Thread: Curved oars?

Default Curved oars?

I wonder if with the goal of saving space by being able to store a set of oars inside the sheer plank under a side deck anyone has made a set that conforms to the curve of the hull.

Default Re: Curved oars?

They would not work efficiently and catching a crab could be dangerous as it might cause the oar to rotate violently in the lock or crutch, injuring the user.

A set of curved oars successfully used for many years now for rowing and sculling in a Nutshell pram.

2013-05-23_17-38-10_711-1-768x1362.jpg
    "It's a pirate's life for me. Savvy??"

I think Gib meant curved over their entire length (?) to fit the curve of the hull. Which I think is a bad idea.

Si, no bueno!
    Jay

The only curved oars I know of are yulohs
    It really is quite difficult to build an ugly wooden boat.

The power of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web
    The weakness of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web.

I guess you could offset the pivot in the oar [maybe detach so no stowing obstruction?] or the lock. Feathering would be an issue so only square rowing unless the offset had an axial pivot - which in turn would be a water-grabber. Might be fun to play with tho'.
    bcmarinetrails.org - an attempt, by volunteers, to protect and enable 27,000 km of continuous camping and accesses along and around the whole Wild West Coast of British Columbia - for small beachable craft

There’s a lot wrong with the idea which a thought experiment will reveal. In use, forces on the pull dictate the curve must be fore and aft, with the outboard end curved forard. The blade would not sweep the optimum range of angles to the direction of travel, and to improve this enough by spooning defeats the intended ease of stowage. Catch a crab on the return and the oar would twist violently, possibly injuring your wrists. Feathering could not be done conventionally as this would twist the blade into the water. Enforcing squareness by pinning the oars would generate bad stresses when things went wrong.

It might work just fine...
    And worth a try I think, obviously the oars will not be the primary propulsion so a little inefficiency would be OK.

I don't want to find out badly enough to make a set, this just pops into my head once in a while. Another thread regarding ferrules got me going on it again. I expect Dick nailed it, they would be fine until it got rough.

Thanks for the replies.

I was given a set of oars once. One of them had a warped loom. I got about three strokes in and promptly returned to the beach. They burned well in the wood stove.

Jeff

Not surprised.

I suspect you'd have to either pin the oars in the locks, or use a non-rotating lock like the Gaco or other styles like Douglas.
    "The enemies of reason have a certain blind look."
    Doctor Jacquin to Lieutenant D'Hubert, in Ridley Scott's first major film _The Duellists_.

South Puget Sound/summer Eastern carib./winter

Sculling oar I hooked up for a 20 ' Bequia whaleboat

How the oars would be used: short distances, small boat, mooring to shore vs. longer distances, larger boat, rough water would determine what kind of oarlocks, pinning, etc., would work best if at all.
    "It's a pirate's life for me. Savvy??"

Quote Originally Posted by jpatrick View Post
    I was given a set of oars once. One of them had a warped loom. I got about three strokes in and promptly returned to the beach. They burned well in the wood stove.

Jeff
    Likewise, I once borrowed a 12' aluminum skiff with oars that were badly warped from sitting out in the weather (unvarnished) for years. It was an absolute nightmare to try to row! And while I know aluminum boats are not noted for being efficient "pulling boats," I have rowed similar (aluminum) boats successfully with decent oars. I spent so much time struggling with the crooked oars I don't think I got any fishing done!
    pvg