Thread: 2 piece oars...again

Default 2 piece oars...again

Have in hand the carbon fiber oar sleeves from Duckworks that I plan on using for two piece oars on my CY. They are going to be 10' long as the only good piece of clr fir I could find was 10'. Recommended length is 10'-6". Unless I hear different from others that maybe its not a good idea I wanted to divide them at 1/3 and 2/3's. I imagine there is going to be some flex at the joint and wondering if I should make that joint above the oarlocks or behind them. These will be just emergency oars and don't plan on doing a lot of rowing with them....I don't think. -Dan-

Default Re: 2 piece oars...again

I like a bit of flex in oars but others do not. It is a peronsal thing.
    Jay

The Van Duyne surfboats that the beach patrols use on the Jersey Shore use sea oars having a wooden blade and pintel and an aluminum tube loom. The blades are wide and look like they were cut from canoe paddles. The surfboats are worked hard, and don't seem to need much flex.

I have been thinking of making the sort of oar that you describe, a nine foot sea oar can be handy on the shallow Chesapeake, but there is no place to stow it on an 18 foot catboat.

Joe

Quote Originally Posted by jseymour View Post
    The Van Duyne surfboats that the beach patrols use on the Jersey Shore use sea oars having a wooden blade and pintel and an aluminum tube loom. The blades are wide and look like they were cut from canoe paddles. The surfboats are worked hard, and don't seem to need much flex.

I have been thinking of making the sort of oar that you describe, a nine foot sea oar can be handy on the shallow Chesapeake, but there is no place to stow it on an 18 foot catboat.

Joe
    I used to stow a long oar vertically on my head stay along with a 12' long boat hook ( florida sextant) when I had a 18' catboat.
    Ben Fuller
    Ran Tan, Liten Kuhling, Tipsy, Tippy, Josef W., Merry Mouth, Imp, Macavity, Look Far, Flash and a quiver of other 'yaks.
    "Bound fast is boatless man."

The stress on the joint close to the oar lock might be too much for the joint. Dividing in two pieces might work.
    Management is the art of counting beans. Leadership is the art of making every being count. --Joe Finch

Maybe the question was not clear. I want to make these as two piece oars but as one piece 3.5 ft in length and the other piece 6.5 ft in length. Any knowledgeable opinions on whether the 3.5 ft length should be the one closest to the loom or closest to the grip? Since the boat has a 6 ft plus beam, this sleeve will be out side the oarlocks in either case. So not being much of an experienced rower, and assuming there is going to be more flex in these oars in the sleeve area...do I want that added flex closer to the oarlock or to the loom? Dan

Quote Originally Posted by MN Dave View Post
    The stress on the joint close to the oar lock might be too much for the joint. Dividing in two pieces might work.

A little bird in my head says to have the shorter end by the blade. Mine, I just divided in half.
    I was born on a wooden boat that I built myself.

Quote Originally Posted by Dmq400 View Post
    Maybe the question was not clear. I want to make these as two piece oars but as one piece 3.5 ft in length and the other piece 6.5 ft in length. Any knowledgeable opinions on whether the 3.5 ft length should be the one closest to the loom or closest to the grip? Since the boat has a 6 ft plus beam, this sleeve will be out side the oarlocks in either case. So not being much of an experienced rower, and assuming there is going to be more flex in these oars in the sleeve area...do I want that added flex closer to the oarlock or to the loom? Dan
    I suppose you did describe a two piece oar and I thought you meant three pieces. I looked for a picture of the way stresses are distributed on a beam that was as close to an oar as I could find. The highest stress is at the oarlock, which would be the red area under the load. As you can see, the farther you can get from the oarlock, the lower the stress is on the oar. The pull on the oar grip is several times as much as the force on the blade, so moving the joint as far down the loom toward the blade as possible will minimize the load on the joint.

Edit: +1 about what John is about to say in the next post.
    Last edited by MN Dave; 06-11-2018 at 02:19 PM.
    Management is the art of counting beans. Leadership is the art of making every being count. --Joe Finch

Put the sleeve as far outboard as you can, thats where the leverage is least unfavourable. Those sleeves that Duckworks supply are really strong, and any movement that you get is more likely to be from a poor fit on the shaft than any flex from the sleeve, but still, thats the best place to put them.

John Welsford, who's used a couple of pairs of those sleeves.
    An expert is but a beginner with experience.

Wow! Much thanks for that engineered answer! Dan

If making oars for a CY that break down in pieces, why not go for something longer? The oars on my CY are dead stock and OK, but not really long enough for a single rower sitting on the center thwart - the handle ends are fairly far apart which make for inefficient rowing. Don't know how long to recommend, as that will depend on what you'll do with the oars when not in use but not broken into pieces -- store them on the gunwales? That's worked for my boat in tests, but wouldn't be good for hard sailing as they can catch the water as well as limit sitting on the gunwale.
    "The enemies of reason have a certain blind look."
    Doctor Jacquin to Lieutenant D'Hubert, in Ridley Scott's first major film _The Duellists_.

Didn't Harry Bryant do a piece on two piece oars for WB. I recall he had a pretty nice solution. The CY should minim go with the 10 1/2's If what you have is 10' I wonder if a blade could get glued on which could be pretty elegant.
    Ben Fuller
    Ran Tan, Liten Kuhling, Tipsy, Tippy, Josef W., Merry Mouth, Imp, Macavity, Look Far, Flash and a quiver of other 'yaks.
    "Bound fast is boatless man."