Default Re: Firearms training video

At a school?
    '' You ain't gonna learn what you don't want to know. ''
    Grateful Dead

No, a bar, I think

South Puget Sound/summer Eastern carib./winter

Gotta pixel his face....protect the secret agents identity.
    WTF, he stuffs it in his WAISTBAND??

Quote Originally Posted by wizbang 13 View Post
    Gotta pixel his face....protect the secret agents identity.
    WTF, he stuffs it in his WAISTBAND??
    at my attorney's request i took his son in law fishing years ago
    i had never met him before, he was in town for the holidays
    we had a great day, late in the day he bent over and his shirt slipped up and i saw that he was carrying a concealed handgun
    he saw that i had saw, that's when he told me he was in anti terrorism for the fbi
    i said, 'we don't see too many terrorist out here on the river in central alabama you know'
    he said, ' i'm required to carry at all times.'
    i thinking to myslef, 'good thing i didn't spark up a doobie'
    at the end of the day he said he had a great time and he handed me his card, 'he said if you ever need it call me, it might be a get out of jail free card.'

i haven't needed it yet
    but i still got it though
    Simpler is better, except when complicated looks really cool.

Nice that he just throws up his hands and walks away without regard to where the bullet may have gone.
    Although he may have just realized that his career is now over.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Woodward View Post
    Nice that he just throws up his hands and walks away without regard to where the bullet may have gone.
    I took the hands up as 'hands up don't shoot'.

If he was undercover, there's no telling when Johnny Yahoo decides he's a 'good guy with a gun'.

My question for Doofy McDoof is 'Why did you have a round in the chamber?'
    Rattling the teacups.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Woodward View Post
    I do hope so. Did you notice that it did not discharge until he touched it?

Typical problem with striker fired pistols with no safety. I'm thinking it was probably a Glock. They say they have 3 safeties but all disengage when the trigger is pulled. Idiot picked it up wrong. Bad training.
    The best helping hand you will ever receive is the one at the end of your own arm.

Quote Originally Posted by Iceboy View Post
    Typical problem with striker fired pistols with no safety. I'm thinking it was probably a Glock. They say they have 3 safeties but all disengage when the trigger is pulled. Idiot picked it up wrong. Bad training.
    Idjit kept a round in the chamber.

Bad training.
    Rattling the teacups.

It was a Glock 23.

This "idjit" is an FBI Special Agent. They claim to be the best trained pistoleros ever. Kinda puts paid to the idea that gun deaths and injuries can be prevented by everyone being as perfect as gun fancy advocates say they are.

Quote Originally Posted by Ian McColgin View Post
    This "idjit" is an FBI Special Agent. They claim to be the best trained pistoleros ever. Kinda puts paid to the idea that gun deaths and injuries can be prevented by everyone being as perfect as gun fancy advocates say they are.
    Their claim is false.

You want a pistolero?

Try this guy:

Austin cop's sure shot stopped crazed gunman

Austin Police Sgt. Adam Johnson fired one shot from his Smith & Wesson M&P .40 pistol and hit Larry McQuilliams square in the chest last month, stopping the gunman's downtown shooting rampage. (YouTube)

Holding the reins of two horses with one hand, Austin Police Sgt. Adam Johnson raised his service pistol and fired a bullseye into the target some 312 feet away.
    Down went Larry McQuilliams, and so ended his rampage through the streets of the Texas capital, where he’d fired more than 100 rounds from his AK-47 and .22-caliber rifles at buildings. The shot, from Johnson’s Smith & Wesson M&P .40 pistol, hit McQuilliams square in the chest and made the 15-year-veteran the toast of gun enthusiasts around the country.
    “At a minimum, it was extraordinary shot,” said Army Maj. John Plaster, a retired Special Forces operator, long-range shooting expert and author of “The Ultimate Sniper: An Advanced Training Manual for Military and Police Snipers.”
    It was not immediately clear if Johnson’s center-mass shot killed McQuilliams, or if the longtime criminal died from a self-inflicted shot a moment later. Results from an autopsy are pending, but there’s no disputing the improbably accurate bullet fired by Johnson brought a safe end to the Nov. 28 incident.
    [image]
    “It’s not impossible,” Plaster added. “Wild Bill Hickok shot bad guys from a hundred yards away with a handgun, but he was also a great shot.
    “I would say what this officer did was phenomenal, especially if he didn’t brace his arm against anything.”
    McQuilliams, 49, had multiple weapons, hundreds of rounds of ammunition and a map of 34 downtown buildings that likely were potential targets in his pre-dawn rampage the day after Thanksgiving, according to Austin Police Chief Art Acevedo. He’d already shot up the Mexican consulate, the federal courthouse and a downtown bank.
    “For a guy to keep his composure and holding two horses with one hand and taking a one-hand shot with the other hand, it says a lot about the training and professionalism of our police department,” Austin Police Chief Art Acevedo said to the Austin American-Statesman.
    Johnson, who works with the Mounted Patrol Unit, was about to get off duty and stabling the horses when he heard shots and returned fire at 2:33 a.m.
    On Friday, Johnson, who is on routine administrative leave following the incident, made his first public appearance at a holiday charity event.
    The sharpshooter told a local radio host he thanked God for being at the "right place at the right time."

