Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst ... 234 ... LastLast

Thread: Do serious cyclists hate e-bikes?

Default Re: Do serious cyclists hate e-bikes?

Quote Originally Posted by switters View Post
    https://www.treehugger.com/bikes/why...c-cars-do.html

We are starting to see more on the road around here and the numbers will keep going up because we have some good infrastructure relative to US cities.

The city is also trending toward development in the core "town" area without much on street parking. Consciously or not we are going the way of Copenhagen. You can keep your car, but you can't park it here.

E-bikes are gonna be big business.
    I think I'm a pretty serious cyclist, I ride for fun but also do a lot of errands around town on a bike. Until recently e-bikes seemed like they would just be a way to keep riding when my motor gets weak, but they really are a different animal. Boost power is now 2 - 5 times a fit cyclists capability, that opens up a lot of distance and carrying capacity that would usually be done by car.

Quote Originally Posted by Old Dryfoot View Post
    BBS02 and BBSHD are Bafang model revisions. I was wondering if you could switch packs or if you ran it as one big battery.
    I switch packs.

Quote Originally Posted by rgthom View Post
    I think I'm a pretty serious cyclist, I ride for fun but also do a lot of errands around town on a bike. Until recently e-bikes seemed like they would just be a way to keep riding when my motor gets weak, but they really are a different animal. Boost power is now 2 - 5 times a fit cyclists capability, that opens up a lot of distance and carrying capacity that would usually be done by car.
    Exactly. Riding an ebike without the power assist kinda sucks because they are so heavy. I just don't think it makes sense. But approach it as something quite different from a bike, then you start to understand.

I see it as a possible form of transport should I require another brain operation which brings with it a polite request not to drive until the surgeon gives her OK.
    '' You ain't gonna learn what you don't want to know. ''
    Grateful Dead

I would love to hear from someone that has been on one of these. $2680 per, cheaper in bulk.
    https://www.alibaba.com/product-deta...d04165bb3pUEX9

Nosce te ipsum

Looks nice.

Very .
    '' You ain't gonna learn what you don't want to know. ''
    Grateful Dead

It has a front derailleur and 2x11, unlike the add-on units. Similar model on Amazon here.

Seems really cheap to me, even with the added import duty and taxes. At that price, here, you'd be getting a cheap groupset, a small battery, and a hub motor. On an AL bike.
    Nosce te ipsum

I would love to hear from someone that has been on one of these. $2680 per, cheaper in bulk.
    https://www.alibaba.com/product-deta...d04165bb3pUEX9

There are only a few carbon frame makers in the world, really, who,make,the majority of the frames. Think epoxy. Same same with aluminum frame makers and components makers. Of course, there are boutique manufacturers, like my buddy who owns Project 321. He not only makes hubs and wheels, he also invented and patented a new type of freewheel pawl engagement system. He’s serious.

Walking around in the World Trade Center in Taipaei in the late 90s early 00s, we could have built a bike from any number of company stalls. Frames, handlebars, stems, rims, all identical, save the anodize and the labels.

Giant and KHS both make tons of frames what get other stickers. Or did. With company mergers Pepsi probably owns every bike company by now. Or do the Rothschilds own Coke?

Anyway, they cut costs on this bike by using unbranded bars, stem, crankset, wheels, and frame and e-drive system, which are all “house” brand, or generic stuff, and spent all the loot on a decent saddle and good parts where it counts. Shimano gears shifters and brakes, and XT is good stuff.

The fork is a price point fork, and NOT a suspension fork. Don’t go crazy jumping it, but it’ll work fine for casual use.

All in all a pretty decent value.

Says this guy.
    48FFE9AB-4898-42CD-AD85-174138F177C8.jpg
    What? This was, like 5 years ago. I’m totally serious, now.

Peace,
    Emperor Of Bikes

I found this on the roadside. Just need to come with a simple hitch.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by amish rob View Post
    There are only a few carbon frame makers in the world, really, who,make,the majority of the frames. Think epoxy. Same same with aluminum frame makers and components makers. Of course, there are boutique manufacturers, like my buddy who owns Project 321. He not only makes hubs and wheels, he also invented and patented a new type of freewheel pawl engagement system. He’s serious.

Walking around in the World Trade Center in Taipaei in the late 90s early 00s, we could have built a bike from any number of company stalls. Frames, handlebars, stems, rims, all identical, save the anodize and the labels.

Giant and KHS both make tons of frames what get other stickers. Or did. With company mergers Pepsi probably owns every bike company by now. Or do the Rothschilds own Coke?

Anyway, they cut costs on this bike by using unbranded bars, stem, crankset, wheels, and frame and e-drive system, which are all “house” brand, or generic stuff, and spent all the loot on a decent saddle and good parts where it counts. Shimano gears shifters and brakes, and XT is good stuff.

The fork is a price point fork, and NOT a suspension fork. Don’t go crazy jumping it, but it’ll work fine for casual use.

All in all a pretty decent value.

