Thread: Relaunching strip planked H-28 after 16 years stored in a barn

Default Relaunching strip planked H-28 after 16 years stored in a barn

Reposting from WB Forum Facebook page: Thanks for the helpful replies on FB, redirecting to the Forum. Ive done some minimal searching, and welcomes directions to previous threads and/or search terms

I could use some advice... I pulled the cover off my H-28 this week. For some complicated reasons she has been stored in a barn since 2002, the last time she has been in the water. She was built by my grandfather in 1960, strip planked cedar over oak frames. Other than being filthy, a few birds nests under the cover and a mouse running across the deck she looks pretty much like I left her. I last sailed her on a 300 mile cruise, and she was in good working order when she was stored.

I’m concerned about a few things: 1) There is some evidence on the hull of diesel saturation that may have leaked/dripped inside the hull from the fuel tank which I need to further investigate. 2) Will she fully swell up and seal after so many years on the hard. 3) I was greeted by a mouse running across the deck while pulling the cover, how many and what other critters have made her their home? 4) She has a Vetus 3 cyl diesel, was running well on the cruise but what has happened in the interim. 5) What else will I find? I plan to spend time over the summer getting her in shape to launch, and hope to have her back in the water before the fall. Any advice or experiences with similar long layups is much appreciated.

Default Re: Relaunching strip planked H-28 after 16 years stored in a barn

Welcome to WBF! Hope to see lots of photos as your project progresses!
    Last edited by DeniseO30; 06-09-2018 at 03:15 PM.
    Denise, Bristol PA, Oday30, Anchor Yacht Club, On tidal Delaware River. my current project; http://forum.woodenboat.com/showthre...0-Ducker-Resto

South Puget Sound/summer Eastern carib./winter

Hi Jack,
    I'm Bruce Smith from the facebook page.
    Best way to start here is with photos .
    We need technical photos of her construction and her condition.
    You mentioned she is glued, if we can figure what kind of glue...
    Inside photos of her floors, frame connections.
    Photos of the diesel.
    Photos of your areas of concern...are there gaps now in the planks or glue seams?
    Several guys here have some real fine H 28's .The fact that this boat is a family heirloom makes her over the top.
    I mentioned the possibility of dynel sheathing her...this is the place to go into a detailed discussion about the pros and cons of that .

bruce

Can the boat be sheathed if some planks are saturated with diesel?

I'd say get them un saturated..as best as one can. Solvents , re absorption into something else (clay), toothing up of the area and seal with CPES...stuff like that .
    I'm guessing a diesel soaked area may not be all that big .

Quote Originally Posted by johnw View Post
    Can the boat be sheathed if some planks are saturated with diesel?
    That bit of the boat will never rot.
    It really is quite difficult to build an ugly wooden boat.

The power of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web
    The weakness of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web.

I posted a piece on how to remove oil from wooden decks several years ago. I did a search but could not locate it so, here is the gist of how it is done. This method really does work!
    You need naphtha, which is used for dry cleaning. It is now a restricted product and may be hard to locate but it is the only solvent I know that will truly do the job. #2 find a swimming pool cleaner or supply and purchase a pound of diatomaceous earth. Make a paste out of the naphtha and powder and spread it on the diesel soaked wood. Let it remain till the naphtha has evaporated. The powder has absorbed the diesel so dispose of the powder and apply as many coats as it take to remove the oil from the wood. Scubbing the damp powder into the wood will help as well.
    Note that Naphtha is inflammable as well as nasty to breath so do this in a "very well ventilated area!" By all means, avoid breathing the fumes! I expect to hear from a lot of naysayers on this but it is the only solution I know of. So, I appolgise to all of you Greenies in advance.
    This spot is a mixture of bee's wax and pine tar that was spilled. It has been wiped up with naphtha but is soaked deep into the wood.
    Last edited by Jay Greer; 06-10-2018 at 02:36 PM.

Now the paste of naptha and diatomaceous earth is being applied, scrubbed into the spot and allowed to dry.

When the naphtha has evaporated, the oil soaked powder is vacuumed up.

Here is the result.
    Jay

Jack, we all are happy to hear from another H28 owner! It would be nice, for us all, to see pictures of your boat as soon as you are able! Looking forward to seeing her in the water too!
    Jay

Jay, have you ever tried the diatomaceous earth without the naphtha? It is a very effective absorbent all by itself so I wonder if it could suck the contaminant out of the deck alone. I use V&P naphtha a lot as a general solvent. It will remove tape residue better than just about anything. And it is very kind to existing finishes. I can visualize how the pasty combination could be effective.

Jeff

Yes Jeff, it is the best oil absorbing material I have tried as yet. But, the Naptha does, greatly, accelerate is effectiveness. It is also great on shop floors!
    Jay

I think your boat will swell tight again, the planking easiest, the backbone slower. The diesel may well be alright too. Change the water, oil and fuel and see if it turns over with a wrench. Be sure that the stop is engaged, you don't want to start it. Turning will tell you that it's not frozen, and you'll feel the compression.
    Keep us posted and good luck.

Strip built boats aren't designed with drying out and cracking the seams in mind. It might swell together and seal up but it might not. Instead of putting in and finding out it won't stop leaking I'd fix it first.

Saw the cracked seams and epoxy a strip in. Toe nail new fasteners across the seam. Set the nail heads, fill, sand & paint.

There's a thread on here by Larks. Find it. Very similar scenario. You might find his water bath a useful idea. Set some mouse and rat bait. You probably do t want to spline while she's bone dry. When she does get wet she may swell up and explode. Well, not explode, but self destruct.