Rattling the teacups.

I remember the Austin police single shot story. Couple of years ago. It was not long after one of those reports of police shooting multiple rounds at a suspect 20 feet away.
    Do they train differently in Tejas.

Quote Originally Posted by Ian McColgin View Post
    Obviously the guy wasn’t well trained. A gun lying on the floor doesn’t just “go off.” The fool fired it.

It certainly puts paid to the idea that all FBI agents are people of flawless judgement, if anyone had such an idea.
    Well, Mr. Botard, do you still deny all rhinocerotic evidence?

I've been carrying a 1911 in condition one for over 44 years and never (knock on wood) had an incident. Good safeties on a 1911 and I NEVER forget it is there or perform any gymnastics with it on my person. This agent was a fool in so many ways. He shouldn't be allowed to carry even in his job.
    Quote Originally Posted by oznabrag View Post

Bad training.
    The best helping hand you will ever receive is the one at the end of your own arm.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Bow View Post
    I remember the Austin police single shot story. Couple of years ago. It was not long after one of those reports of police shooting multiple rounds at a suspect 20 feet away.
    Do they train differently in Tejas.
    I'm not sure how they would train for this :

Holding the reins of two horses with one hand, Austin Police Sgt. Adam Johnson raised his service pistol and fired a bullseye into the target some 312 feet away.
    That is not to say that the APD doesn't have problems, but that's a helluva shot.
    Rattling the teacups.

Dancing FBI agent who accidentally shot someone is arrested - CNNhttps://apple.news/A8zosm_oDSx-vytfLQbkEYQ
    FBI agent was arrested.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Tom

every bodythat shoots often tries some wild assed long range shots with pistols from time

bullet drop at 100 yards for most .40S&W is ~10" if zeroed at 20 yards; you aim for the center of his head and pull the trigger and the bullet hits him dead center body mass- all that cops ever shoot at is silhouettes (body shaped targets)

the holding the horses reigns does elevate it to a higher level though

I'm not sure how they would train for this :

That is not to say that the APD doesn't have problems, but that's a helluva shot.

I've been carrying a 1911 in condition one for over 44 years and never (knock on wood) had an incident. Good safeties on a 1911 and I NEVER forget it is there or perform any gymnastics with it on my person. This agent was a fool in so many ways. He shouldn't be allowed to carry even in his job.
    I don't get it the dislike of the 1911 (or the hi-power) for that matter either. I don't carry one daily. I do however consider myself proficient in carrying and putting into use 1911 and I've never once had a mishap or accidental discharge from one. I've owned several of them for about thirty years and they're my second favourite handgun after the Colt SAA. I guess law enforcement agencies don't like the short and light single action trigger pull in stress situations. Its funny seeing cops and members of the military and guys that primarily carry striker fired pistols freak out a little when they see you or me carrying a 1911 in condition 1. I fully don't understand why anyone would ever carry in Condition 2.

Bad training.
    But you spend precious seconds chambering a round if you need it. Because we live in Somalia . . .
    In the US this perverted idea of “blood and soil” over “constitutional principles” is the most radical and anti-democratic and anti-Conservative idea I have heard in my lifetime.

~C. Ross

Strange story. How the hell did Mr. Johnson know what he was shooting at, and who else was around, at that distance? A Smith M&P won’t typically hold a 12” group sighted in at 100 yards from a ransom rest. Why didn’t he drop the horses? Why did no one have a rifle? I’d feel a lot better about it if I knew the guy could hit a 10” plate every time at 100yards. Even so, I’d call it reckless public shooting.
    Well, Mr. Botard, do you still deny all rhinocerotic evidence?

My question for Doofy McDoof is 'Why did you have a round in the chamber?'

Not to mention...

- Why was it not secured in a proper holster?

- Why did you have the safety off?

- You had it COCKED? Seems unlikely that just grabbing the weapon off the floor like that, even if your finger landed on the trigger, you'd be unlikely to exert enough force on a double action to pull it all the way through and fire the weapon.
    You would not enjoy Nietzsche, sir. He is fundamentally unsound. — P.G. Wodehouse (Carry On, Jeeves)

northern Georgia, or sometimes Mississippi Delta USA

At one point in my life, I was silhouette shooting with a 41 Mag S&W revolver. It was at a range with a max of 100 yards. The targets were at 25, 50, 75, and 100 yards. I was firing very light loaded handloads. I was pretty good at hitting the ram target at 300 feet, but I wasn't holding any horses.

Quote Originally Posted by PhaseLockedLoop View Post
    Strange story. How the hell did Mr. Johnson know what he was shooting at, and who else was around, at that distance? A Smith M&P won’t typically hold a 12” group sighted in at 100 yards from a ransom rest. Why didn’t he drop the horses? Why did no one have a rifle? I’d feel a lot better about it if I knew the guy could hit a 10” plate every time at 100yards. Even so, I’d call it reckless public shooting.
    I was sure that someone would denigrate the guy.

Good job, Mr. Botard.

The cop

Being the supervisor of Austin police’s mounted patrol is a lot like being a parent, according to Sgt. Adam Johnson.

