Thread: 5200: hygene for the tube and the students

Default 5200: hygene for the tube and the students

I have not yet figured this out, please advise: I have a Tuesday / Thursday after-school class building skiffs. I have problems with a partially used tube of the stuff getting cured in the tip between classes while the stuff on the boat is still a sticky mess in the same amount of time.... Whaaat? I have tried putting screws in the tip of the tube, have tried tying latex and nitrile glove fingers around the tip, etc. This is one issue which can leave me messing around with tubes and tips when I should be teaching. The second issue is developing procedures for cleaning the gick up with easily distracted 11-14 year olds. Cleaning in-the-moment is a hard sell at 6pm when the kids have been in school or building since 8am. Scraping already-cured 5200 is a hard-sell no matter what. I solicit your experience and guidance....

I have tried fast-cure 5200 on Tuesdays, hoping it would be done by Thursday, while using regular cure 5200 on Thursdays, which seems to be done by the following Tuesday. I have also tried the mix-in-the-tube epoxies on the chine-log which I liked, because the squeeze-out planed and sanded much more easily after cure than 5200, but sometimes the tip of these two-part rigs gets intermingled, solid, unusable and wasted. Please advise.

Ken

Default Re: 5200: hygene for the tube and the students

For cleaning up the squeeze out, I've found that you can get most of it with a plastic spreader like you use for applying epoxy then follow up with mineral spirits to get the rest. But it's easiest to do as soon as you apply it. So maybe a last glue 20 minutes before the end of the session rule is in order...
    -Jim

Sucker for a pretty face.
    1934 27' Blanchard Cuiser ~ Amazon, Ex. Emalu
    19'6" Caledonia Yawl ~ Sparrow

Getting into trouble one board at a time.

Does 5200 have a separate cap and tip? If so, remove the tip and cap the tube, then imbed a screw in the tip from the wide end which should make it easier to pull out the plug when set.

ETA: I just realized that the tip is probably integral to the tube on that product.

Is it necessary to use an adhesive? Perhaps switching to one of the Sika products which are less expensive and faster curing will make things easier. Use screws to hold it together until the caulk is cured then leave the screws in. Sika 291 is a pretty good adhesive. Backed up with screws it will be just fine.

If your joinery is good enough and you are comfortable with it you can use TIII and screws. It's much less expensive, it cleans up with water and it cures quite quickly. The reason I specify that you need to be comfortable with it is that it says not for use below the waterline. I have done exactly that and it works and lasts just fine, but the joinery must be good, it's not at all gap filling. I think the manufacturer is protecting themselves from a potential liability finding when the joinery is really poor.

Even if the joinery is only so/so you may still be able to use it if you're taping the seams.

The only caulk I've ever been able to prevent from curing in the nozzle is acrylic latex. A couple of turns of green masking tape keeps it good for months. It too cleans up with water, and backed up with screws should do the job.

How about a photo of your class with the kids and a boat or two?

Sometimes I let the goo(silicone,PL and others) cure in the tip.
    When I need it again, I split the tip on one side, down it's length, and push out the plug.
    Then I tape the split shut and do the job.
    Need it again? Unwind the tape,dig out the cured blob, tape the split and go.
    R
    Last edited by Ron Williamson; 06-04-2018 at 06:19 PM.
    Sleep with one eye open.

11 - 14 year old kids
    caulking tube condoms
    should be a real hit

my local ici dulux glidden ppg paint distributor sells them on their counter like $2.50 for a package of ten
    they're reusable

download.jpg
    Simpler is better, except when complicated looks really cool.

Sometimes I let the goo(silicone,PL and others) cure in the tip.
    When I need it again, I split the tip on one side, down it's length, and push out the plug.
    Then I tape the split shut and do the job.
    Need it again? Unwind the tape,dig out the cured blob, tape the split and go.
    R
    Gold! So obvious once you read it, but I don't think I would have thought of that on my own. Its stuff like this makes me hang around here.

Thanks, Ron.
    There are two kinds of boaters: those who have run aground, and those who lie about it.

5200 + kids = gooey kids = angry mothers looking to put your head on a pike

Jeff

I’ve recently seen an opened tube of 5200 sealed up with a glob of glue from a hot glue gun. Might be worth a try.

I’ve recently seen an opened tube of 5200 sealed up with a glob of glue from a hot glue gun.
    That's a genuinely clever idea. Especially if it works.

Alex

my solution, which has never failed (at least in a tube's lifetime at my shop) is putting the opened tube in the freezer.

