Thread: Realizing personal moments and seminlal milestones

Default Realizing personal moments and seminlal milestones

In the past 2 days I ended my epic ride, had an evening in Paris by myself and was home to drive my son and only child to his last day of high school.

admittedly I reflected very little profound thoughts or realizations in my mind as I zoomed through the beautiful European countries I passed at relatively modest speeds and enjoyed the high times I had. When in Paris in the late evening wrapped up from riding, I gobbled down a delicious apple and cinnamon crepe in Paris while walking towards Norte Dame before hopping a plane to come home to a busy week. I got home safely and with plenty of time to take a quick nap, rose with the alarm, made a simple cereal and banana breakfast for my child and do the quick 15 minute drive to his school.

in all things, our seminal personal moments are counted clearly in quick minutes and seconds. I would have traded that delicious crepe and skipped grand mountain pass if I could have added another 5 minutes to that car ride as a dad driving his much loved son to high school for the last time.
    Be wary of your critics, at peace with your decisions, and work hard to be a better man.

Default Re: Realizing personal moments and seminlal milestones

Congratulations.
    Keep calm, persistence beats resistance.

Yet, ironically, your personal moments, shared, brought vicarious pleasure to many in this venue.
    Thank you

Well done Ted, on all fronts.
    "Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome and charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime" Mark Twain... so... Carpe the living sh!t out of the Diem

I'd rather look back at my life and say "I can't believe I did that" instead of being there saying "I wish I'd done that"

Dammit, you brought back my daughter waving from the car as she headed off to college 23 years ago.

They do come back later, when they're older and you are too. We ride the Alps now so we know the route when they return to ride it with us. Eventually, you have everything in common again. Being a father isn't easy but it can be so sweet. It gets even better as they get older.
    One of the most enduring qualities of an old wooden boat is the smell it imparts to your clothing.

Quote Originally Posted by Lew Barrett View Post
    They do come back later, when they're older and you are too. We ride the Alps now so we know the route when they return to ride it with us. Eventually, you have everything in common again. Being a father isn't easy but it can be so sweet. It gets even better as they get older.
    i do count on that so.

i am suffering from some jet jag and tried to do a little work. Used the trip thread to keep from napping and keep my mind drifting. Yet my mind turns to time of me and my boy. I haven't been the perfect father I know I could have truly been and most likely should have professional help to address my own little demons which plagued my psyche. I am working to come to peace with what I helped shaped in my boys character and self esteem. had I known it went so fast... I would have double down on being there more and played catch after the lights came n.

after a celebratory graduation dinner at a local Italian restaurant on the estuary and when the pictures were all taken. The boy challenged me to a foot race back to the car... he let me start before and rapidly passed me in the stretch. After he won handily... my son said to me... "do more wind sprints Dad so you can keep up." I think I will be starting tomorrow.
    Be wary of your critics, at peace with your decisions, and work hard to be a better man.

Sounds like a great relationship Ted, you did well.

The windsprints won't overcome the years and his youth - but WTH - go for it! I believe Twain said 'Youth is wasted on the young' - and by the time we come to grips with that, we're old. That's life; regrets aren't worth much, except, perhaps, as a lesson on how to proceed, going forward.

Enjoyed your travelogue, btw. Thanks.
    There's a lot of things they didn't tell me when I signed on with this outfit....

Quote Originally Posted by Ted Hoppe View Post
    i do count on that so.

I haven't been the perfect father I know I could have truly been ........ .
    Par for the course.

It does get better. It just takes the time it takes to go full circle.
    One of the most enduring qualities of an old wooden boat is the smell it imparts to your clothing.