Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Planking material for a 38' cruiser

South Puget Sound/summer Eastern carib./winter

Default Re: Planking material for a 38' cruiser

That's freakin cool if you can re purpose Victorias planking for stringers and ceiling and what not!

Quote Originally Posted by wizbang 13 View Post
    That's freakin cool if you can re purpose Victorias planking for stringers and ceiling and what not!
    That's the hope!

We are going to get Arabella framed and get into planking then sometime during/after planking we will pull Victoria apart and see what's what and make some decisions. She was built in 1926 out of mahogany from Honduras, Oregon Pine and cedar from I don't know where. A lot of her is punky and rotten but a lot is not. Whatever is solid we will use, it's far too good of timber to just toss! Does old growth Honduras mahogany even exist anymore?

The hope is the planking will become the ceiling, or at least dingy planking, the spars will get shaved down for the mizzen spars, she has what look to be grown mahogany knees that seem to be solid I hope to reuse and whatever mahogany is good will get reused, most likely in the interior. The mahogany interior is close to mint and we will absolutely reuse all of that. I hope we can savage enough good sized mahogany timbers to make the sole of the cockpit out of mahogany. The middle of the keel timber seems pretty solid, maybe we can re-saw the cockpit sole from that timber. Good thing we own a big band saw =)

It will take a significant amount of time to carefully take her apart, clean up the lumber and figure out how best to use them but I think it will be time well spent.

Seems like cedar is the top choice and not quite as expensive as I thought it would be so I will work on rounding up some quotes and see what we can come up with. Thanks for the suggestions of the suppliers, it's great to have a good starting point at the very least.

I think this thread can be wrapped up and I'll get back to the main thread about the build itself.

Thanks for the input it's much appreciated!!
    ACORN TO ARABELLA
    For additional info on this project:

www.acorntoarabella.com
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCAi...WB1xCp6uuUo0VA

I mentioned it on the other thread but Gannon And Benjamin plank their big schooners with Silverbali from Surinam. I’m not sure if it’s available right now but they will know. Duke from NE Naval Timbers might know of a source, I think G&B got it from Brad Ives.

Since you mentioned spars, there are some on LI that might do:
    https://longisland.craigslist.org/bp...582538187.html

I don't know how you would move them, though I think I remember a WB article about a spar over a trailer and the tow vehicle.

Those spars are probably a good deal.....with fittings. I think they would end up being cheaper to buy and ship to your location than building from scratch......

Quote Originally Posted by johngsandusky View Post
    Since you mentioned spars, there are some on LI that might do:
    https://longisland.craigslist.org/bp...582538187.html

I don't know how you would move them, though I think I remember a WB article about a spar over a trailer and the tow vehicle.

I have seen those spars before, seems selling them has not been a easy task.

If we had the cash kicking around I would seriously consider it but we have bronze, rivets and planking stock to buy and we need all that before we need the spars =)

If the spars are still for sale next summer we might snatch them up, they sure look to be in good shape and all the bronze hardware looks delightful as well!
    ACORN TO ARABELLA
    For additional info on this project:

www.acorntoarabella.com
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCAi...WB1xCp6uuUo0VA