Unscrew the point from the tube, put a bit of plastic bag or kitchen tube over the end and screw the nozzle back on. Push out the cured stuff from the narrow end and you wont need to split the nozzle and retape, or just blag or buya handful of nozzlez from the retailer when you buy the mastic or sealant or whatever. A bit wasteful on material but when time is more important….and the cured in the nozzle is a dead man anyway
    Works well for silicone sealants and acrylic putty and mastic, but what's 5200? is it two part epoxy ? the principle should be the same though
    Last edited by jonboy; 06-05-2018 at 04:05 PM. Reason: spellnig and afterthoughts
    'C'est la vie' say the old folks it goes to show you never can tell

Not all tips thread off and on.

R
    Sleep with one eye open.

Quote Originally Posted by jonboy View Post
    Works well for silicone sealants and acrylic putty and mastic, but what's 5200? is it two part epoxy ? the principle should be the same though
    lol

He is fortunate to be in a place that 5200 has not spread to.

My late father-in-law had an old Higgins boat...a seaplane re-arming craft...that he'd bought from Uncle Sam at the end of the war in Okinawa. He'd put a cabin and deck on her and she was a great family yacht. After living overseas for many years he brought her back home. She was the second-oldest boat here in Squalicum Harbor for decades.

He was working on her one day and was taking a break up at the cafe in the marina. After his lunch he was just sitting on the curb, enjoying the warm sun. His work outfit was an old pair of dress blues, leather dress shoes with the heels broken down, and an ancient, tattered Pendleton wool shirt. He wore a spare pair of mended glasses so his regular pair wouldn't be ruined.

He was smeared with Sikaflex. It was all over his shoes, his pants, his shirt, on his face, on his glasses, and it was acting as crazy mousse in his unruly hair. To complete the look, he had one eye that went in its own direction as the result of a shrapnel wound in the war.

As he sat there on the curb, a woman in a nice car stopped, rolled down her window, and asked him, "Do you have a home?"

He couldn't bear to tell her that he did, and that it had four bedrooms and a five-car garage.

He got the biggest kick out of that! I still have one of the old wool blankets off that boat...it has several smears of Sikaflex on it.
    Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible. ~The Dalai Lama

^

"do you have a home?"

I have used quite a bit of Sika (cases of it) and only a little less 5200. The best discipline is "Don't touch it", "Ever!"

If the stuff is to be used in a place that shows, there are two options, always starting with an empty 5 gallon pail at your side. Tape very carefully at least an inch wide the margins, and then after the application scrape off what you can using your little cup of 50 (home made) tongue depressors cut in half, only one swipe at a time, discarding each immediately, do not be tempted to use or touch it twice. Then wipe off the excess using a roll of TP one sheet at a time, discarding each one as you go never touching the stuff with your skin. If you have rubber gloves on and accidentally get it on the glove, stop right there! Throw that glove away and get another. You can get some mileage by cutting the fingers from the glove and just using those as a condom on your index finger. After that business has mostly cured remove the tape. Or alternatively; tape it off, apply the part, clamp and fasten, then walk away for about a week and come back with your finest chisel to cut off the excess just to the tape line, then remove the tape. Use only the best tape, do not get any past the margins, if you think that may happen, use a wider tape or two passes.
    If it is used in a place that doesn't show, like under a deck perhaps, apply just enough to get a squeeze out and leave it alone. "Don't touch it" - "Walk away"! *Note - This is an advanced exercise in restraint.
    Remembering always the adage, "If you don't get a squeeze out, you're not boat building"!

*Note; This procedure is probably impossible until you have reached the age of 40 Until then you will be reminded of Bre'r Rabbit and the tar patch.

The invention of 5200 gave new meaning to the phrase, "I'm tired of cleaning up other peoples mistakes!" At least I can honestly say that I have no problems with it because I don't use It!
    Jay

I haven't tried this. Like Jay, I don't need to.

5200 is a moisture cure PU, so the most important thing to avoid is moisture. A reasonably airtight container with a desiccant should keep it from setting up. Some desiccants have a color changing dye that tells you when to throw them in the oven to bake out the absorbed moisture. This should work for silicones and anything else that needs moisture to cure.

I have had limited success with aluminum foil, which is an excellent moisture barrier if wrapped carefully.

Google desiccant
    Google Dririte
    Management is the art of counting beans. Leadership is the art of making every being count. --Joe Finch

...but what is 5200?
    It’s a product in a tube commonly used to glue 11-14 year old kids together.

Liquid nails is WAY cheaper than 5200 and is VERY adequate for skiff and knockabout kid boat building projects. Still sticky and messy, but I'd leave 5200 for gluing together RVs (and never again on a boat.....).

Quote Originally Posted by BrianM View Post
    Liquid nails is WAY cheaper than 5200 and is VERY adequate for skiff and knockabout kid boat building projects. Still sticky and messy, but I'd leave 5200 for gluing together RVs (and never again on a boat.....).
    Immersion is a bugger. Not many adhesives are suitable for use below the waterline. Stick (one way or another) with Sika and the 3M PUs or PL Premium.
    Management is the art of counting beans. Leadership is the art of making every being count. --Joe Finch