Thread: June 6th, 1944

Thumbs up June 6th, 1944

Thank you, survivors, one and all, for your service, courage and sacrifices.

Default Re: June 6th, 1945

Rattling the teacups.

Before the tedious pedants step in, you miss typed the year.
    I'm wondering that if Ike had miss stepped on the date, or the weather had been off, or defences had been better, that the invasion would Have failed. Had that happened, the Russians would have entered Paris and Berlin. The last 75 years would have been more of a horror than they were.
    Perhaps the credit to the Allies is not so much the defeat of Hitler as it is the curtailing of Stalin.

Quote Originally Posted by Vince Brennan View Post
    Thank you, survivors, one and all, for your service, courage and sacrifices.
    Thank you, all paricipants, one and all, for your service, courage and sacrifice including your lives . . for freedom.
    Enjoy a good rum on the rocks at sunset.

Jim: Fixed that. Thankyou!

Default Re: June 6th, 1944

In the 1970s I race crewed for a boat owner who was one of the Rangers at D-Day. Whew.
    Gerard>
    ​Freeland, WA

Next election, vote against EVERY Republican, for EVERY office, at EVERY level. Be patriotic and stop the madness. Save the country.

As a reminder... here are my boys at 15 on Ohama beach - 2 years ago standing in front of a landing craft used on June 5th. The boy on the left (jacks friend) is now 18 and joining the navy as they both graduate tomorrow from high school.

Be wary of your critics, at peace with your decisions, and work hard to be a better man.

Out of curiosity, what kind of close air support did the allied landings get?

We must never forget that we stand where we are today upon the shoulders of giants.

That was some day in history. I cannot imagine what it must have been like wading up onto those beaches under strong enemy fire.
    How do we form a mutiny? Our new captain is navigating poorly.

Quote Originally Posted by David W Pratt View Post
    Out of curiosity, what kind of close air support did the allied landings get?
    Allied air supremacy was amply demonstrated on D-Day, as American fighters claimed only twenty-four shootdowns, all during the noon hour or later. In exchange, at least four Eighth Air Force Mustangs were lost in air combat farther inland. Luftwaffe reinforcements resulted in forty-one claims by Eighth and Ninth Air Force fighters the next day.

One example of tactical airpower’s effectiveness was Panzer Lehr’s eighty-mile dash to the coast. The commanding officer described the trek as ‘‘a fighter-bomber race course,’’ and though the division lost only five tanks, it wrote off or abandoned eighty-four other armored vehicles and 130 trucks or transport vehicles.

More here> https://www.historyonthenet.com/d-day-airpower/
    The best statement I've seen from this latest carnage came from a student who lived through it -

"My generation will not allow this to continue!"

Remember voting age is 18. Read it and weep reds.

I had a couple of clients who were there. Ike was a Paratrooper Captain in the 101st who went in the night before and Jake was an Infantry Staff Sergeant who was an aid to a brigadier general who went in on the third wave. They told some amazing stories.
    The best statement I've seen from this latest carnage came from a student who lived through it -

"My generation will not allow this to continue!"

Remember voting age is 18. Read it and weep reds.

I went to Juno beach a couple of years ago. What struck me most was how far out the tide was. It was a wide open flat expanse of beach. Nothing at all to hide behind and a long way to go. The tide was higher that day but it was still not a place anyone would have wanted to be for love or money.
    If one advances confidently in the direction of his dreams, and endeavors to live the life which he has imagined, he will meet with a success unexpected in common hours.
    -Henry David Thoreau-

I've a good friend who's dad was a 19 year old in The Big Red One on DDay. He stayed in the Army and retired as a Lt Col after returning from his 3rd tour in Viet Nam .
    He never talked about work.
    Jim found a box in his dad's sock drawer after he passed. 6 Purple Hearts and a Silver Star. His will stipulated that he wanted to be buried in civvies with his CIB in his pocket.
    1024px-Combat_Infantry_Badge.svg.jpg

Soldiers, Sailors and Airmen of the Allied Expeditionary Force!

You are about to embark upon the Great Crusade, toward which we have striven these many months. The eyes of the world are upon you. The hopes and prayers of liberty-loving people everywhere march with you. In company with our brave Allies and brothers-in-arms on other Fronts, you will bring about the destruction of the German war machine, the elimination of Nazi tyranny over the oppressed peoples of Europe, and security for ourselves in a free world.

Your task will not be an easy one. Your enemy is well trained, well equipped and battle hardened. He will fight savagely.

But this is the year 1944! Much has happened since the Nazi triumphs of 1940-41. The United Nations have inflicted upon the Germans great defeats, in open battle, man-to-man. Our air offensive has seriously reduced their strength in the air and their capacity to wage war on the ground. Our Home Fronts have given us an overwhelming superiority in weapons and munitions of war, and placed at our disposal great reserves of trained fighting men. The tide has turned! The free men of the world are marching together to Victory!

I have full confidence in your courage and devotion to duty and skill in battle.

We will accept nothing less than full Victory! Good luck! And let us beseech the blessing of Almighty God upon this great and noble undertaking.

—General Dwight Eisenhower

Our local newspaper has for the last few years sent a reporter and photographer to accompany the ever smaller band of D-day veterans to Normandy for the commemoration.Having seen some of the beaches on a day with boisterous surf running,I had to admire the fortitude and bravery even more than I expected to.

