Thread: Wooden Sailboat Killed on Lake Erie

Default Wooden Sailboat Killed on Lake Erie

Courtesy of SA, comes this Tale of Woe & Intrigue.

TL;DR -- Wooden sailboat (WAYWARD WIND, 28 feet) in Lake Erie off Edgwater, Ohio (Cleveland) loses power. Guy drops anchor, but it "didn't catch the bottom". Vessel drifts onto the breakwater where it apparently took just a few minutes for her side to be stove in and sink her. Didn't even occur to them to try and make sail. And the Coast Guard had to convince them that it was time to leave.

Sailboat sinks after boaters are rescued near Edgewater
    POSTED 6:21 PM, JUNE 2, 2018, BY ADRIENNE DIPIAZZA

CLEVELAND – The Wayward Wind was pulled way off course. The 30-foot sailboat and three on board were in Lake Erie Saturday when around noon the boat’s engines malfunctioned and shut down.

"They had mechanical malfunctions so he threw his anchor out. The anchor didn’t catch the bottom and with the sea state and the winds coming out of the north it actually pushed him on the rocks," explained Petty Officer Chris DiGiovanni with the U.S. Coast Guard.

The boat rammed repeatedly into the breakwall near Edgewater Park. Its wooden sides were cracking and breaking. The boat owner called for help and within five minutes the Coast Guard arrived on scene. A woman on board had jumped from the boat into the water and was wearing a life jacket.

Petty Officer DiGiovanni was the one driving the rescue boat and had to convince the owner to jump.

"We directed them to safely actually had to abandon ship, jump off their boat and then we were able to pull them onboard ours. Unfortunately we had to leave their vessel on the rocks but for us, our primary goal is to save a life," DiGiovanni said.

The force of the waves ripped a hole in the side of the boat and it began to take on water. Within 30 seconds the boat sunk.

"I’m glad they got off safely I’m sorry to see it go down I didn’t think I’d see it go down," said Laurie, who also owns a sailboat and was watching from shore. "Sure enough she just sunk like a rock and it makes you sick, sick to your stomach," she continued.

The three people on board were treated for minor injuries.

All that’s left of the boat is the mast sticking up out of the water.

"The owner had the boat for about three weeks, so I agree that he didn’t want to leave his boat. But at the same time we had to reassure him that his life was in danger and we’re there to save a life. So knowing that that vessel sunk it’s very good that we got them off that," DiGiovanni said.

She seems to have slid down the breakwater now:

Last edited by Nicholas Carey; 06-04-2018 at 09:01 PM.
    You would not enjoy Nietzsche, sir. He is fundamentally unsound. P.G. Wodehouse (Carry On, Jeeves)

afloat with at least 6' of water under me.

Default Re: Wooden Sailboat Killed on Lake Erie

Killing even a wooden boat must have been difficult.LOL Was it it's heart, or a stroke? Maybe Cancer?

When the wind is out of the north the seas can get pretty crazy right there.

Mickey Lake
    'A disciple of the Norse god of aesthetically pleasing boats, Johan Anker'

Quote Originally Posted by bamamick View Post
    When the wind is out of the north the seas can get pretty crazy right there.

Mickey Lake
    Don’t we know that.

Quote Originally Posted by S.V. Airlie View Post
    Killing even a wooden boat must have been difficult.LOL Was it it's heart, or a stroke? Maybe Cancer?
    Blunt force trauma.
    Rattling the teacups.

BFT was the immediate cause but it was as though she just lost her will to sail and didn't even try to avoid the blows. Maybe it was just her time.
    There is no rational, logical, or physical description of how free will could exist. It therefore makes no sense to praise or condemn anyone on the grounds they are a free willed self that made one choice but could have chosen something else. There is no evidence that such a situation is possible in our Universe. Demonstrate otherwise and I will be thrilled.

What would it take? Perhaps 30 seconds to deploy that roller furling jib?

