Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Sven Yrvind

Default Re: Sven Yrvind

Quote Originally Posted by Snow Pea View Post
    https://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/article/46242362 ???

Also a respected navigator Bill Belcher came unstuck (or rather became stuck) on the same reef. I hadn't heard of that case. It adds another twist to the middleton reef story.
    I recall stopping off at the shed where S F was being built, met the builder who's name I dont recall, but it was an impressive if odd vessel.

Bill Belcher though was a real treat, great guy and his book on self steering of sailing craft is one that I've referred to on a regular basis.

John Welsford
    An expert is but a beginner with experience.

You could say the same about many pastimes, eg riding fast motorbikes, or smoking or drinking. All have the potential to cost society disproportionately compared to the apparent benefits. But I am glad most western societies for the most part let individuals have the freedom to chose our own path.

Yes I'm glad too. I wouldn't stand in his way for a moment. But nor would I glorify him. To me it's like an unsupported Everest ascent with home made gear. If he needs to do it, go for it. But it's a certain sort of crazy. The world is probably richer for men and women of his ilk.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by amish rob View Post
    Brilliant needn’t always mean academically intelligent, right? Although, I’m sure Yrvind is quite intelligent, also.

Still. After many years of playing at life, at creating and using and experimenting and thinking...

To a doofus like me, anyone with the courage to be themselves and live their lives is brilliant. Most of the rest of us are dullards.

Peace,
    Robert
    Well, I sort of take your point, but I think you're being a bit hard on `us'. I, for one, can't think of very many less interesting pursuits than spending months at sea in a tiny, smelly, plastic boat doing 2 knots. Maybe interesting instalments but the in-between filler is really dull. Also, I find travellers who work out clever solutions to problems encountered very interesting but travellers who seem to go out of their way to create problems, less so. Maybe I'd be more impressed if the boat didn't look like a papier-mache pirate ship from a school play.

Rick

Quote Originally Posted by RFNK View Post
    Well, I sort of take your point, but I think you're being a bit hard on `us'. I, for one, can't think of very many less interesting pursuits than spending months at sea in a tiny, smelly, plastic boat doing 2 knots. Maybe interesting instalments but the in-between filler is really dull. Also, I find travellers who work out clever solutions to problems encountered very interesting but travellers who seem to go out of their way to create problems, less so. Maybe I'd be more impressed if the boat didn't look like a papier-mache pirate ship from a school play.

Rick
    Great.

Peace,
    Robert

Reports 3 and 4 are out. He has treated himself to a clean shirt, since the old had be on for three weeks!

He also did his first daily average of over 2kts, though he says he has been under bare poles running before a gale, so i guess he has some good wave action behind him. The wind chart has not shown anything over 30kts in his location.

He's just made it past the 1000 mile mark, at least on the water if not every bit of it in the right direction.
    Thats about 999 miles further than a lot of people thought he'd make.
    Currently off the southern coast of Portugal.

http://www.yrvind.com/tracker/

John Welsford

All downwind from there .
    '' You ain't gonna learn what you don't want to know. ''
    Grateful Dead

Quote Originally Posted by PeterSibley View Post
    All downwind from there .
    Until he hits the southeast trades. That will be a tough battle for him.

His slow progress has to be cause for concern, given near perfect conditions for making miles. The southern ocean 'westerlies' are actually very variable as the lows sweep through so its not like he will do any better in those conditions. Prehaps its the extra weight of food and lack of access through the forward hatch slowing him down?

Its interesting to compare his passage times to Web Chiles on Gannet, Soprano, Tinkerbelle and other very small ocean going boats.

I'd say, that a boat so narrow and shallow that it hasnt the stability to carry much sail, she only has 4 sq metres of rag, is a large part of the reason its so slow.

My guess is that he may, just may, make it as far as South America. From there his chances of tailwinds down to the westerlies in the southern ocean are not that good, and his one oar wont help much in the doldrums.

However, I admire his gumption and hope he proves me wrong.