Quote Originally Posted by eggman918 View Post
    We must never forget that we stand where we are today upon the shoulders of giants.
    Many of these beach goers were still virgins, pimpled, shave once a month baby faces and yet rose to race off those beaches and into the french bocage for hand to hand combat. Boys became these giants.
    Be wary of your critics, at peace with your decisions, and work hard to be a better man.

This is a pic of my father and his Higgins boat crew mid 1943 somewhere in the central pacific this was just before the Tarawa landings which would be their baptism of fire, I don't think any of them are over 20 at the time of this pic they are all just KIDS...................
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by eggman918 View Post
    This is a pic of my father and his Higgins boat crew mid 1943 somewhere in the central pacific this was just before the Tarawa landings which would be their baptism of fire, I don't think any of them are over 20 at the time of this pic they are all just KIDS...................
    I had asked my dad for details before he passed.

I had never heard of this before but the Marines had songs for everything.

When i asked him about the landing craft he stood up and sang a long ditty they sang to the.....navy guys.

It was something about mothers take down yer blue star, put up a gold one. Yer son is a landing craft sailor.

He said as they went in every japanese was aiming and shooting at the sailor driving that craft in,.

Good natured ribbing, they sang this to the sailor while he was standing up as a target.

Very brave .

He saw some get blown up by direct hits...

We think dad was 16.

All D days were hell. My DAD, a 47 year old Sebee landed in the first wave on Iwo Jima. The tactic of getting troops from ships, across water and surf, to a beach, under fire, is complex and uncertain. When I was in the amphibs Navy the doctrine was for a final shore bombardment salvo to be fired from all ships to hit the beach at the same time exactly at H hour. Hopefully no landing craft would have gotten ahead of the schedule and be on the beach when that happened. Destroyers 3miles out, cruisers 7-8 miles, battleships up to 20 miles. The gunners coordinated the simultaneous fall of shells by computing firing time as H hour minus the time of flight of the shell.

Lots of stuff had to work together like clockwork and seldom did completely.

Forgot to add that Normandy was special because of the symbolism of invading the continent of Europe. I had a good friend until a few years ago who landed on Gold beach and had evacuated from Dunkirk in 1940.

Quote Originally Posted by twodot View Post
    My father was 19, and landed in the back of a glider with the 326th Engineer Battalion (called the Sapper Eagles, I believe) of the 101st. He died in 1973 without telling a single story of his experiences in Normandy.

(I have mentioned this before here.)
    Yeah, I couldn't get my father to tell much of what he endured. Just got snippets, generally with the comment that if you told people what happened, they never believed you, so it wasn't worth telling. He kept an occasional diary of his combat and PoW times, but it's sparse. He was a bit cynical at times... "our glorious retreat through Greece"... that sort of thing. About the most he ever said was that he didn't like Switzerland, having been handed back to the Germans after making the Swiss border in an escape attempt. Said that during his debrief after the war he was asked how many escape attempts he'd made, told them 12 and they said they had him down for 13.

He got to participate in the only airborne invasion (understand your father's and others airborne D Day involvement... but Crete was a fully airborne invasion - the only one ever, apparently). He was on the losing side in that one.... and casualties were about double the D Day rate. It sure knocked our army around for a while and the Germans gave up on the airborne thing... having lost nearly 300 planes in the space of a week.

One of Dad's photos of the action

"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome and charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime" Mark Twain... so... Carpe the living sh!t out of the Diem

My Grandfather was part of the 1st wave of landings on Omaha. His would have been one of the first boats to land, but a mortar landing nearby caused the coxwan to do a 360 with the boat. While they were coming about for a second run, the now first boat dropped it's ramp and all aboard died in a hail of machinegun fire. Seeing this, they landed the boat sideways to give the guys some cover. My grandfather made it all the way to Paris without a scratch before being pulled out and sent back to the states after the Death of my Great Grandfather.
    "Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of Strength"

-Edmund Burke

Quote Originally Posted by Art Haberland View Post
    My Grandfather was part of the 1st wave of landings on Omaha. His would have been one of the first boats to land, but a mortar landing nearby caused the coxwan to do a 360 with the boat. While they were coming about for a second run, the now first boat dropped it's ramp and all aboard died in a hail of machinegun fire. Seeing this, they landed the boat sideways to give the guys some cover. My grandfather made it all the way to Paris without a scratch before being pulled out and sent back to the states after the Death of my Great Grandfather.
    He was lucky. I read somewhere that those who were pushing towards Paris got it hard.
    "Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome and charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime" Mark Twain... so... Carpe the living sh!t out of the Diem

Casualty replacement rates were in the order of 300-400% for many units after D-Day. I'm not saying units were wiped out and saying units had high casualty rates. Green troops fresh from a Repple Depple (Replacement Depot) had a short life span due to lack of battle training once in Europe. You were shown a foxhole and if you were alive next morning you were nearly a veteran.
    The definition of stupid has got to be the belief that more guns will negate the bloodshed done with guns.

Thanks to all for their sacrifices on that day.
    My father flew three sorties over the beachhead that morning under the cloud ceiling around 800'. His 126 Wing RCAF did not encounter any German aircraft on Dday or Dday+1. While this was a disappointment at the time, they "made up for that a bit later".