Thread: Keel cutting loopers

Default Keel cutting loopers

I've seen more than a few posts on other forums about taking a good well keeled sailboat and loping off part of the ballast keel, turning the boat into a "looper"

(Looper = people and or boats doing the great loop.)http://www.greatloop.org/

While I think any reason to "modify" a good boat is a bad idea. there seems to be allot of self justification for what seems to be a good idea to some people.

Maybe this should be in the bilge but... you decide.

yer thoughts will be appreciated!
    Denise, Bristol PA, Oday30, Anchor Yacht Club, On tidal Delaware River. my current project; http://forum.woodenboat.com/showthre...0-Ducker-Resto

South Puget Sound/summer Eastern carib./winter

Default Re: Keel cutting loopers

I recon my opinion would go on a boat to boat basis.
    I can visualize it working on some boats, not so much on others.
    Gonna be some rube goldberg engineering involved... that doan always work out.
    Replacing outside ballast with inside ballast alone is not a deal breaker.

I've thought of this. Sailing boats seem to be much more fuel efficient, and ones without rigs are bargains.

I'm not sure how one would go about cutting off part of the keel. Lead might be the easiest, but most toxic. Cast Iron would probably mean days of grunt and grinding discs. Encapsulated glass, would depend onwhat's inside the glass.

I see nothing wrong with it, provided the end product works for the people involved. Assuming these are unloved glass sailboats and not classic well kept wooden boats. If the mods get the boat out of someone's backyard and gets people on the water that's a success. Too be truly heretic I'll suggest displacement cruisers make more sense for most boaters than sailboats. For evidence look at how many sailboats motor to and fro even when the wind is blowing.

Well knowing how spacious the inside of a keelboat can be, I can see why the whole idea would be attractive. Also a nice thing I guess, for people doing this, many older sailboats have lead keels, not iron.
    Denise, Bristol PA, Oday30, Anchor Yacht Club, On tidal Delaware River. my current project; http://forum.woodenboat.com/showthre...0-Ducker-Resto

SDome of the results look good to me. Of course they are no longer sailboats. Look at what folks have done with the Grampian-26.

Of course these efforts require some imagination, a trait some folks just don't have much of.

I saw one in Florida a couple of years ago. I think the guy called it a "Strawler". He cut the bottom of the lead fin and removed the rig. I think he covered the cockpit too. He loved it, but it was his own creation. I think there are few displacement cruisers around, and many older sailboats. WS makes 6+ knots under power using about 1gph. If I removed the rig and the inside ballast she would float higher and might cruise faster and more efficiently. That would hopefully be a long way off, because I love to sail. But none of those changes are very difficult or irreversible.

Let's just hope any discarded lead keels are getting donated / sold to boat builders. The stuff is hard to come by these days.

Cheers,
    Mark

Would you replace the weight with inside ballast? Otherwise, wouldn't the boat no longer float on her lines and be unstable?
    I was born on a wooden boat that I built myself.

Quote Originally Posted by Rich Jones View Post
    Would you replace the weight with inside ballast? Otherwise, wouldn't the boat no longer float on her lines and be unstable?
    The ones I've seen talking about it don't plan on removing the whole keel, but I don't know how they determine how much to remove, not like a toy boat you drop in the water see how it sets, take it out shave a little bit off, put it back in, see how it sits, take it out shave a little bit more off...