Thread: Cordless Sander?

Default Cordless Sander?

Can anyone recommend a reasonable one? WS is on the mooring, the topsides still need some work. In the past I have used a scraper and hand sanding. I'll still scrape where practical, but a battery powered orbital would be nice. Anyone use one?

Quote Originally Posted by johngsandusky View Post
    Can anyone recommend a reasonable one? WS is on the mooring, the topsides still need some work. In the past I have used a scraper and hand sanding. I'll still scrape where practical, but a battery powered orbital would be nice. Anyone use one?

Honestly you can’t beat one of these and good glass paper

https://tinkboats.wordpress.com
    http://proasail.blogspot.co.uk
    What I get up to
    https://youtu.be/X9NZEyvpb_Y Streaker dinghy
    https://youtu.be/oni-3rJzxqQ Sail Canoe
    https://youtu.be/eW078PPgJak Proa

Default Re: Cordless Sander?

I'm not sure this is a task I'd go cordless on. But I'm willing to have my skepticism dispelled by your experience... should you choose to do so.

Like an oscillating multi-tool... a random orbit sander sucks a lot of juice. Therefore - going cordless for this task means having a charging station nearby... and several batteries. Do you have shore power? OR... you can plan on LOTS of batteries. Do you have lots of batteries for your chosen brand? Out of curiosity - what is your chosen brand?
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks
    http://www.harborwoodworking.com/boat.html

"It was a Sunday morning and Goddard gave thanks that there were still places where one could worship in temples not made by human hands." -- L. F. Herreshoff (The Compleat Cruiser)

I don't have any experience with cordless sanders, and little with any cordless tool in recent years. I'm hoping someone here does. WS does not have a shore tie nor an inverter. The boat is out in the harbor, out of reach of a/c current. I know that cordless tools won't run too long, but hopefully long enough to sand a cockpit seat, maybe both with a spare battery. Years ago I used a cordless circular saw to replace a plywood foredeck. The saw was only good for a few feet of continuous cutting, but it was enough.

Will you have a cordless vacuum to go with it?

Jeff

Big difference between a cockpit seat and doing the topsides. The former should be quite manageable.
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks
    http://www.harborwoodworking.com/boat.html

"It was a Sunday morning and Goddard gave thanks that there were still places where one could worship in temples not made by human hands." -- L. F. Herreshoff (The Compleat Cruiser)

honestly other than high end cordless drills, the remainder of most cordless tools are cheaper than the battery. . .
    for instance dewalt's cordless orbital sander sell for $59 at lowes but the battery for that family of tools is between $89 and $129 depending upon capacity. . .

maybe it makes sense to try a sander that shares a battery system that you already have, or choose an entire family of tools before committing to one particular sander

life is so much easier with just one battery type and charger
    Simpler is better, except when complicated looks really cool.

I've rigged cheap cordless drills to a 12v car/ boat battery, ok its not cordless anymore, but you can still work off the ac mains grid.

I have two palm orbital sanders, a Bosch and a branded to the Diy store model called a Parkside I think, but its on the boat now. They take a bowed triangular velcr o paper and you can get the papers here for the pointy end and the back end. so you can mix different grades on the same soleplate.
    Spent about twenty minutes flatting rather than removing material on some broad flat picture frames and was quite pleased. Forgot to say that though the Bosch is a heftier for the same size its old and NiCad batteries which had two spares with it when new, the Parkside is LiIon and a different kettle of fish altogether but didn't come with a spare. either only cost about 50 BTs and are ok, but if you spent more on decent kit like Makita, then you will do better..

Ditto the idea of having a universal battery size and shape for all the tools….Cordless definitely is the way to go.
    'C'est la vie' say the old folks it goes to show you never can tell

Seems to me that the power consumption of any useful sander, maybe 500 watts, is way more than could be supplied by any cordless tool I've known.
    If you have a big enouth battery bank, an inverter might do the trick.

Cordless tools have come a long way, Jim. Dewalt has a cordless tablesaw that uses 60V batteries and seems pretty capable. Their 12” compound mitersaw uses two of the 60V batteries. There are cordless chainsaws even.
    I bet the Dewalt 20V sander with the big 6 Amp Hour battery would power through a bunch of sanding.

Thank you all. I have some hand me down cordless, I may check to see if they are the same brands and have a sander. But I'm likely just to buy the sander and a two batteries on the merits. That cordless saw was probably 15 years ago. I don't use power tools often, and cordless amlost never. Generally the boat work is done afloat with hand tools.

I have a Ryobi cordless oscillating sander that works alright. Was not expensive and I had some other tools that used the same battery. I have not used it a whole lot. I got it so that I did not have to drag a cord with me when prepping some of the house trim for re-painting. It has worked good for that purpose.

If the boat has a 12 volt battery (bank) of any size, an inverter big enough to run a corded sander might do he trick.

Thanks Oldsub.
    Jim, she has only two batteries, and I think installing an inverter would cost more than it's worth in this case. Thank you for contributing.

Small inverters are cheap, like $30 for a 400 watt model.

Small inverters are cheap, but to run a sander, you need the starting demand which is considerably higher than running demand. My Fesstool is 500W and that's just the sander. Gonna be more if you add the vac. At that rate, you'll eat the battery quickly. So you'll run the engine. Now you're using 40HP or so. At First Light work on the mooring is done by bringing a small genset out. Economical, safe, easy.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Pless View Post
    honestly other than high end cordless drills, the remainder of most cordless tools are cheaper than the battery. . .
    for instance dewalt's cordless orbital sander sell for $59 at lowes but the battery for that family of tools is between $89 and $129 depending upon capacity. . .

maybe it makes sense to try a sander that shares a battery system that you already have, or choose an entire family of tools before committing to one particular sander

life is so much easier with just one battery type and charger
    Yep! All my cordless stuff is Bosch now and I've built up a stock of about 6 batteries. As batteries are getting bigger, the smaller ones are getting cheaper too so, although it means charging some batteries more often, I'm not changing batteries so often and I can leave a couple of charged batteries on the boat for the drill, vacuum and multi.

As above, I find the cordless saw really good but haven't found a cordless sander suitable for larger areas. The multi is good for little areas but is really only effective if I can rig it with its dust extraction attachment. For that, I need the generator, and that sort of defeats the purpose of having a cordless tool .....

Rick

So far I've been using scrapers and a sanding block, but I haven't come to any large flat areas yet.

I have a cordless sander and it is running out of "steam" pretty fast.
    Don't worry I'm happy

"The law is what we have to live with.
    Justice is sometimes harder to achieve."

Sherlock Holmes