X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • gypsie
    NSW Australia
    • Jun 2010

Re: Prediction how it will play out between Kim/Trump

It appears to be skimmed over that Trump has declared that the USA has been the bad guy all the time.
    I'm sure that will be useful for his future 'deals' to build condo's on NK beaches, but it undermines existing US policy and makes life hard for furture US administrations to manage the area.

The man should never have been given that job.
    It's all fun and games until Darth Vader comes.

Comment

• BrianW
      not your average member
      • Nov 2002

Originally posted by gypsie
      I'm sure that will be useful for his future 'deals' to build condo's on NK beaches, but it undermines existing US policy and makes life hard for furture US administrations to manage the area.
      Yeah, if peace breaks out, it's gonna be tough for the next President. Best to stick with existing US policy of loading the DMZ with troops and waiting for the North Korean big guns to wipe out Seoul and the surrounding 25 million people. All the while another 25 million in North Korea live in ignorant squalor.
      Last edited by BrianW; 06-13-2018, 11:58 PM.
      “Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime.”― Mark Twain,

Comment

• BrianW
        not your average member
        • Nov 2002

Originally posted by George Jung
        You so want to support trump. Didn’t know you were so flexible.
        That really is the crux for some. I can't think if an issue to date which has made it more clear.
        “Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime.”― Mark Twain,

Comment

• RFNK
          Port Stephens, Australia
          • Feb 2007

Imagine the squealing from Trump supporters and the rest of the gun nuts if Obama had agreed to withdraw US troops from Sth Korea or even considered the idea. How funny it is to see the mad right supporting agreements with and cuddling up to a (supposedly) ultra-left Stalinist!

But don't get too excited - it's really all just noise; attention-seeking behaviour.

Rick
          Rick

Lean and nosey like a ferret

Comment

• BrianW
            not your average member
            • Nov 2002

Originally posted by RFNK
            Imagine the squealing from Trump supporters and the rest of the gun nuts if Obama had agreed to withdraw US troops from Sth Korea or even considered the idea.
            True, it would reek of the same 'partisan before peace' rhetoric we get now from liberals. It's just like you imagine except it's real now.

BTW, removal of US troops from South Korea is something Trump has talked about in the past, but it was not part of the conversation with Kim in Singapore. So until that hits the bargaining table, it's fluff.

How funny it is to see the mad right supporting agreements with and cuddling up to a (supposedly) ultra-left Stalinist!
            If it's funny, it's funny with a positive bent. Anyone who wishes to improve the SK/NK situation is going to have to talk nice to Kim. What's also funny, but in a negative way, is the American lefts desire to see the process fail.

Both funny, but one funny could lead to peace, the other to a status quo.

Comment

• oznabrag
              Historical Illiterate
              • Nov 2008

Imagine the squealing from Trump supporters and the rest of the gun nuts if Obama had agreed to withdraw US troops from Sth Korea or even considered the idea. How funny it is to see the mad right supporting agreements with and cuddling up to a (supposedly) ultra-left Stalinist!

But don't get too excited - it's really all just noise; attention-seeking behaviour.

Rick
              Imagine the squealing if O'Bama had decided to have a cup of coffee.
              Rattling the teacups.

Comment

• RFNK
                Port Stephens, Australia
                • Feb 2007

Originally posted by BrianW
                True, it would reek of the same 'partisan before peace' rhetoric we get now from liberals. It's just like you imagine except it's real now.

BTW, removal of US troops from South Korea is something Trump has talked about in the past, but it was not part of the conversation with Kim in Singapore. So until that hits the bargaining table, it's fluff.

If it's funny, it's funny with a positive bent. Anyone who wishes to improve the SK/NK situation is going to have to talk nice to Kim. What's also funny, but in a negative way, is the American lefts desire to see the process fail.

Both funny, but one funny could lead to peace, the other to a status quo.
                The truth is that it's all fluff! Also funny how dealing sensibly with Iran is a form of weakness but being nice to Mr Un is a clever, pragmatic strategy. The truth is that Trump will achieve SFA in Korea, sadly, and also in Iran. I also think it's about time that you Trump disciples came up with something other than suggesting that those of us who actually have affection for the real American dream, or the potential of America, at least, are wanting to see the US fail. The simple fact is that a minority of you have elected a total FWIT narcissist who really is doing enormous damage and, at least some of us, don't want to see that damage done. So yes, we'll be happy if Trump disappears sooner rather than later! For the record, if, by some miracle, Mr Un either changes his ways or is flushed away by his long-suffering slaves, then I, for one, will be very happy indeed and very willing to give credit wherever it's due. But I don't see Trump as anything like a positive influence in Korea or anywhere else.

