Thread: Trailering a boat

Default Trailering a boat

OK guys, I got the hitch on the car yesterday and I'm getting ready to take the plunge. A few more details to check. Do the lights still work and such.

I'm a little nervous, cause of timing the tide mostly, and just the basic handling of a trailer.

Any words of wisdom? Just to get you up to speed: 1200 lb. rig, Toyota Corolla with a five speed, good ramp, roughly ten feet of tide.

Don't forget the drain plug!

Default Re: Trailering a boat

Backing a trailer is not intuitive, practice for a while in a wide open space.

Tide timing is the last thing I worry about, even when towing to one of the coasts. Minute-by-minute timing isn't necessary. Ramps in tidal areas are usually long enough to handle any tide, though moss and weed can reduce traction at lower tides. Internet is full of trailering advice.

Disconnect the trailer lights before backing into the water. Bring a wheel chock, lots of cars end up Inthe water and on YouTube. Donít let anyone rush you. High tide would be better for keeping the car tires on clean concrete. Ramps get slimy further down.
    __________________________________________________ ________________________

One handy trick - I use only mirrors but most will do better twisting around to look out the rear window - is to plant one hand on the bottom of the wheel and move your hand in the direction that you want the back end of the the trailer to go.

At this time of year, the principle ramp in Hyannis has many commercial haulers, who are very good, and many goofballs launching their outboards. A most entertaining contrast. Given the diversity of the Cape's population and the tendency of not so affluent people to scratch for the bounty of the sea, the early morning launching ramp arguments get carried on in Portugese, Spanish, Greek, Russian, Finnish, Canadian French, Creole French, various forms of Pidgin, some pretty strange English - strange even by our Bilge standards - and a number of tongues I could not recognize.

Park above high tide
    Good luck

^
    This.

War is peace.
    Freedom is slavery.
    Ignorance is strength.
    Trump is doing beautifully.

First couple times should be on a week day with less ramp activity. once you get a routine that works stick to it. experiment with how far to back the trailer in so you can just get the boat off without a struggle. Loading may be different as you want the boat to stay straight while cranking it on, to far in makes it harder sometimes if you have wind or cross tides.

South Puget Sound/summer Eastern carib./winter

Cross the safety chains .Make an X . That way, they will catch the tongue if it pops off.
    I did it a block away from home. I plumb forgot to drop the latch.

When I was younger we used to search out the new moon and the unusualy high tides around the new year then sail into our favorite slough. You could sail over what was almost always dry land and reach places that normally there was no access.
    Always keeping an eye for the high slack water, we would head back to the ramp immediately lest the boat be trapped there until next spring tide! Once I was able to sail right up to the door of my truck and hold the handle while the tide recedeed from the parking lot! It went out fast about ten minutes. It was midnight, new years eve...

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Montgomery View Post
    ^
    This.

Breath. Focus but relax. Ignore any onlookers ( eff em)

Kevin

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    There are two kinds of boaters: those who have run aground, and those who lie about it.

Mostly, ignore the guy who tries to give you directions.

Jeff

Thanks fellows. Some really good suggestions.

The trailer's a good one, Shorelander, well galvanized steel, new tires, and wheels with bearing buddies. One mod I want to make at some point is to replace the carpeted bunks with rollers. Seems they make it possible to dunk without getting the wheel bearings wet.

I was thinking. The last time I had this boat on the water was with Joe Dupere. We splashed at Bucksport, just down the road from here, and had a nice sail on he river. I didn't get to know Joe all that well, but a real nice guy. I was sad to hear of his passing. He and his wife were at the beginning of a whole new life. RIP Joe. I think I'll dedicate my first venture to him.
    Last edited by ishmael; 06-03-2018 at 07:12 PM.

Practice your trailer backing in a supermarket car park at a time it's almost deserted.
    '' You ain't gonna learn what you don't want to know. ''
    Grateful Dead

Quote Originally Posted by PeterSibley View Post
    Practice your trailer backing in a supermarket car park at a time it's almost deserted.
    Excellent advice, even if a repeat. And don't let your wife try to back it up for you. (Don't ask me how I know!)
    "The future is already here ó it's just not very evenly distributed." William Gibson

Don't let the car wheels get immersed in seawater any past the tires. My garage mechanic must have been cursing me over the seawater corrosion on the lug nuts when working on the brakes.
    Will

Don't even let her spot for you.....don't ask.....

He he! Some funny posts. I figure if you get the car wet, you're clearly tuned into the wrong channel. Get it really wet, especially in salt water, and the car is toast!

It's a relatively small boat, the brakes are good on the car, so with a little forethought and planning, things i'm good at, it'll be just fine. Just gotta practice and do it!

Thanks again. You've given me good things to consider.

^ You drive on salted roads all winter long. Put getting the wheels wet in perspective.

Kevin
    There are two kinds of boaters: those who have run aground, and those who lie about it.

My old Geo Metro
    three-cylinder with a massive power output of 52 hp

Drilled the hitch strait through the plastic bumper

This post is temporary and my disappear at the discretion of the managment

Volvo Cross country AWD with tow package

The second boat, Joe, is probably closer in all up weight to this Drascombe. Probably a bit heavier, but close.

Hey, I've got it figured, I'm pretty sure. Now, just doing it. It'll be fun, and a good thing to get back on the water. I've missed that in my life.

Tidbit was pretty stout probably close to 3,000 lbs

Quote Originally Posted by ishmael View Post
    Thanks fellows. Some really good suggestions.

The trailer's a good one, Shorelander, well galvanized steel, new tires, and wheels with bearing buddies. One mod I want to make at some point is to replace the carpeted bunks with rollers. Seems they make it possible to dunk without getting the wheel bearings wet.

No rollers for a wooden boat
    Kate McMillan/Jan Adkins
    Trailers equipped with rollers to support a boat’s bilges are fine for many fiber*glass boats, but can cause plank-damaging point-loading on wooden hulls.

Kate McMillan
    Carpeted wooden bunks provide support all along the length of the bilges, while regularly spaced blocking or rollers support most of the boat’s weight along the keel.

9. Improper support on the trailer

When the season is over and it’s time to haul your boat, you must be sure it will be properly supported on the trailer; errors in this department can lead to major work.
    First, make sure the weight of the boat is distributed evenly along the length of the keel. If your trailer has bunks or stands, think of them as kickstands only. They are there to prevent the boat from falling over, but they should not hold the entire weight of the boat. You should be able to loosen one whole side and careen the boat over. Rollers are generally bad for planked wooden hulls: they tend to point-load the hull, rather than distribute the weight evenly. If the centerline structure is not supported, bunks or stands can press themselves into the sides and bottom of the boat. Most hulls aren’t built for these pressures, and they will deflect in those areas. The hull was built to have uniform pressure all over, not in a few localized places.
    The problems caused by improper trailer arrangements can be magnified when coupled with ratchet straps. These straps are convenient and easy, but also powerful enough to split a plank. Use them with caution. I prefer using rope and a trucker’s hitch; this provides adequate pressure for keeping the boat from moving during transit. With the weight centered on the trailer, and with the trailer winch holding your boat forward, your strap should be tightened only enough to keep the boat and trailer together, to prevent bumps in the road from doing any harm. If your boat has a drain plug and is stored outdoors on a trailer, pitch the hull so the plug is at the low point and any water will run out if your cover leaks.

3000#s is way heavier than this boat, Joe. I figure around 900 with gear.

This boat is glass, so rollers wouldn't be an issue.

Thanks again gents. I really appreciate all the tips.