John Welsford

I would be thinking of putting in at Porto Santo, one of my fave spots, just for a walk along the beach. JW is probably right about the stability, Sven did mention ExLex rolls a lot, but i am still surprised at the less than 2 knot pace in ideal conditions. Im wondering if his twin rudders have been set up correctly and not in "drogue mode". I think the idea was ok, but for the amount of time you need them in that mode, its a lot of drag to be pulling through the water. I note he already says "next boat" will be faster.....

Sailing report 6 is out. Sounds like the lack of the fwd cabin is not helping at all.

Yeah, not getting access from inside is creating a dodgy work load. I would definately pull into Porto Santo, if only to get those stores sorted out so he can at least get the most out of the boat. In fact, i would be very tempted just to cruise the Azores and call it good, he already knows pretty much what next boat will be like......but, knowing Sven.....

He's not far short of the Ampere Islands, anyone taking bets on him calling in there to reorganise things?

Like I said, that boat is not what I'd draw or build for that trip, or in fact anything outside the harbour, but I do admire the man.
    89 years old, and spending his time designing the boat he'll build for the next adventure. I hope that I'm as fit and capable at that age as he is.

John Welsford

Quote Originally Posted by john welsford View Post
    [...] 89 years old, [...]
    Ten years less, I think, Sven writes on his Website
    http://www.yrvind.com/videophoto/boats-i-grow-up-in/
    "I was born two years later on 22 April 1939."

But, anyway, not that young anymore.
    Gruß, Günter

Quote Originally Posted by heimfried View Post
    Ten years less, I think, Sven writes on his Website
    http://www.yrvind.com/videophoto/boats-i-grow-up-in/
    "I was born two years later on 22 April 1939."

But, anyway, not that young anymore.
    I think you're right, I should have checked. But yes, not that young any more.

John Welsford.

A little bit of thread drift, Bill Belcher had a fast dory built for a trans-tasman race but on measuring up was found to be about a foot too long so he picked up a skill saw and lopped a foot off the bows, this was the boat "Josephine" he left on Middleton reef after being posted missing for quite some time.

Quote Originally Posted by rayman View Post
    A little bit of thread drift, Bill Belcher had a fast dory built for a trans-tasman race but on measuring up was found to be about a foot too long so he picked up a skill saw and lopped a foot off the bows, this was the boat "Josephine" he left on Middleton reef after being posted missing for quite some time.
    Yes, design by John Spencer to go under an existing rig, an old 1/4 tonner if I recall rightly, and to use an existing keel. It was pretty quick even with the square bow, but sailed at a big angle.

John Welsford

Yes, design by John Spencer to go under an existing rig, an old 1/4 tonner if I recall rightly, and to use an existing keel. It was pretty quick even with the square bow, but sailed at a big angle.

John Welsford
    From the book, she originally had a lifting bulb keel, but it was replaced by a heavier shallower welded fin due to it banging in the case. The rig was similar to a Spencer 32 John owned, but I think new. A very neat boat and a good book.

He will have Madiera in sight, i saw it from 50+ miles away.

Sounds like his rudder issues have gotten worse. He is pretty close to Porto Santo right now, and cracking 2.8 knots!

He is in the lee of Porto Santo, near Vila Baleira. I wonder what he is thinking?

Looks like he is in port.

Good move. He needs to sort out that fore hatch access and those rudder issues, if he is to carry on. I would get straight onto that after going for a walk on the beach and a quick trip to the fishermans bar.....

Svens called it a day. Latest update.

"Yrvind is now on Porto Santo. He has decided to restart with a new boat. ExLex, which is basically an experiment, has some issues that must be solved. For example is the boat too heavy, which affects both speed and stability. There is a serious problem with the stering control that causes the rudder to lock. It is too cramped inside and it has not been possible to handle the sail from the front hatch as it was intended. All in all, this means that Yrvind decided to make an restart and design a new boat where these problems is corrected. Yrvind now needs to rest and comes when he feels ready with a status update here on the website."

Old enough to know better, at least he has food for the next 200 days at home.......

I am kind of relieved he has pulled the pin, that slow progress was going to cause too many issues down the track, and the lack of access forward made life aboard very dangerous. Sounds like the boat wasn't especially well sorted out. It's still a great voyage, and I am interested to hear the feedback and lessons he has learned from this boat.

