Thread: WoodenBoat Festival and Viking Days at Mystic 2018

Default WoodenBoat Festival and Viking Days at Mystic 2018

Will be heading for Mystic next week with my Afjordsfaering in tow as I'm involved setting up a mini viking style fleet for the Viking style festival. We will have 4 faerings, mine, a Sognebat, one from Nordlands and an Oselvar. Mine will be there for the following weekend at the WoodenBoat show. Who is going to both? To one or the other?
    Ben Fuller
    Ran Tan, Liten Kuhling, Tipsy, Tippy, Josef W., Merry Mouth, Imp, Macavity, Look Far, Flash and a quiver of other 'yaks.
    "Bound fast is boatless man."

Default Re: WoodenBoat Festival and Viking Days at Mystic 2018

Might one anticipate the consumption of a fair amount of mead, or at least a good local beer?

I will be at Mystic Saturday for the Viking days and am looking forward to the faerings. After months on the waiting list, I got into the Faering building course at the Wooden Boat school in ME. Jay Smith is teaching the course. Will leave for ME Sunday morning and miss the wood boat show for the first time in a long time, but I am sure that it will be worth it.
    Fred

Which boat was up on the deck near the new exhibit building? Approx a 25 footer. --Wade

Quote Originally Posted by wtarzia View Post
    Which boat was up on the deck near the new exhibit building? Approx a 25 footer. --Wade
    That apparently was a 'model' of the Draken, must have been 25% of the size of the actual, big enough to be used.
    Ben Fuller
    Ran Tan, Liten Kuhling, Tipsy, Tippy, Josef W., Merry Mouth, Imp, Macavity, Look Far, Flash and a quiver of other 'yaks.

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Fuller View Post
    That apparently was a 'model' of the Draken, must have been 25% of the size of the actual, big enough to be used.
    --- Thanks (sorry for delay, just saw this answer). What do you know about the steering-board profile? I noted that it has an asymmetric foil shape, with the flatter side nearest the hull. I wondered if this was because the foil in two different pressure fields, so it performed best with the flat side toward the the stream between it and hull to reduce venturi effects, and the Vikings intuitively figured this out? -- Wade

Quote Originally Posted by wtarzia View Post
    --- Thanks (sorry for delay, just saw this answer). What do you know about the steering-board profile? I noted that it has an asymmetric foil shape, with the flatter side nearest the hull. I wondered if this was because the foil in two different pressure fields, so it performed best with the flat side toward the the stream between it and hull to reduce venturi effects, and the Vikings intuitively figured this out? -- Wade
    Don't know much about this. My guess is that it evolved into what works best. What you see when you look at indigenous boat design is full scale itereations and what we see is results over a long period of time. I know that double leeboard sailing canoes went asymmetric like this.
    Ben Fuller

That's interesting!

They did a lot of research examining steering oars in the museums and at Roskilde on the Sea Stallion, then tank testing (I think at NTNU) before months of field testing configurations of oar shapes and lengths. The attachment point was also a huge problem. After going with modern webbings and cable, which failed under use, they gave the original method a chance. That held up.

So, both the steering oar and the attachment are worth using some time looking over if you get a chance to visit the Harald Hårfagre.

I'll also venture a guess that the "model" they had on exhibit was the scale boat they built for testing hull shape before building the full scale boat. Used for tank testing and 'on the water'. The project was not just a quick let's build a viking warship by some guys with time and money. It was a full blown research project that involved a cross section of research institutions and universities in addition to boat building expertise. A couple years of research and testing went into the project before the build began.

The Darken Harald Hårfagre is on a US east coast tour this summer. Currently it is located in Rockland Me.

https://www.drakenhh.com/east-coast-tour-2018

The single leeboard on my lapstrake sailing canoe is sailed with the flat side against the boat.

Living a beautiful life... FREE FREE AT LAST!!

sigh... so far... sigh... sigh
    .................................................. ...................
    Nil illegitimi carborundum = Never let the bastards wear you down

Quote Originally Posted by Wild Dingo View Post
    sigh... so far... sigh... sigh
    Well stun me with a brick, where have you been hiding mate?
    The definition of stupid has got to be the belief that more guns will negate the bloodshed done with guns.