Even though most of the officers in his unit are older than him, the members of the small group are “needy like children and you’re proud of them like your children,” he said, chuckling in a recent interview with the Statesman.
    Johnson, 40, loves his unit and his job, a perfect fit for someone who had grown up riding horses on a ranch and practiced shooting with a .22-caliber rifle from his back porch.
    On Thanksgiving night last year, the 16-year Austin police veteran began work at 6 p.m. and shared dinner with the other members of the mounted patrol at the Threadgill’s restaurant just south of downtown.
    The group, charged with watching over the rowdy crowds that gather on Sixth Street every weekend, expected a busy night. The Longhorns were playing their annual Thanksgiving football game, and police anticipated high revelry if the home team pulled off an upset of highly ranked Texas Christian University.
    The Longhorns didn’t oblige, so as the bars closed at 2 a.m., the streets cleared out faster than usual. By 2:20 a.m., almost all the revelers had left. Atop his horse, Knucklehead, Johnson led the mounted patrol back to the horse trailers outside the police garage on Eighth Street.
    It was 2:25 a.m. when Johnson heard the police radio mention reports of shots fired about a mile away.
    Black Friday
    The first call was at 2:18 a.m., when the Austin Fire Department responded to a fire at the Mexican Consulate near Baylor and West Fifth streets. One minute later, 911 calls began flowing in with reports of automatic gunfire at the same location. Witnesses told police they saw a white vehicle speeding away.
    McQuilliams had rented a white Toyota Highlander to attack almost three dozen downtown buildings that included banks, government facilities and churches. He set out that night armed with a Bulgarian knockoff of an AK-47 rifle, a .40-caliber handgun, a .22-caliber rifle, a double-edged combat knife and hundreds of bullets. He also brought a gas mask and a book on the history of the Phineas Priesthood, a racist, anti-Semitic Christian movement that originated in the Pacific Northwest.
    From the consulate, McQuilliams headed east towards the federal courthouse at 501 W. Fifth St. and, at 2:24 a.m., an officer two blocks away heard rapid bangs of gunfire as McQuilliams shot several rounds at the building. As the officer approached the area, two employees of the nearby Kung Fu Saloon told him they had seen McQuilliams firing at the BB&T Bank, just a block away from the courthouse, before he drove off.
    More than a dozen police officers had been diverted to respond to the shooting by the time McQuilliams headed farther east to the next target on his map: Austin’s police headquarters.
    The shot
    Even though they were close, Johnson and the mounted patrol didn’t respond to the shooting; it was outside of their sector and police dispatchers hadn’t assigned them to assist.
    But at 2:31 a.m., the team had just loosened some of the horses’ saddle girths and taken off their hoof boots when gunfire rang out from less than a block away. The muzzle flashes made it clear someone was firing an automatic rifle at the Police Department’s headquarters.
    The gunshots spooked the horses, and Johnson tightened his grip on Knucklehead’s reins. A fellow mounted patrol officer handed Johnson the reins of his horse and began approaching the shooter. As the bullets smashed into police headquarters, Johnson thought of those inside the building: One of his best friends, a night-shift detective sergeant, was working that night. Johnson could only imagine where those bullets were landing.
    Johnson didn’t know how to react. He recalled an incident from more than a decade ago when a horse got loose from an officer and got on Interstate 35. He couldn’t drop the reins and engage with the shooter; keeping control of the animals was his first priority.
    Then the shooter’s gunfire focused on a new target: the mounted patrol.
    Four bullets hit the patrol car where an officer was taking cover. Another bullet hit a concrete wall, and its shrapnel hit an officer’s right cheek.
    The shooter walked slowly and didn’t appear agitated. He was calm, methodically firing off 30-round bursts, stopping to reload and opening fire again.
    An officer close to Johnson dove to the ground, finding cover behind a waist-high wall. Johnson remembers the terror in her face.
    “These officers that are on my shift, any shift I’ve ever had … you look at them like they are your kids,” Johnson would later tell investigators during a police interview. “When she looked at me like that, it might as well be one of my kids looking at me like that.”
    Johnson turned protective. Still holding on tightly to the horses’ reins with his left hand, he pressed his chest against one of the garage’s concrete pillars and drew his weapon, the Police Department’s standard-issue Smith & Wesson M&P 40.
    Three cars were between him and the shooter, and a few fellow officers were about to cross his line of fire. He was more than a football field away and could only see the shooter’s silhouette from the waist up.
    “I knew I was a long way away,” Johnson said. “At the moment, I didn’t try to estimate the distance, but I knew when I put my front sight and started looking at my front sight … that I had a clear shot.”
    Johnson pointed his handgun at the dark figure. It had only been a brief pause since the last rapid-fire burst.
    “I just took a deep breath and just squeezed,” he said.
    That was the only shot police fired that night.
    Officers heard a radio call of a “man down.” The shooter lay dead in the middle of Eighth Street with a rifle next to him. Johnson’s shot had pierced his heart through the back.
    The shooting ended at 2:32 a.m. Only one minute had transpired since McQuilliams started firing at the police building.
    Rattling the teacups.