats. But... that damn fiberglass completely ruins it for me. Id rather need to replank the hull than have that on it, anf getting it off, i bet its a nightmare.
    If it is polyester it will just peel right off.
    It really is quite difficult to build an ugly wooden boat.

The power of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web
    The weakness of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web.

If it is a "Gray Marine" engine then it will be ex WW2 and maybe even older than the boat. She would make a nice live-aboard though.

Oh dont tell me that, now im thinking about it again.... its not a call from the harbor master or anything... but .... ahhhhgggg

Im ginna look into Main, perhaps I can find a well worn trawler. Im in no rush, at all, and probably premature, at least thats what my ex always told me. But im trying to see what I like. I like a wooden boat. I need to be more specific qith muself. Maybe a lobster boat. I always liked the stories behind them. Yeah... a lobster boat.

If thats true about the engine, id have to have her. Im Navy vet myself. Maybe just buy the engine and everything that goes with it and he can burn the boat. What would a functional engine, trans, and guages go for?

Check ebay for prices on used 6-71 engine.

As for burning it, you don't want to burn fiberglass ( never mind the bottom paint, glue, bedding, etc, etc, etc that every boat of any construction possesses.) Thick, black noxious fumes result.

Kevin
    There are two kinds of boaters: those who have run aground, and those who lie about it.

Easier to store the engine and mechanicals in the barn than the whole thing... Until the right boat comes along, but without propulsion.

He has an image in his youtube video of the engine.

https://youtu.be/aOvXZRdCj8M

50' sailboat - 12.5" beam, 8' draft, glassed from the waterline down (not the whole hull like this one). Over 250 30 grit 8" disks on a big ol' Milwaukee grinder + 50 or so more (finer grit) so as to do the last bit without removing too much wood.

Then I realized that 60% of the planks under the glass were junk. Then the bottom 4' of 90 or so frames, etc. etc. Need I go on?
    "If it ain't broke, you're not trying." - Red Green

No, i get it. Its cheaper to go get a second wife. And there is a joke about wood plugging holes somewhere there...

Quote Originally Posted by Garret View Post
    50' sailboat - 12.5" beam, 8' draft, glassed from the waterline down (not the whole hull like this one). Over 250 30 grit 8" disks on a big ol' Milwaukee grinder + 50 or so more (finer grit) so as to do the last bit without removing too much wood.

Then I realized that 60% of the planks under the glass were junk. Then the bottom 4' of 90 or so frames, etc. etc. Need I go on?
    Frankly id be much obliged if you did go on, if only to provide a clue on how it all ended.

Hmmmm,..... my worthless take on it,....
    i’ve definately seen worse looking from an asthetic perspective. It could never be a ‘restored classic’ (I doubt it was much of a looker when new, nice looking hull, but probably always utilitarian beyond that.)
    It has a lot of space for a potential live aboard. As mentioned, for a 5- to maybe 10 year live aboard it might work. Also as mentioned, my biggest concern might be the required suitability survey for insurance.
    As for the engine, an old “low block” ( they built a zillion of them from the late 30’s into,.... I would guess sometime in the 60’s they changed to the “high block”). I would guess in good running condition a couple of thousand for it.

comparing to a “lobster boat”, this would be a much better live aboard. A traditional “lobster boat” has not much more than a couple of bunks below (if that). You could build a whole deck house for live aboard but then it wouldn’t look like a “lobster boat”.

As for ‘an old trawler’, The federal buy out program of about 30 years ago did away with a lot of the traditional small draggers and trawlers.
    Last edited by nedL; 06-11-2018 at 08:47 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by carioca1232001 View Post
    Frankly id be much obliged if you did go on, if only to provide a clue on how it all ended.
    Don't want to drift the thread + I've been hounded to start a thread anyway - but all the frames were fixed (bottom 6 ft. replaced + sisters on each), new keelbolts & floors, all new planking below the waterline (everywhere there was glass) & a new rudder. Been a 5+ year project.

Assuming you're not looking for a super long-term boat, it depends upon the reason he glassed it. Maybe the frames and planking are OK, and he didn't know what to do. Only an inspection will tell you. Nick's reservations re. tradesmanship worth noting too...

I wouldn't get excited about the motor, you'll pick one up elsewhere easily enough.

Quote Originally Posted by Garret View Post
    Don't want to drift the thread + I've been hounded to start a thread anyway - but all the frames were fixed (bottom 6 ft. replaced + sisters on each), new keelbolts & floors, all new planking below the waterline (everywhere there was glass) & a new rudder. Been a 5+ year project.
    Tenacious ! Congratulations !

Traditionally-built boats do not fare well with fiber-glassing the undersides for a permanent fix, although lifetime may be enhanced by 5-7 years.

Does it make much difference glassing with epoxy-based or polyester-based resin ?

Quote Originally Posted by carioca1232001 View Post
    Tenacious ! Congratulations !

Traditionally-built boats do not fare well with fiber-glassing the undersides for a permanent fix, although lifetime may be enhanced by 5-7 years.

Does it make much difference glassing with epoxy-based or polyester-based resin ?
    Tenacious? More like just not very bright...

Dunno if there's a difference - but I do know it takes a lot more work to sand off epoxy!

Am I the only one that noticed that there were no apparent access areas below the cabin floors? There's not enough there to part out.

I can't do a survey from here. When I'm interested in a boat I go see it, if I can drive there and back in a day. I agree that fiberglass can hide a multitude of sins, but it is not always a death sentence. In 1991 I bought a 20' sloop that had been glassed in the seventies. She was solid and sailed well for the eight years I had her, which meant she had been glassed over twenty years. The next owner used her for a couple of years, then left her uncovered in his yard. Rainwater and leaves killed that boat.

Why put a lot of work and money into a low end boat? Find a boat that is a higher quality vessel if you are going to start a project.

Many fishboats from the 40s-50-60s been poly glassed here, some of then still going.....but then some of them have a skin almost an inch thick, but for sure they do end up rotting from the inside, but it can take a while. Always a risky buy unless you know the exact history and know who did the work and how it has been looked after/neglected.

Quote Originally Posted by navydog View Post
    Oh man, that IS nice. And fishing is everything I want to do with it too...

Go in person to the place listed in the ad that has supposedly been caring for the boat and ask every question you can about the hull and running gear. Make sure they know what they are doing and talking about. The boat seems ok. Later in life, it appears that it could be turned into a nice large cabin cruiser for the Great Loop.

It's only a few days of cruising from the other boat down the ICW. Go look at it.

Guys, i want to, but right now, im in midwest working a job. I like the boat though... if its avaiable still when i head back east to finally make the purchase on my house, i will head to check it out.

Lol, you guys are wonderful peer pressure