Thread: Traffic signal rant

Default Traffic signal rant

I spent over 30 years of my adult life living in the suburbs of NYC. It seemed like I spent half that time sitting at traffic lights.
    Now that I'm retired to the boonies of Vermont, I see far fewer. Up until two weeks ago, I could drive from my house to the nearest town, nine miles away, without encountering a single traffic light. But, it was too good to last. Some traffic engineer with too much time on his hands decided that we needed one at the intersection of two state highways halfway to town. It's a simple T-intersection where one highway ends and butts into another. Both are simple two lane roads. There's never been any problems, congestion or accidents at this intersection. Simple right-of-way rules have always worked fine.
    So, today I go into town for some errands and find myself stopped at this new red light for a few minutes. Not a single car in sight the entire time. I felt like a fool sitting there out in the middle of nowhere waiting for this stupid light to change.
    What's worse is I have to go through this intersection every time I want to trailer my boats to the nearby lakes.
    The money spent on this useless project could have been better spent elsewhere.
    Thus endth my rant.
    I was born on a wooden boat that I built myself.

Default Re: Traffic signal rant

About a year or three after we moved to New Hampshire my wife blew her horn at someone in an intersection. I was surprised. I said to her, "Honey, we're not in Delaware anymore." Then she blew her horn at me, so to speak. I decided to keep my opinions to myself in the future.

Reminds me of that scene from 'The Mexican' - Pitt sitting at a stoplight in the middle of nowhere, no traffic in sight - until he decides to 'run the red', and is nearly t-boned by a truck.

Good times.
    There's a lot of things they didn't tell me when I signed on with this outfit....

I don't understand why with all of our computer and sensor technology they can't put sensors in the intersections to detect when cars are/aren't approaching and control the traffic lights accordingly. In cases like you described where it's not a matter of timing and coordinating multiple traffic lights such as in an urban setting, if no cars are coming form one direction, why can't the light for the other direction stay green?
    Voting is like driving a car: Choose "R" to move backwards. Choose "D" to move forward.

Be a shame if some drunken Bubba shotgunned the lights
    How awful those 10yr old boys shot the signal out with a 22

Of course the sensors cost more money. It seems like they could have put a round-about there like they did for a few low traffic roads such as Rt 2 in Anne Arundel county in Maryland.
    Will

Quote Originally Posted by BrianY View Post
    I don't understand why with all of our computer and sensor technology they can't put sensors in the intersections to detect when cars are/aren't approaching and control the traffic lights accordingly. In cases like you described where it's not a matter of timing and coordinating multiple traffic lights such as in an urban setting, if no cars are coming form one direction, why can't the light for the other direction stay green?
    They have something like that at all traffic lights in SoCal. The reverse problem is that you can see the green light but if you are not up to the light with the other cars turning in time it immediately senses the flow has stopped and turns red before you get to the intersection.

You can never win lights suck
    This post is temporary and my disappear at the discretion of the managment

Quote Originally Posted by Rich Jones View Post
    I spent over 30 years of my adult life living in the suburbs of NYC. It seemed like I spent half that time sitting at traffic lights.
    Now that I'm retired to the boonies of Vermont, I see far fewer. Up until two weeks ago, I could drive from my house to the nearest town, nine miles away, without encountering a single traffic light. But, it was too good to last. Some traffic engineer with too much time on his hands decided that we needed one at the intersection of two state highways halfway to town. It's a simple T-intersection where one highway ends and butts into another. Both are simple two lane roads. There's never been any problems, congestion or accidents at this intersection. Simple right-of-way rules have always worked fine.
    So, today I go into town for some errands and find myself stopped at this new red light for a few minutes. Not a single car in sight the entire time. I felt like a fool sitting there out in the middle of nowhere waiting for this stupid light to change.
    What's worse is I have to go through this intersection every time I want to trailer my boats to the nearby lakes.
    The money spent on this useless project could have been better spent elsewhere.
    Thus endth my rant.
    Why don't you get a portable traffic light remote control like the rest of us retirees?
    Enjoy a good rum on the rocks at sunset.

Traffic circles are the answer. Sweden has VERY few traffic lights, even in Stockholm. They have thousands of traffic circles. Rockford recently took out a light that went green kone way at a time, four directions. That's 3 to one red versus green; what a PIA. The new traffic circle is MUCH faster, though some dumb asses abuse the rules..