Quote Originally Posted by S.V. Airlie View Post
    Blunt force trauma.

fibreglass boat
    If war is the answer........... it must be a profoundly stupid question

I don't think that one could claw off that lee shore under jib alone. I personally am reluctant to go even a short distance without the sails either up or at least fully at the ready.

^And, from long ago memory, there should have been some pretty good holding ground. Sand and gravel. The story doesn't mention the type of anchor, or how experienced the skipper.
    So many questions, so little time.

ouch sad to hear...

are those the conditions in question? does not look all that bad... decent breeze.

Yeah, we don't know the skipper's mind, or whether he possesses foresight such as Ian's, but if Murphy was around, the engine'd quite just a few yards upwind of the jetty, leaving one with not many options and very little time.

Kevin
    There are two kinds of boaters: those who have run aground, and those who lie about it.

Erie can be REALLY strange on the Eastern coast with a wind from Wisconsin trying to make cheese of you.

Congratulations getting your crew off, Skipper, but perhaps this is a wakeup call to NOT rely on a motor and to NOT get into such situations in the first place.

Still, you lost no lives and a boat can be replaced, so overall - well done.

Still, an object lesson to all new skippers... If you are heading for the rocks/lee shore, CALL FOR ASSISTANCE.

Experienced sailors will get themselves into situations where they can NOT save the swhip, and often (unfortunately) the crew.

Call for help, NOW. I have spoken to more than one skipper whose boat took the long trip to the bottom who were too embarrased to ask for help of the Coast Guard and whose vessels are now reefs.

Don;t let your ego overwhelm your good senses..

^Yep, without more details it's impossible to know just what happened here. And, when going on the water, "belt and suspenders" is a good idea. Glad no one drowned.

Hm. Looking at the 'sea' conditions in the photos it doesn't look very rough. Not how that lake can be when it kicks up its heels on the south shore, with a stiff northerly wind. Because of the shallow depths it can develop a wicked chop in a hurry.

Kinda strange story.

Once, I was working the Phlly Folk Festival back when the N_Motorola hand-set four-channel radio WAS the "State Of The Art" for Police communication.<br>
    <br>
    That year, one of our somewhat less-than-intelligent Pennsylvania State Police Liaison ossifers decided that leaving this (at the time) very expensive ($950+) and difficult to obtain electronic communication device on a table at Main Tickets would be a really, REALLY great thing to do.<br>
    <br>
    You gotta understand, at that time I had hair down my back, this huge red/gold beard (Think Gandalf in an earlier incarnation) and a "graduation Gown" which several ladies had embroidered upon, with stars, comets, and Zodiacal designs.... you got the idea?<br>
    <br>
    Well, as was my "wont". and sans culotte, I was using this to encase my masculine magnifinicencies (Well, it WERE Thirty-odd years on , then, wunnit?")<br>
    <br>
    All punctuation aside, this fool decided to say as it were I, (that is, ME) as was the only suspect in the heist... So, he wound up on the "Rowboat Patrol" on Lake Erie.&nbsp; (Knocking tghe turds outtaq w=the way of the boat.. well, SOMEBORY'S gotta do it?&nbsp; Right??)<br>
    <br>
    Except the Commandant of the PennStaPol were a frienfd o' mine from a few small incursions we'd done in the early 60's into a country in the Warm and leafy regions of Annaman to extract some 'Francaise" from "Les Indios".<br>
    <br>
    It was interesting time.<br>
    <br>
    <br>
    The most bone-chilling radio call you will EVER hear is, "Sauve Qui Peut".
    Last edited by Vince Brennan; 06-05-2018 at 12:24 AM.

I sail in this area all the time.
    Looking at the video the sailboat hit the breakwater between the Edgewater Pier and the entrance into the Edgewater Yacht Club. (See the link below)
    The area is very good for anchoring.
    The story states that the owner only had the boat for 3 weeks.
    My guess is he purchased the sailboat with old fuel and when the weather kicked up all the crap clogged his filter.
    Because he was so close to the breakwater when he dropped his anchor it did not hold because he could not let out enough line.
    https://www.google.ca/maps/place/Edg...!4d-81.7354488