Thread: You can always tell a Texan

Default You can always tell a Texan

David G
    Harbor Woodworks
    http://www.harborwoodworking.com/boat.html

"It was a Sunday morning and Goddard gave thanks that there were still places where one could worship in temples not made by human hands." -- L. F. Herreshoff (The Compleat Cruiser)

Default Re: You can always tell a Texan

I've often wondered about those things when I see them in the stores. It sounds like he has too much macho and not enough brains.

geeeeeeeeeeeez.... i hate snakes. all of them. the new house we're in is close to water and woods. now we have rat snakes crawling through the yard. i hate them, but i won't kill a good rat snake b/c i've always been told if you get rid of them, that leaves room for poisonous snakes to thrive. i went bank fishing 2 years ago and when i pulled up i was the only one there. i fished for about 30 minutes and walked up on a decapitated cotton mouth. it was still moving its mouth. dead for at LEAST 30 minutes, and still moving.... yikes.

afloat with at least 6' of water under me.

I have no issues with snakes! I collected venom for 3 months one summer for the museum of Natural History. Was anyone bitten in my group, yup! the idiot put the snake bag on the road and there snake tagged him in the thumb through the bag. I suspect anyone who forces a snake into a bag would be a bit grumpy too.Deserved it! He was stupid as these two people were.

Some years ago I read an article (maybe in NEJM) about envenomations. They almost always involved young men and alcohol. While the ER is ethically bound to treat them, one hopes it also offers voluntary sterilization

Quote Originally Posted by AlanMc View Post
    ...i fished for about 30 minutes and walked up on a decapitated cotton mouth. it was still moving its mouth. dead for at LEAST 30 minutes, and still moving.... yikes.
    Rattlesnakes get all the press, but cottonmouths are the most dangerous. At least, they are the most aggressive. Those things make me very uncomfortable.

Wow! Lucky guy.

Once came across a Timber rattler while scrambling across some rocks in upstate New York. I pulled myself up-over and there was the snake about two feet away. I could have easily placed my hand on it while blindly looking for a purchase, which would have been bad. It was just luck that I didn't.

BTW--anitvenin costs about $2,500 a dose, which makes the treatment in the OP cost more than one-half million dollars in pharmacy costs alone!

Kevin
    There are two kinds of boaters: those who have run aground, and those who lie about it.

Last fall, my wife was watching TV in the living room at four in the morning because she couldn't sleep when she came in the bedroom and woke me up. "I think we have a gas leak in the atrium." "There's not a gas line within 200 feet of the atrium." "Well something is leaking."

I opened the door and sure enough, there was a distinctive hissing sound. I flipped the light on, took a couple of steps toward the sound and came eyeball to eyeball with a very pissed off diamondback that had his buzzer going full blast. From eight feet away, I slowly backed off and went back inside. At 9:00 (Saturday morning) I called the herpetological society and left a message. No response. At 11 I called a local snake charmer/removal service. He said it was the second largest snake he'd ever encountered - about 5'6". He said he took captured snakes out in the desert to a "relocation camp".

That snake didn't stop buzzing the entire time - over eight hours! $90 well spent.
    -------------

I was looking at an article about this headless bite incident and stumbled on another about the animal most deadly to humans. Snakes? Sharks? Spiders? Lions and tigers and bears? Nope.

Cows! Not even bulls, COWS.

https://gizmodo.com/which-animal-kil...ans-1825464039

Rib-eye's revenge? You decide.
    The best statement I've seen from this latest carnage came from a student who lived through it -

"My generation will not allow this to continue!"

Remember voting age is 18. Read it and weep reds.

^ ya gotta be real careful when you go cow-tippin’ That you’re on the uphill side of the cow.

Humans are the most deadly for humans, don't kid yourself!

Stupid bugger deserved to get bit. Wasting good meat that way.