All, Thanks for the replies. I’ve had many requests to post pictures of the H-28, I am going to start with a series from her build in 1959-60. She was built by my grandfather, John Baker.
    Attached Images Attached Images

The next few are in the slings ready for launch (1960) and then a few under sail.

These are @20 years ago near Essex CT before trailering to MI.

These final two (for now) were taken last week in her storage barn after removing her cover. I only have these two quick pictures of her current status. The yard is going to pull her outside in the next week or two so I have access to power and water and can begin further investigation of her readiness to hopefully launch before the summer is over. It will be a few weeks until I can post detailed pictures of the concerns I’ve identified, and those I find. I will post some additional pictures in the interim taken during her last cruise in 2002, for those that appreciate the beauty of the H-28. Again, thanks for your interest and helpful comments.

She looks great. Launch and go!

Quote Originally Posted by DeniseO30 View Post
    Welcome to WBF! Hope to see lots of photos as your project progresses!
    Denise, I posted a first set of pictures of the H-28 per your request. Most are from her build, I only have a few recent pictures, more to follow.

Hi Jack, I’m rebuilding a huon pine strip planked H28 that has been laid up in my shed for far too long because I work away from home, but if it helps I have been through much of what you seem to be questioning in your original post. With heavy shrinkage of the deadwood when I first left her then recovery by fitting a bath around her. I’ve also repaired a number of opened up glued seams with splines but the huon pine of my hull has a very low shrinkage characteristic. So as Phil alluded, if you do need to spline do some research into the cedar shrinkage rates and moisture content and so on - though I understand cedar to have a low shrinkage rate also so it may not be that much different to huon pine...?

For what help it may be and if you are interested in trawling through it, here’s my thread that shows (somewhere in it) the deadwood shrinkage and bath setup and the repairs to the seams.

It also includes some terrific advice from other forum members that have helped me along the way, including the always especially invaluable advice from Jay Greer.

http://forum.woodenboat.com/showthre...ild&highlight=
    Last edited by Larks; 06-13-2018 at 07:42 AM.
    Larks

“It’s impossible”, said pride.
    “It’s risky”, said experience.
    “It’s pointless”, said reason.
    “Give it a try”, whispered the heart.

LPBC Beneficiary

"Keep away from people who try to belittle your ambitions. Small people always do that, but the really great make you feel that you, too, can become great!"

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Baker View Post
    Denise, I posted a first set of pictures of the H-28 per your request. Most are from her build, I only have a few recent pictures, more to follow.
    Cool! Don't see any lines in the planking so I'm guessing she has some kind of covering, they were using fiberglass back in the day, hopefully you'll know more when you get her out!
    Denise, Bristol PA, Oday30, Anchor Yacht Club, On tidal Delaware River. my current project; http://forum.woodenboat.com/showthre...0-Ducker-Resto

Jay, Thanks for your suggestions on naphtha/oil removal, especially for taking the time to post the pictures. I am just getting started on investigating her current status but that is the area of concern I’m most concerned about. The barn is so tight with boatyard stuff crammed in around her Im anxious to get her outside with access to power and water so I can do a deep clean inside and out to better investigate her status. She was stored inside, under cover so with any luck the problem areas may not be too concerning. I’ll be back with many more questions I’m sure.

Denise, no there is no covering. I wooded the hull in 2001-2 above the waterline and it was in remarkably good shape. at the time I did a cursory bottom scraping/sanding and added a coat of bottom paint. She tightened right up at that time when I put her in the water. The plan is after further inspection to remove all the bottom paint so I can address the diesel saturated area per Jay’s suggestions and see if the span of time has caused other concerns. Since my Grandfather sold her in the late 60s, she has only had two other owners before I bought her in the late 90s and both took meticulous care of her. I am sad about having to leave her stored so long, but a complicated set of issues prevented spending the time and resources (other than indoor storage). I am excited about getting her back in the water hopefully this summer.

Well just by looking at the pictures she looks pretty tight but you'll know when you get her pulled out, I don't see that you're going to have a lot of problems other than dealing with a diesel smell, lol.
    Woodenboats stored it out in the sun seem to suffer the most, but then everything seems to suffer from sunlight.

Strip planking is superior in every way.

build pic... looks like he was using Resorcinol?

LOVE this!

Yes she is looking good! Love those trucks on the mastheads! LFH was prone to making them in his shop at the Castle and presenting them to the owners as a gift.
    Jay

Jay, is there a direct link to an album of pictures of Bright Star? I found some of them by looking through your index of posts, beautiful boat, beautiful work! Since I was a kid learning to sail the H-28 with my grandpa I have always loved the lines of the H-28. He put the raised doghouse on her (I have exact standing headroom, not even room for a piece of cardboard about my cap) so he and I are about the same size. As raised H-28 doghouses go, it is one of the better looking ones but if I ever require repairs on the cabin roof/sides I would rebuilt it closer to original plans ala Bright Star. He also utilized the late 50's "new fangled wood grain" linoleum on the interior bulkheads only (ugh, what was he thinking), one of the first things I did circa 2001 was scuff and paint them white so the interior is painted white and mahogany with a very classic look.

IMG_5453.jpg

Seeing the light of day for the first time since 2002... one step at a time!

Jack, you can look up pictures and a running comment on our H28 on this forum by searching, Jay and Anne Greer's H28 Bright Star .
    Incidentally, your boat is of the same color scheme as our boat when we bought her, white with a red boot stripe and a blue bottom.
    We later switched over to the original Herreshoff color code of white topsides with a Navy blue boot and a green bottom.
    Jay & Annie