Thread: Timber on a stainless wheel

Default Timber on a stainless wheel

I am thinking a timber wheel might be nice on my mini tug (no not the salty pirate type) but can only find them in Mahogany so I'm thinking of getting a simple stainless steel on and encasing it in Jarrah to match the rest of my trim, has anyone on here done it before?

Phill

Default Re: Timber on a stainless wheel

I once put a teak rim on a stainless destroyer wheel. What a PITA! I got a lot of cash for it, but I wouldn't do it again for 10 times the money. I'm certain there would be better methods than the one I used. I have no intention of trying to find one.

Have you thought about leather?
    Schooner captains love to get blown offshore!

You might try few layers of really thin veneer stock, spiral wrapping long fairly narrow strips glued with West System G-Flex. Application would be fairly easy and if you don't mind the unconventional resulting grain direction. Think I would lightly scuff the shiny CRS and wipe off excess squeeze out as I went. If needed a strip of clear 8 mil poly could be over wrapped for clamping action on each layer allowing cure and sanding between layers.
    This is the first lesson ye should learn: There is so much good in the worst of us, and so much bad in the best of us, it doesn't behoove any of us to speak evil of the rest of us.
    E. Cayce

Mine has stainless spokes, screwed to a rim which is laminated timber. Sorry, dont have a picture which would be any use. So maybe get a stainless wheel and cut the rim off.

If I had a dollar for every girl who found me unattractive, eventually they would find me attractive.

I'd second the leather on the rim. The spokes can be done more easily (a relative term) by taking round pieces, cutting in half & routing out the center. They can then be glued on - or use a seizing at each end. It'll be picky work to get them to fit tightly but not leave a gap along the edges.
    "If it ain't broke, you're not trying." - Red Green

Found a pic of mine
    IMG_0785.jpg

Thank's for all the replies, that out of the box mahogany wheel looks like a pretty good option, leather is nice but it's way outside my skill set, I'm aiming for an october launch so I guess I should stop adding difficult jobs to the list and get on with it.

Phill

Quote Originally Posted by mermod View Post
    Thank's for all the replies, that out of the box mahogany wheel looks like a pretty good option, leather is nice but it's way outside my skill set, I'm aiming for an october launch so I guess I should stop adding difficult jobs to the list and get on with it.
    Phill

Last edited by Garret; 06-07-2018 at 06:02 AM.
    "If it ain't broke, you're not trying." - Red Green

So I was at the local marine place and they had a mahogany one on the shelf, we got talking and he reduced the price a tad so I couldn't really say no not Jarrah but I don't think anyone will notice.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Nice find Phill - and much better than jarrah anyway, far less movement (growth and shrinkage with the unavoidable ongoing cycles of wetting and drying) than you’d have experienced with the jarrah. Having said that, fit it so that it’s very easily removable whenever you’re off the boat.
    Larks

“It’s impossible”, said pride.
    “It’s risky”, said experience.
    “It’s pointless”, said reason.
    “Give it a try”, whispered the heart.

LPBC Beneficiary

"Keep away from people who try to belittle your ambitions. Small people always do that, but the really great make you feel that you, too, can become great!"

Perfect! You deserve a break after the hassles you were having with the neighbors from hell. Well done.

Quote Originally Posted by Larks View Post
    Nice find Phill - and much better than jarrah anyway, far less movement (growth and shrinkage with the unavoidable ongoing cycles of wetting and drying) than you’d have experienced with the jarrah. Having said that, fit it so that it’s very easily removable whenever you’re off the boat.
    Is that to stop them sealing the boat or the wheel?

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Y View Post
    Perfect! You deserve a break after the hassles you were having with the neighbors from hell. Well done.
    We haven't heard from the crazy neighbor for quite some time, we heard through the grape vine that he had a heart attack last year, other than that we were starting to think his partner might have his body stored in the freezer