Roundabouts rule, but ground loops for vehicle detection run a close second. Most of the unbalanced intersections (i.e., lower traffic emptying into higher traffic) in my city have them; I'm surprised to hear they aren't commonly deployed elsewhere. The only problem with them is that bicycles don't reliably set them off unless you get off and lower the bike into close proximity with the loop, and even then it's a dodgy proposition depending on frame material.

What are you doing about it?

Quote Originally Posted by Nicholas Scheuer View Post
    Traffic circles are the answer. Sweden has VERY few traffic lights, even in Stockholm. They have thousands of traffic circles. Rockford recently took out a light that went green kone way at a time, four directions. That's 3 to one red versus green; what a PIA. The new traffic circle is MUCH faster, though some dumb asses abuse the rules..
    Roundabouts would be a bit tricky in this situation as everyone would end up in the river that runs parallel to the road!

Quote Originally Posted by Rum_Pirate View Post
    Why don't you get a portable traffic light remote control like the rest of us retirees?
    I gotta git me one of those thangs!

VTrans can go overboard sometimes. I'm guessing that there was some study done that said 1.2 lives per decade could be saved & it crossed some federal threshold that required it be done or else lose funding.

Your local regional planning commission has input on this & they listen to residents. Every monthly meeting has a "members of the public" section - or call/email them. https://www.rutlandrpc.org/

There's a light in Richmond, VT that replaced a stop sign at an odd 3-way - where a 3rd road comes in before the T. For years & years, everyone coming from the side that had the extra road alternated beautifully. Because one of the roads is a federal highway (US Rte 2) - the Feds had the say & they refused to believe that people would do that. At an RPC meeting (our region, not yours) - several of us told the Fed guy that & he voiced his disbelief & refused to do a site visit. Most of us expressed our displeasure and he went away with his nose out of joint, but still up in the air.

ETA: In your case, I am surprised they didn't do a roundabout - as VTrans has finally accepted them. Must be the site costs would've been too high.
    "If it ain't broke, you're not trying." - Red Green

Quote Originally Posted by Garret View Post
    VTrans can go overboard sometimes. I'm guessing that there was some study done that said 1.2 lives per decade could be saved & it crossed some federal threshold that required it be done or else lose funding.

Your local regional planning commission has input on this & they listen to residents. Every monthly meeting has a "members of the public" section - or call/email them. https://www.rutlandrpc.org/

There's a light in Richmond, VT that replaced a stop sign at an odd 3-way - where a 3rd road comes in before the T. For years & years, everyone coming from the side that had the extra road alternated beautifully. Because one of the roads is a federal highway (US Rte 2) - the Feds had the say & they refused to believe that people would do that. At an RPC meeting (our region, not yours) - several of us told the Fed guy that & he voiced his disbelief & refused to do a site visit. Most of us expressed our displeasure and he went away with his nose out of joint, but still up in the air.

ETA: In your case, I am surprised they didn't do a roundabout - as VTrans has finally accepted them. Must be the site costs would've been too high.
    In my case, there is no room for a roundabout. River on one side, mountain on the other.

Round about would work in 75% of intersections with lights in America.

My hometown (in California) still doesn't have a single traffic light - thank God.

Ralphie

Quote Originally Posted by BrianY View Post
    They do of course. Usually they will return to reside green on the artery, but your last suggestion is certainlly within the capability of modern controllers.

Is the the project? http://www.aot.state.vt.us/FactSheet...spx?pin=13B020 there is contact info within. I was a bit surprised at the cost.
    Steve Martinsen

One thing is for sure. Folks with too much time on their hands will find something to "Rant" about here just about every single day. :<}
    Happy trails to you.

Roundabouts would be a bit tricky in this situation as everyone would end up in the river that runs parallel to the road!
    Roundabouts at T-intersections are fairly common.

I gotta git me one of those thangs!

Most of us have 'the chip' imbedded in us... saves a lot of hassle, until the battery needs jumping.
    There's a lot of things they didn't tell me when I signed on with this outfit....

Quote Originally Posted by Nicholas Scheuer View Post
    France, too. Tons of traffic circles.