Page 1 of 3 12 ... LastLast

Thread: Sven Yrvind

Default Sven Yrvind

Who's following his current adventure? I like the guy, eccentric as anything, 79 years old, setting out from the west coast of Eire for the south of New Zealand in a tiny boat he's built in his mothers basement. Its about 18,000 N Miles depending upon the course he takes, currently he's a couple of hundred miles out into the Atlantic, sailing in light winds over his stern quarter and judging by the miles he's logged since I looked at breakfast time ( about 1700 gmt) he's making about 2.5 knots, not very fast but in the right direction.

here's the link to his tracker, http://www.yrvind.com/tracker/

Amazing technology.

John Welsford
    An expert is but a beginner with experience.

Default Re: Sven Yrvind

Me.

He is brilliant!

Peace,
    Robert

Ever read Webb Chile's books about his voyage three quarter of the way around the world in a Drascombe Lugger, sister to the boat in my shed? He made it from Frisco(or was it LA?) to Saudi Arabia, with many adventures and mis-adventures along the way. The Saudis arrested him, impounded his boat, accused him of being an Israeli spy. Never did get his boat back, and never finished the voyage. Some good yarns. "Open Boat Across the Pacific" and "The Ocean Waits".
    Last edited by ishmael; 06-05-2018 at 08:46 AM.
    So many questions, so little time.

Between Bourgeoisie and Proletariat - Australia

Great tracker to have - must bookmark.

This story left an impression on me.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/wor...orld-trip.html

Mr Gvozdev built his boat using bits of scrap and fibreglass on the balcony of his second-floor flat in Makhachkala, a town on the Caspian Sea, for £70. H
    "People should be able to access these benefits [Social Welfare] as a matter of right, with no more loss of their own standards of self-respect than would be involved in collecting from an insurance company the proceeds of an endowment policy on which they have been paying premiums for years."
    Robert Menzies - Liberal Party (Conservative) Prime Minister of Australia.

He's just clocked 200 miles, perhaps 1% of the distance he's aiming to cover, sailing in very light quartering tailwinds. I'm about 12 hours out on his time, so with luck he'll make better progress while I sleep.
    I wish John Riding had a "tracker" like this one, he might still be with us if he had.
    Me, I plan to be sitting out off Tairoa Heads sometime next April when he comes over the horizon, all going well with my Long Steps build and Svens voyage of course.

John Welsford

'' You ain't gonna learn what you don't want to know. ''
    Grateful Dead

I got a bit frustrated with Sven after he cut up his Around In Ten boat. There was many who had contributed to his request for help in funding that boat, and he ended up cutting it up and dumping it. That being said, been watching all this come together from the start. I will only say that his sails look a little lightweight for the intended journey, where you might have expected to see triple stitched seams instead of a single, and his water catchment system looks a bit of a handfull to set up in the conditions where rain might be expected. Nice to see him on his way, I would have left from Lisbon. Be interesting to see if his "in-reach" stays reliable and we get updates. He seems to be moving along much better now he has wind aft of the beam.

Having met Sven, I'd say he is an interesting person, for sure. Maybe the single most eccentric boating nut (aren't we all in lesser degree) probably covers his personality well enough but, brilliant? I think that is a stretch. Glad we have those like him to round out the spectrum of human condition though.
    Tom L

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Lathrop View Post
    Having met Sven, I'd say he is an interesting person, for sure. Maybe the single most eccentric boating nut (aren't we all in lesser degree) probably covers his personality well enough but, brilliant? I think that is a stretch. Glad we have those like him to round out the spectrum of human condition though.

Brilliant neednít always mean academically intelligent, right? Although, Iím sure Yrvind is quite intelligent, also.

Still. After many years of playing at life, at creating and using and experimenting and thinking...

To a doofus like me, anyone with the courage to be themselves and live their lives is brilliant. Most of the rest of us are dullards.

Peace,
    Robert

A lot of us just have responsibilities Rob, they trump desires.
    Grateful Dead

Quote Originally Posted by PeterSibley View Post
    A lot of us just have responsibilities Rob, they trump desires.
    Aye. Iím looking at taking on another responsibility, perhaps. Certainly for a short time. I know a bit about the concept.
    They were also my choice, and I donít lament them.

My responsibilities also donít keep me from dreaming, yearning, and doing.

Or, at least trying to, no matter how many times I get slapped down...

Peace,
    Robert

Yrvinds tiny 'Bris' sextant is a brilliant invention on so many levels, I am really surprised it didn't became a commercial success.

Following his voyage and I hope he has a great trip, however it goes.

He is making slightly better progress now, 2.75 knots with a 12 knot following wind.

I am surprised he didn't add any light air sails. In the past he has some pretty clever topsail setups. I would have thought a couple of light air sails would have payed for the weight in reduced food...

His big challenge will be to get past Brazil with the strong SE trades blowimg him down towards the coast. It's going to be tough with such tender boat, given the strong equatorial current.

I'd have thought a kite sail would have suited his ideas.
    Grateful Dead

Yeah, perfect for such a low resistance and low stability boat, but in light airs they need to be sailed in a figure 8. And they could be a handful in a breeze or if they ditch. Pretty cool idea though.

