Thread: Looking for inspiration

Default Looking for inspiration

Is there a stitch and glue catboat that is a planing hull, and sutible as a launch rather than sail? I love the lines of a catboat, and fancy the idea of a 25 hp motor in a well, at planing speeds, enjoying a day messing abput and dropping a line. If not, in a year, there will be

Default Re: Looking for inspiration

If the bottom shape is good for planing, you can make the topsides look like just about anything:

Hope for the best, but plan for the worst.

The big problem with a catboat shape in stitch and glue is the ductility of the plywood. Here are my struggles to come up with a shape that could be built that way:

http://forum.woodenboat.com/showthre...ood+do+this%3F

I don't think you will be able to make a hull with so much rocker plane at all. The aft bottom needs to be flat, it needs to have a long straight run. I do think a catboat hull will make a very nice motor launch for slow speed cruising though, if you can handle going slower.

There are plans around for vee bottomed and multi chine cats that could probably be done S&G, but it would be easier to just build to a frame, meaning ribs and stringers.

Going slowly has it's benefits.

I'd do as mmd suggests. Find a planing hull that's close, and play around with the topsides.
    There is no rational, logical, or physical description of how free will could exist. It therefore makes no sense to praise or condemn anyone on the grounds they are a free willed self that made one choice but could have chosen something else. There is no evidence that such a situation is possible in our Universe. Demonstrate otherwise and I will be thrilled.