A fairly prominent commentator here said, some years ago, that in Trump, the US finally have a president who behaves like an American. I think that was a very unfair comment. I've known some pretty obnoxious Americans but they're very much in the minority, in my experience. I've never actually met an American who behaved as badly as Trump does. He seems to have no redeeming features at all!

Rick
                Rick

Comment

• RFNK
                  Port Stephens, Australia
                  • Feb 2007

Originally posted by oznabrag
                  Imagine the squealing if O'Bama had decided to have a cup of coffee.
                  True! In fact, we don't even need to imagine - we just need to remember!

Rick
                  Rick

Comment

• Jim Mahan
                    me 𑀩 thinking
                    • Mar 2006

He's still a criminal and traitor in my eyes but even broken clocks are right twice a day.
                    He almost inadvertantly made a righteous pardon a while back. That's not right twice a day. That's once. By mistake; he forgot to be evil and totally unempathetic about it, and a good thing happened anyway.

So you think he's a crook and a traitor, a capital crime, but you think he'll pull off peace on the Korean peninsula? Because he's gonna get lucky, because he's trmp? Because he's just so damn good at making deals?

Even if trmp, at the so-called summit, was a taxidermied lump of sawdust in a stretched-too-tight orange pelt, and never said a single word or blinked or even stood to shake hands, it would've been a better 'deal' for the U.S. and anyone downwind of PyongYang.

Because Kim.

[Rant, not at anyone here in particular.] And his last name is not Un. It isn't mister Un. Kim. Like Kim Il Sung and Kim Jung Il. [/rant]

That makes generations of smart, getting away with it smart, better than trmp smart by orders of magnitude, just like with his idol Vlad. I would love to be a fly on the wall at Kim's after the meeting. Can you just imagine what a hoot they are all having not getting aced with an anti-aircraft gun and laughing, laughing all the while about 'little rocket man' schooling the SFB-in-chief.

Right twice a day? Pick a day. You can have this one, so pick any other day that he's right about anything, and I'll concede there may be peace and a unified Korea advancing through the ages due to trmp's statesmanship.

Listen. You can still hear them chortling in Korean. 'Stupid Americans. It's a wonder they can find the supermarket without a smart phone. Are they all like that? How come we're not invading already?'

Comment

• RFNK
                      Port Stephens, Australia
                      • Feb 2007

Actually, i have some sympathy for Pompeo regarding his Mr Un faux pas. Anyone who's worked in East Asia will know why.

Rick
                      Rick

Comment

• Jim Mahan
                        me 𑀩 thinking
                        • Mar 2006

Actually, i have some sympathy for Pompeo regarding his Mr Un faux pas. Anyone who's worked in East Asia will know why.
                        The new SOS, and former head of the CIA, and former U.S. representative from Kansas, graduate of the U.S. military academy, and infantry Captain—is who got the name thing backwards? It's worse than I had supposed...

"First as a private citizen and then as a member of Congress, and even today, the Heritage Foundation has shaped my thinking on matters of the world and public policy issues."
                        No wonder. Sympathy isn't on my radar for the trmpreytenders.

Comment

• RFNK
                          Port Stephens, Australia
                          • Feb 2007

Understandable. But t's not so much any difficulty in us getting nomenclature close to acceptable there, it's more the variety of names we get from translators there ..... Can be very funny!

Rick
                          Rick

Comment

• Jim Mahan
                            me 𑀩 thinking
                            • Mar 2006

Well, that, too. I lived three years in Taipei and one in S. Korea. I had the language in the one, but not in the other; the experiences were different as night and oranges. Many examples of funny accidents of translation. The tailor shop on the main drag in Taipei, Jung Shan Bei Lu, where the store-front wasn't wide enough for the English sign the new owner had had made, so he just chopped off the last bit of it and hung it anyway, which turned the shop from 'High Class Tailor' to 'High Class Tail.'

Amber said 'What?'

Comment

Working...