Sailing Report number 2 is out. https://www.yrvind.com

"Very cramped and rank. The fore cabin full of stuff, so I handle the sail and the boat center board from the deck. Will be difficult balance. Right now strong northern wind. Going like a spear. She rolls very much *down wind."

I just checked his tracker, 422 miles now, thats further than quite a few people thought he'd get.

John Welsford

Go, go, go. My confidence wasn't high!
    Grateful Dead

How many of us would have cracked already? Me!

Stinky, crowded, rolly, and sardines!

Dude is something else. And, I love to hear him talk.

Peace,
    Robert

Slow suicide if you want my opinion. The boat should have a huge DNR (Do Not Rescue) sign on its sides. And bottom. I don't really care if he wants to risk his life, but spare a thought for the guys who have to retrieve him.

The loss of access through the forward cabin makes things much more risky. As I recall his original plan was to do all the sailhandling from a secure position standing in the forward hatch, accessed from underdeck. Now he needs to climb over the deck just to reef or drop a sail, on such a tender boat that could get interesting in a midnight squall.

His solar panels corroding is a problem. Those lightweight flexible panels don't seem very reliable. Web chiles had a very high failure rate as well, but at least Sven doesn't have a hungry autopilot to feed.

Quote Originally Posted by Snow Pea View Post
    The loss of access through the forward cabin makes things much more risky. As I recall his original plan was to do all the sailhandling from a secure position standing in the forward hatch, accessed from underdeck. Now he needs to climb over the deck just to reef or drop a sail, on such a tender boat that could get interesting in a midnight squall.

His solar panels corroding is a problem. Those lightweight flexible panels don't seem very reliable. Web chiles had a very high failure rate as well, but at least Sven doesn't have a hungry autopilot to feed.
    That's worth knowing . Thanks.
    Grateful Dead

Quote Originally Posted by john welsford View Post
    I like the guy, eccentric as anything, 79 years old, setting out from the west coast of Eire for the south of New Zealand in a tiny boat he's built in his mothers basement.
    I also marvel sailors that never retire. Just wondering, how old is his mother.

It was Bris that he built in his mothers basement, that being a long, long time ago, and he now resides on the other coast. As for the "do not rescue" comment. I think you will find Sven is of the self sufficient mind set and has not in the past carried VHF or EPIRBS.

Good to see his speed has increased. Not a good thing he is having to go on deck though, i broke 3 ribs falling into a cockpit when i was less than half his age.

Very slow progress. 24nm in the last 24 hours. Looks like very light following winds, 5-10 knots or so. I would be interesting to see what exlex can do with a bit more wind. Seems like a pretty easy start at least with no strong winds yet.

This thread got me thinking on a 'sailboat hero' from my misspent youth, Robert Manry. Circa 1965 he took an open lapstrake dinghy(Old Town Whitecap), put a cabin on it, and sailed the pond west to east. At the time the shortest boat to have made the crossing. He was a much younger man, and died suddenly of a heart attack just a few years after. Ya never know how much time ya got.

http://www.robertmanryproject.com/

As a boy I was especially interested because he was from my home town, Cleveland, OH.

"Decide what's right, and then go ahead."

David Crockett

Fair winds, Sven. Your'e a better man than I!
    So many questions, so little time.

Certainly not the most efficient rig he could have used.
    The definition of stupid has got to be the belief that more guns will negate the bloodshed done with guns.

Thanks Ishmael, I hadn't known what happened to Robert Manry. Very sad, but at least he lived his dream, and what an amazing voyage it was. Interesting to compare Exlex to Tinkerbelle.

I think Tinkerbelle would have been faster, with more form stability and a much bigger rig. But maybe exlex will find her legs when she gets a bit more wind, and Sven eats and drinks his way through some of the stores.

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Y View Post
    Slow suicide if you want my opinion. The boat should have a huge DNR (Do Not Rescue) sign on its sides. And bottom. I don't really care if he wants to risk his life, but spare a thought for the guys who have to retrieve him.
    You could say the same about many pastimes, eg riding fast motorbikes, or smoking or drinking. All have the potential to cost society disproportionately compared to the apparent benefits. But I am glad most western societies for the most part let individuals have the freedom to chose our own path.

I remember a boat called Sosban Fach, anyone else ?
    Grateful Dead

Quote Originally Posted by Snow Pea View Post
    You could say the same about many pastimes, eg riding fast motorbikes, or smoking or drinking. All have the potential to cost society disproportionately compared to the apparent benefits. But I am glad most western societies for the most part let individuals have the freedom to chose our own path.
    See my Tim Minchin thread in The Bilge.
    The definition of stupid has got to be the belief that more guns will negate the bloodshed done with guns.

Quote Originally Posted by PeterSibley View Post
    I remember a boat called Sosban Fach, anyone else ?
    https://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/article/46242362 ???

Also a respected navigator Bill Belcher came unstuck (or rather became stuck) on the same reef. I hadn't heard of that case. It adds another twist to the middleton reef story.

I think only JW can move this, as its his thread, but surely Sven deserves a better place than the bilge?......i know its a foam and snot boat, but still.......

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Lathrop View Post
    Read the inscription in the pic below

Inspiration for KATE
    Enjoy a good rum on the rocks at sunset.

Slow progress in the wrong direction. Doesn't look like much fun.. At least he is well clear of the low to the north.