Thread: Wooden Mercury

Default Wooden Mercury

What do people think about a WOODEN 1950s Mercury, looks similar to Star design, keelboat, looks dirt cheap but probably has some issues either with keelbolts or tired sails/rigging? I have a basement full of sails, so I wouldn't much care about that--and it would not be for racing. It would be for SF recreational sailing and FOlsom Lake, which is near my house, with at least one launch capable of handling a keelboat with a just under 3 ft. draft...In front of The Fish, in Sausalito, a display exists of the same hull, glass, along the wharf. It is a damn good looking boat. I think the rigging would be annoying, but that is because I use mostly a lug or a race trainer with a simple cat rig. I also would not care a bit about altering the rig for ease in and out.

Last edited by davebrown; 06-08-2018 at 11:47 AM.
    Re-naming straits as necessary.

Default Re: Wooden Mercury

If I had a dollar for every girl who found me unattractive, eventually they would find me attractive.

Last time I was at Still Water Cove (Pebble Beach) there was still a bunch of Mercury's there....
    Good boats for SF Bay, and other local water.

IMG_4070.JPG
    Pebble Beach, Stillwater Yacht Club

Nice boats, not a lot of room in the cockpit, surprisingly little initial stability. It won't plane, and, if memory serves, it has 600 lb. of ballast, so it will need flotation in case of a knockdown.

South Puget Sound/summer Eastern carib./winter

My boy agrees with Bruce's version. He is after a mini speedboat.

Hollister, CA -- Paris of the West (not!)

I owned No. 450 for a spell. Lovely boats and you're unlikely to outgrow one. The rigging is almost infinitely tunable. As has been pointed out, the old girls are sinkers. They really offer a big boat feel in a small package. They are actively raced in SF Bay, Monterey Bay and some make it up to Huntington Lake in Fresno County each year for the High Sierra Regatta.

Quote Originally Posted by davebrown View Post
    What do people think about a WOODEN 1950s Mercury, looks similar to Star design, keelboat, looks dirt cheap but probably has some issues either with keelbolts or tired sails/rigging? I have a basement full of sails, so I wouldn't much care about that--and it would not be for racing. It would be for SF recreational sailing and FOlsom Lake, which is near my house, with at least one launch capable of handling a keelboat with a just under 3 ft. draft...In front of The Fish, in Sausalito, a display exists of the same hull, glass, along the wharf. It is a damn good looking boat. I think the rigging would be annoying, but that is because I use mostly a lug or a race trainer with a simple cat rig. I also would not care a bit about altering the rig for ease in and out.

Please don't change the rig!

Wonderful little keelboats. This was my first significant sailing boat. I crewed on a family friends woodie out of Stillwater Cove in 8th-10th grade.

I stared at that advertisement as well, but bought something else.

Yes, me too Alan. I bought a plastic Wayfarer, I know, shame, but I also have a wooden Wayfarer that I am supposed to pick up Monday. I can't sleep and can't eat. It's just awful.

I meant to ask, what did you buy and who ended up with that? It looked like a stunning buy from the photo. The one photo. That photo. HAHAHAH.