Thread: Simple panel doors for sliding or split for hinged opening, Mr. "Legend" don't look

Wink Simple panel doors for sliding or split for hinged opening, Mr. "Legend" don't look

I am a simple guy but wanted a paneled door that I did not have to deal with those seams and joints opening up down the road for water to wick in and rot either. This can be done in a day if you plan correctly. Cut you a sheet of 1/4" plywood [gasp] for your entrance, whether its a slider or two split hinged opening doors, which I am going with when done. Then cut your available solid wood. In my case I used Juniper for weight savings and also plan on painting it , so no need for any fancy hardwoods.

The thickness when resawing the board ended up to be 1/2" . This makes the door come out 1 1/4" when its done. Of course you can end up with a thinner door. But when I do the finish sanding, I plan on sawing it down the middle, for the folding and hinged feature with a lock and moulding over the seam.

I dry fit everything, staggering the joints from one side to the other. Then I glue up one side and let it cure to a green stage and then flip it over and glue up the other side. With thickened epoxy, and beginning in the morning, you can have a completed door in a day. Make sure your surface is flat for the glue up. That's really important in the initial glue up for the first side.

IMG_2070.jpgIMG_2069.jpg
    Happy trails to you.

Default Re: Simple panel doors for sliding or split for hinged opening, Mr. "Legend" don't l

Very nice. I may steal this idear and use it.

While I'm here, do you have a link to that nice little cabin boat you built a few years back? I can't seem to find it.

Default Re: Simple panel doors for sliding or split for hinged opening, Mr. "Legend" don't l

Havng built many doors with stiles and rails I beg to differ, Looks great and all but the joints are about the same, they will still be subject to seasonal changes. The beauty of a floating panel is just that It floats in the frame (stiles and rails) It is however a very classy and above average woodworking solution! maybe some mock square pegs ? give it a real nautical flavor
    Denise, Bristol PA, Oday30, Anchor Yacht Club, On tidal Delaware River. my current project; http://forum.woodenboat.com/showthre...0-Ducker-Resto

I am not sure how you think that this set up is subject to seasonal changes in the same manner of traditional raised panel doors with mortised joints. Over time the joints and especially the panels in exposed areas will open up and water will wick into the joints and especially under the varnish without constant vigilance. YMMV of course,,

IMG_2071.jpg

IMG_2074.jpg
    Final fit and primed with moldings installed. They are also really lightweight while being solid with the short and simple build. And time is running out before we put the boat on the water full time for the summer.
    IMG_2162.jpg
    I have a positive latching system using a slide bolt and will not allow the doors to swing especially in open waters.
    IMG_2119.jpg

While I'm here, do you have a link to that nice little cabin boat you built a few years back? I can't seem to find it.
    In the previous reboot of Photobucket long ago, my pictures went missing. So with a combination of abusive behavior at that time from a couple of loud mouth stalkers, I also deleted my build threads here.
    Happy trails to you.

I don't think you're going to have any problems at all with that construction method, but I do wonder why there is no rail below the upper panel.

Got any glue on your screw gun?

Are you carpeting the cabin? That would be decadent you know.

Loudmouth stalkers eh? I just use the ignore function, it works very well. Hundreds of us lost thousands of pictures on Photobucket so we are all butt hurt.

I'm sure your doors are going to be fine, I did not mean to sound like they were going fail, I've just had really good experience with stiles and rails.

Pocket screws are a pretty amazing alternative also, and they can be done in stainless possibly bronze to I'm not sure.
    Last edited by DeniseO30; 06-13-2018 at 10:54 AM.
    Denise, Bristol PA, Oday30, Anchor Yacht Club, On tidal Delaware River. my current project; http://forum.woodenboat.com/showthre...0-Ducker-Resto

The carpet is only there to clean up and protect the glassed deck when using the boat for the initial break in period for the engine. There is no need to do the final finish work until I finish all the vertical areas around the cockpit in particular. We also have been seeing what we may for the extended trip that's coming up with the use of the boat. The unfinished top with a rail was left that way because I wanted to see about how much visibility I had looking back from the helm because trimming out the windows. I did go up with that opening, giving me bigger windows, even though they will not match the portside windows.
    Happy trails to you.

Man,

I feel I feel like I’ve seen this somewhere before... They look just as nice here, Brother.

Peace,
    Emperor Of Active Cats
    (Robert)

Quote Originally Posted by erster View Post
    I am not sure how you think that this set up is subject to seasonal changes in the same manner of traditional raised panel doors with mortised joints. Over time the joints and especially the panels in exposed areas will open up and water will wick into the joints and especially under the varnish without constant vigilance. YMMV of course,,

IMG_2071.jpg

IMG_2074.jpg
    Final fit and primed with moldings installed. They are also really lightweight while being solid with the short and simple build. And time is running out before we put the boat on the water full time for the summer.
    IMG_2162.jpg
    I have a positive latching system using a slide bolt and will not allow the doors to swing especially in open waters.
    IMG_2119.jpg

In the previous reboot of Photobucket long ago, my pictures went missing. So with a combination of abusive behavior at that time from a couple of loud mouth stalkers, I also deleted my build threads here.
    I'm sorry to hear that you had problems with members and with PB. I had the same issue with PB, except they didn't stick to their agreement with me that was made many years ago. I digress though. Another story for another thread.

The doors look great on the boat. Good idea on those latches to keep the swing down.