Thread: Maurice Griffiths plans?

Default Maurice Griffiths plans?

Does anybody know if MG's plans are archived someplace and/or available for use? It may be that my google-fu isn't working but for somebody as prolific as Mr. Griffiths was I can't seem to locate a source for his works as an NA.

Specifically "Tamaris" has found her way onto my short list of boats being considered for the next one. "Annie", H28 and Common Sense Sloop are on the list too. Comfortable singlehanding the San Juans and Inside Passage in my retirement years is the plan.
    Steve

Boats, like whiskey, are all good.
    R.D Culler

Default Re: Maurice Griffiths plans?

You can find some of his designs here:

http://www.eventides.org.uk/

Its an odd one. Most of the work he did with conjunction of Yachting Monthly, such as the Eventide and Waterwitch can be found from the Eventides group. I believe plans for "storm" are now also avliable, as and when people donate the plans to be scanned. Im not sure what the deal was with Kylix, MG drew the boat for himself and a few were built by a yard in Essex, but what happened to the plans?
    Reach out to John at the above site, he will know as much as anyone as to what can be located. Tamaris is a peach.

Stromborg, I can’t answer your inquiry, and you may already know of this design. But I want to put it up here for the record. It’s Tad Robert’s spin Tamara, inspired be Tamaris. If someone didn’t want the cenrerboard, I wonder if he would modify it for them?

http://www.tadroberts.ca/services/sm.../sail/tamara24

23B5C153-296C-48C5-97A3-132456C58FC2.jpg
    "Yeah, well, that's just, like your opinion man"
    -The Dude-

The Eventides group looked pretty defunct last time I checked but there does appear to be some life there after all. Enquiry sent. Tad Roberts Tamara certainly looks like a possibility.

Thanks!
    Steve

R.D Culler

There are two Eventide Owners associations. The original is/was the Eventide Owners Association (http://www.eventideowners.org.uk). The Association was formed when the magazine Yachting Monthly decided it no longer wanted to deal with maintaining and selling MG's plans that he donated to the magazine. However, they appeared to be a bit elitist and in contravention of the original terms of the gift of the plans, started to charge "commercial" prices for them - the original terms of the gift were that the plans were to be sold "at cost" to anyone interested.

Following a split, the Eventide Owners Group was set up and there was quite a bitter dispute between the two. The EOG started from nothing and acquired copies of various plans and makes them available on CD for minimal cost (about 5 or 6 UK pounds depending on where you live - UK or abroad). Details here: http://www.eventides.org.uk/plans.htm I have plans for several of their deigns and each one includes a statment that you are free to distribute and give away copies of the plans as you see fit.

The EOG is still very much active and regularly updates their website and their "What's New?" section is updated on a weekly basis. They have resident experts on the various designs and any support you want or need is dealt with promptly and efficiently.

The EOA has declined in importance and their website is moribund and unlike the EOG, has many warnings about copyright infringements and generally comes across as being authoritarian and unfriendly.

Try both and see if you can track down the design you want.

This from the Eventide Owners Group:

Hello Steve,

Sadly these drawings and may other of the older designs by MG were destroyed in air raids during WWII and lost.

Occasionally a set of rare drawings is unearthed and donated to us so we can publish them for all to see, but these have not yet appeared.

One day maybe??

If you ever track a set down get them copied and please share them with us!

Regards,
    John Williams
    Eventide Owners Group.
    Steve

R.D Culler