I am kind of relieved he has pulled the pin, that slow progress was going to cause too many issues down the track, and the lack of access forward made life aboard very dangerous. Sounds like the boat wasn't especially well sorted out. It's still a great voyage, and I am interested to hear the feedback and lessons he has learned from this boat.
    Made it further than a lot of people thought he would, I'm very keen to see what the next boat will be like.

For the knockers, he's actually out there doing it, well done Sven.

John Welsford

Made it further than a lot of people thought he would, I'm very keen to see what the next boat will be like.

For the knockers, he's actually out there doing it, well done Sven.

John Welsford
    Agreed !
    '' You ain't gonna learn what you don't want to know. ''
    Grateful Dead

Ok I'm a knocker. Looks like he went off half cocked with a boat that was untested unsuitable and not even adequately sea trialled. Glad he pulled the pin before he had to be rescued. Out there doing it is good but. Yeah Ill stop right there.

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Y View Post
    Ok I'm a knocker. Looks like he went off half cocked with a boat that was untested unsuitable and not even adequately sea trialled. Glad he pulled the pin before he had to be rescued. Out there doing it is good but. Yeah Ill stop right there.

Most of us think that the path of boating experience should be a positive one, with each new boat somewhat improved based on what was learned from the previous one. Sven seems to have inverted this sequence since he busted out the basement wall of his mother's house to get the first boat out. That one was superior as a sailing machine to transport humans to this latest one in every way.

As long as he remains such an independent cuss who requires so little from society, which is certainly true, we have no real right or cause to object. My brief personal interaction with him was limited by the fact that, while I (and others who dabble in design of small boats) may be considered to be well off the mid point of the curve of normal human experience, he is out beyond the 2 sigma level.
    Tom L

I have a bit of an issue with "independent", and one who has many sponsers and takes donations, surely it is one or the other?
    Im not a knocker, Sven has more miles and sea time than i will likely accumilate and i have age on my side(in comparison). Svens "next boat" was only suppose to be about 3ft longer and maybe a foot wider than Ex-Lex, i struggle to see the point of building a 80% scale version, and i have built a 50% scale float models to test a theory. Anyway, im glad he is safe and has enough wits to know when to quit, his average speed would have caused an issue further into the voyage, though surprisingly, the last 3 days he seemed to have been maintaining over 2 knots. Will sponsers be kind enough to pay for shipping ExLex back to Sweden or will it go straight into the marina skip, like his last build?

About 15 or do years ago we were living in Papua New Guinea. One day an incredibly dilapidated old rust bucket of a steel yacht came into the marina. Turned out it was sailed by an amazing old bloke he was 75 or 80 years old and had been gradually sailing around the world for years. He'd been sunk and rescued by a passing ship once and I think he'd picked up this boat cheap as a replacement. He made a few dollars while in port by putting on a show at the yacht club. He'd tell his story and sing some songs. Quite a guy. The yacht club passed the hat around and painted his boat and did some repairs. Got him a new electric keyboard. He was a real character and was certainly out there doing it. But his boat was basically sound and fit for purpose. He wasn't pulling any stupid stunts like rowing or paddling or sailing a baby crib. He was a mad bastard I was happy to admire and respect.

My town is on the Atlantic ICW and gets waterborne visitors of all stripes. Most are people just living out a dream that may or may not work out as well as planned. Some are very independent and capable of making it on their own, no matter what. A few fit the hermit category and just exist. Some are a bit off the wall with their boating ideas. A few, thankfully few, are con artists willing to beg or steal as the occasion allows. Most who tie up at the free docks get their picture and/or story on town website that is interesting to keep tabs on. https://towndock.net/
    Tom L

^^ Tom, sounds wonderful to live in a place that still has a reasonable town dock that collects interesting characters.

Latest video is up describing the problems

https://www.yrvind.com

Shame he doesn't want to sail it back to europe. It's going to cost a fair bit to ship her back. I wonder if extra bouyancy and stability couldn't be added by grafting on 100mm of closed cell foam to each side.

I'd love to see what he could do with an old Albin Vega or similar.