Thread: Re: Tall Ship ding repair.

Default Re: Tall Ship ding repair.

I am in the midst of trying to figure out a method of speedy repair to a ding in the back of a tall ship. The red is where the hull is cold molded and it moves into the the transom which is where the bare wood is. i Figured a fiberglass patch would do the trick but i am not so sure anymore. Please advise as to the best way to repair so the boat can sail with out fear of water damage.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Not great pictures. I think that scarfing in a dutchman with epoxy to repair the transom might be feasible. However I cannot see enough of the side shell to want to comment. What does it look like on the inside? Any cracking or movement there?
    It really is quite difficult to build an ugly wooden boat.

The power of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web
    The weakness of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web.

That looks serious enough to seek the advise of a local surveyor. It is really hard to tell of structural damage has occurred just from the pictures. Insurance may need to be dealt with on this one. How much wood is behind that strip planking and how is it backed up in that area?
    Jay

I have to agree with Jay.

Assuming you have dealt with the insurance and a surveyor, and this is a temporary repair to get the boat on the water until she can be laid up for the winter for a more permanent repair, I might offer a suggestion. While it might not be the best idea, the criticism and alternative suggestions that will surely follow will be worth considering.

Is this the Friends Good Will? Is the ding just above the end of the chain on the starboard side?

http://www.grandhaventribune.com/Loc...or-repair-work

The pictures give little idea of the scale of the damage, but the word ding in the title suggests it is not a major structural problem. A tape measure and a photo showing more of the surrounding area will help. If that is a Phillips head screw in the lower left corner of the picture, this is maybe 6" across? It looks like there is a crack extending from the divot halfway to the fitting. The black paint hides a lot of detail. Perhaps you could lighten it up a bit with some talcum powder.

If this is a temporary repair,I would grind out any damaged wood with a disc sander with a 16 grit disk. For filler, something easy to grind out later and somewhat flexible to prevent a hard spot that might want to crack. Glass or Dynel cloth covering is a good idea. Dynel is flexible, so a thin non structural patch can move with the wood without cracking. For filler, the simplest might be System 3 Gel Magic, since it is somewhat flexible and there is no thickener to mix, but it might not grind out so easily. For a thickened bog patch, If I had to go out and buy the epoxy, I would order either System 3 G-2 or West G-FLex. If I had a gallon of any decent epoxy on hand, I'd probably just use that. Whatever epoxy you use other than gel magic I would thicken with phenolic microballoons because it will be a lot easier to grind out. Apply the patch, cloth and all, cover with way paper or polyethylene and screw on a piece of 1/4" plywood to make a smooth repair. If you are lucky, you can pull off the ply and paper and paint over the patch without much cleanup or sanding. This looks like a reasonably obscure spot, so a fine finish isn't needed. Epoxy thickened with micro balloons is about half as strong as neat epoxy, and that is half as strong as epoxy thickened with milled or chopped glass fiber. In other words, a lot stronger than most people make it out to be. The cloth should extend a few inches past the filled cavity. Unless you use a much larger, very thick, multi layer glass patch, the glass is mostly along for the ride.
    Management is the art of counting beans. Leadership is the art of making every being count. --Joe Finch

I'd want to know what's going on inside the boat at the repair site. Often, the ding on the outside can be more grievous on the other side. ( Think how croquet balls or billiard balls transfer force.)

Kevin
    There are two kinds of boaters: those who have run aground, and those who lie about it.