Thread: Outboard on a Chamberlain Dory Skiff?

Default Outboard on a Chamberlain Dory Skiff?

I wonder if anyone has ever used an outboard engine with a home built Chamberlain dory skiff.
    I want to eventually use a small 2-6 hp engine on whatever boat I decide to build, so any input would be great.

Thanks.

Default Re: Outboard on a Chamberlain Dory Skiff?

Quote Originally Posted by DylanL View Post
    I wonder if anyone has ever used an outboard engine with a home built Chamberlain dory skiff.
    I want to eventually use a small 2-6 hp engine on whatever boat I decide to build, so any input would be great.

Thanks.
    My Dad did... he had to sit in the bow/ mast thwart to keep the bow lowenough to see over it! a 6 hp would be way too much, a 2 hp could go against any wind or weather and a 40 lb thrust trolling motor would be perfect.

if you want to build a round-sided dory type designed for an outboard, consider the Duck Trap Harbor Skiff. It has more bearing aft for the weight of an outboard and operator than a Chamberlain version. You can get full size lofting, plank patterns and a booklet or CD that shows the entire build process: http://ducktrapstore.com/harbor-skiff-plan-lofting/
    Last edited by rbgarr; 06-09-2018 at 09:09 AM.
    If I had a dollar for every girl who found me unattractive, eventually they would find me attractive.

Thanks for the reply.

I might look into building something a bit bigger.

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel Noyes View Post
    My Dad did... he had to sit in the bow/ mast thwart to keep the bow lowenough to see over it! a 6 hp would be way too much, a 2 hp could go against any wind or weather and a 40 lb thrust trolling motor would be perfect.

That looks like the ideal boat for me. I have the john Gardner book of dorys, this one might be in it.
    Has anyone here built one of these ? would be great to get some first hand info.

Thanks for the reply

Quote Originally Posted by rbgarr View Post
    if you want to build a round-sided dory type designed for an outboard, consider the Duck Trap Harbor Skiff. It has more bearing aft for the weight of an outboard and operator than a Chamberlain version. You can get full size lofting, plank patterns and a booklet or CD that shows the entire build process: http://ducktrapstore.com/harbor-skiff-plan-lofting/