Nothin' like a rattlesnake BBQ:

https://oureverydaylife.com/cook-bbq...ake-35415.html
    We're merely mammals. Let's misbehave! —Cole Porter

Quote Originally Posted by breakaway View Post
    wow! Lucky guy.

Once came across a timber rattler while scrambling across some rocks in upstate new york. I pulled myself up-over and there was the snake about two feet away. I could have easily placed my hand on it while blindly looking for a purchase, which would have been bad. It was just luck that i didn't.

Btw--anitvenin costs about $2,500 a dose, which makes the treatment in the op cost more than one-half million dollars in pharmacy costs alone!

Kevin
    “they halo-flighted him into the hospital," sutcliffe said, explaining she could not get to the emergency room quickly enough so met with an ambulance en-route. “a normal person who is going to get bit is going to get two to four doses of antivenom. He had to have 26 doses."
    26 x $2,500 = $65k.
    Rattling the teacups.

If'n you want to BBQ a rattler, when you chop off the head, pick it up with long-handled tongs and heave it into your neighbor's yard.

It's the Texan thing to do.

Quote Originally Posted by Chip-skiff View Post
    If'n you want to BBQ a rattler, when you chop off the head, pick it up with long-handled tongs and heave it into your neighbor's yard.

It's the Texan thing to do.
    You wouldn't know a Texan.
    Rattling the teacups.

Quote Originally Posted by oznabrag View Post
    You wouldn't know a Texan.
    My wife was born in Big Springs. So I not only know a Texan, but know one in the biblical sense as well.

I was hiking on a local trail in the foothills of L. A., when I saw a Rattlesnake (Western Diamondback) stretched out across the trail ahead of me, sunbathing. While I paused to plan my next move I saw a lady hiker, bedecked in Lycra, rapidly approaching from the opposite direction. She was focused intently on her phone which was 6 inches from her face, and didn't notice me or the snake. I called out, "Excuse me, you might not want to step on the snake...!"

Ralphie

Quote Originally Posted by Puttputt View Post
    ^ ya gotta be real careful when you go cow-tippin’ That you’re on the uphill side of the cow.
    Ahhh! Such wisdom! And no truer words ever spoken!!!

LMAO!!

At the risk of tread drift, I knew a milk cow that would chase my little rubber powered model airplanes. I was was faster, and she never got one to eat.

I wondered why she tried to drive him to the ER. Corpus Christi has 911 EMS.
    Then I disgoogled that the city of Corpus Christi charges folks $1360 for an emergency call and transport.
    Enlightened Texas social services.

Quote Originally Posted by oznabrag View Post
    26 x $2,500 = $65k.

Right you are, sir.

Kevin

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    There are two kinds of boaters: those who have run aground, and those who lie about it.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Bow View Post
    Then I disgoogled that the city of Corpus Christi charges folks $1360 for an emergency call and transport.
    You can always tell a Texan...
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks

"It was a Sunday morning and Goddard gave thanks that there were still places where one could worship in temples not made by human hands." -- L. F. Herreshoff (The Compleat Cruiser)

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Bow View Post
    More than that here!Distance, 15 miles!

We have 4 kinds of venomous snakes around here but they don't bother you much if you make a bit of noise.
    Only 2 of them are likely to kill you without intervention.

No way I'm ever going to Oz. I'd be worried every second about the drop-crocs, and the spider that leap at your face. And didn't I read something about an outbreak of zombie koalas???
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks

northern Georgia, or sometimes Mississippi Delta USA

A good many years ago, I was driving Skyline Drive in Virginia and saw a timber rattler in the road. I got a canoe paddle out of the back of the truck and picked it up and moved it out of the road. A couple that were walking along the road heading in that direction turned around and went back toward where they came from.

Did I mention the sharks?….. Or the jumping ants that have killed some people with allergies?…… Or the eucalypts that throw big branches at you in hot weather, or just fall over in the wet? Or the mad drivers on our freeways…..? But you have them don't you?

Cool Re: You can always tell a Texan

Keep calm, persistence beats resistance.