Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Sven Yrvind

Default Re: Sven Yrvind

Quote Originally Posted by Snow Pea View Post
    https://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/article/46242362 ???

Also a respected navigator Bill Belcher came unstuck (or rather became stuck) on the same reef. I hadn't heard of that case. It adds another twist to the middleton reef story.
    I recall stopping off at the shed where S F was being built, met the builder who's name I dont recall, but it was an impressive if odd vessel.

Bill Belcher though was a real treat, great guy and his book on self steering of sailing craft is one that I've referred to on a regular basis.

John Welsford
    An expert is but a beginner with experience.

Quote Originally Posted by Snow Pea View Post
    You could say the same about many pastimes, eg riding fast motorbikes, or smoking or drinking. All have the potential to cost society disproportionately compared to the apparent benefits. But I am glad most western societies for the most part let individuals have the freedom to chose our own path.

Yes I'm glad too. I wouldn't stand in his way for a moment. But nor would I glorify him. To me it's like an unsupported Everest ascent with home made gear. If he needs to do it, go for it. But it's a certain sort of crazy. The world is probably richer for men and women of his ilk.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by amish rob View Post
    Brilliant neednít always mean academically intelligent, right? Although, Iím sure Yrvind is quite intelligent, also.

Still. After many years of playing at life, at creating and using and experimenting and thinking...

To a doofus like me, anyone with the courage to be themselves and live their lives is brilliant. Most of the rest of us are dullards.

Peace,
    Robert
    Well, I sort of take your point, but I think you're being a bit hard on `us'. I, for one, can't think of very many less interesting pursuits than spending months at sea in a tiny, smelly, plastic boat doing 2 knots. Maybe interesting instalments but the in-between filler is really dull. Also, I find travellers who work out clever solutions to problems encountered very interesting but travellers who seem to go out of their way to create problems, less so. Maybe I'd be more impressed if the boat didn't look like a papier-mache pirate ship from a school play.

Rick

Quote Originally Posted by RFNK View Post
    Well, I sort of take your point, but I think you're being a bit hard on `us'. I, for one, can't think of very many less interesting pursuits than spending months at sea in a tiny, smelly, plastic boat doing 2 knots. Maybe interesting instalments but the in-between filler is really dull. Also, I find travellers who work out clever solutions to problems encountered very interesting but travellers who seem to go out of their way to create problems, less so. Maybe I'd be more impressed if the boat didn't look like a papier-mache pirate ship from a school play.

Rick
    Great.

Peace,
    Robert