Says this guy.
    48FFE9AB-4898-42CD-AD85-174138F177C8.jpg
    What? This was, like 5 years ago. I’m totally serious, now.

Peace,
    Emperor Of Bikes
    I've noticed this poking around on Alibaba. A dozen different factories will all offer a bike built on the same frame, some with top shelf components, other with names I've never heard of. The bike in the op for example, I can get it built pretty much any way I want, either with those house brand parts, not happening, or items of a known quality.
    Nosce te ipsum

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Y View Post
    I found this on the roadside. Just need to come with a simple hitch.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I need to find a freebie like that to make a kayak trailer.
    Nosce te ipsum

I've noticed this poking around on Alibaba. A dozen different factories will all offer a bike built on the same frame, some with top shelf components, other with names I've never heard of. The bike in the op for example, I can get it built pretty much any way I want, either with those house brand parts, not happening, or items of a known quality.
    Honestly, the difference between a “name band” and “house brand” part is often only the label. Really. 1,987,065,843 stems come off a line, and go down 487 different chutes to become 12 different models for 9 different brands.

I have seen bulk anodize facilities, and seen the same parts get labeled as being Brand X. It’s crazy.

So, this company who actually MAKES the stuff, just decides to make their own version, slightly different. Anyone ever seen Adios shoes in a night market? Bought a Britey (sic) Spears cd? Own any Nuko sneakers?

How about Craftsman power tools?

Were it me, I’d hit a Trek dealer, test ride a few bikes, make some friends, then press for what you want. Independent bike dealers worth their salt will bend over backward to accommodate a good customer, and having service and warranty protection should be part of the deal you get.

You may not have a good bike shop, as almost nobody does. Still. A good one will work with you on price and features.

Oh, and I have a TON of experience with the Trek and my Electra e-bikes. They are top notch. The mountain bikes are SUPER fun with the assist on full power.

Did I mention I also have a buddy with a e-Cat Trike? It’ll do 45mph (yes, Virginia, 45 MILES per hour) on flat ground unassisted. He’s a retired engineer with money. Which, we all know speed=money, right? That’s a powered wheel hub type conversion. With a brushless motor. And 96 volts.

Peace,
    Robert

Robert, are you familiar with any electric cargo bikes?

Quote Originally Posted by LeeG View Post
    Robert, are you familiar with any electric cargo bikes?
    A very short, unladen ride on a Trek Transport. One of the first, it’s a long tail type rear cargo hauler.

Other than that, no experience with cargo bikes, at all. Which I am remiss about. I DID once carry a two drawer filing cabinet twelve blocks through downtown SF in my Timbuktu bag on my bike. The elevator rides were among my most memorable.
    The lady at the desk asked what I was there for. As if people visited regularly carrying filing cabinets on their backs...

Dang. I want a cargo bike.

What are you looking at?

Peace,
    Robert

Quote Originally Posted by amish rob View Post
    A very short, unladen ride on a Trek Transport. One of the first, it’s a long tail type rear cargo hauler.

Other than that, no experience with cargo bikes, at all. Which I am remiss about. I DID once carry a two drawer filing cabinet twelve blocks through downtown SF in my Timbuktu bag on my bike. The elevator rides were among my most memorable.
    The lady at the desk asked what I was there for. As if people visited regularly carrying filing cabinets on their backs...

Dang. I want a cargo bike.

What are you looking at?

Peace,
    Robert
    Larry vs Harry Bullitt. Just looking. I rode a pedal one at Splendid Cycles in Portland and it cracked me up. Best configuration for heavy loads compared to hanging stuff off the rear wheel. I had a Kona long tail for awhile and just didn’t like it. A fully loaded Surly LHT w 26”wheels can carry more weight than I’d every want to ride with and it’s a much better handling bike than a long tail.

Quote Originally Posted by LeeG View Post
    Larry vs Harry Bullitt. Just looking. I rode a pedal one at Splendid Cycles in Portland and it cracked me up. Best configuration for heavy loads compared to hanging stuff off the rear wheel.
    Oh, just SUPER cool. My only advice is to stay away from internally geared hubs. They are notoriously weak under high loads. And, yes, the Alfine is just as susceptible as a Sturmey Archer. Maybe a Rohloff hub would live, but cargo bikes and tandem really up the ante.

Peace,
    Robert

I have ridden a bootlegger, a trike originally designed to carry kegs of beer with a bosch 750w motor. The thing is incredible, designed by Zach Yendra, and has independent front suspension. It is currently configured to take an ALS sufferer on the death ride. they have a special chair he sits in up front so he can experience the bike race, and raise some money.

https://www.bicycling.com/culture/a1...aign=Bicycling

Cool story if you have the time.
    Disbelief in magic can force a poor soul into believing in government and business.
    TOM ROBBINS, Even Cowgirls Get the Blues

We have found that ebikes eat up the chain and rear group set pretty fast. Too much gear changing under load.

We have found that ebikes eat up the chain and rear group set pretty fast. Too much gear changing under load.
    Do you have one of these? www.gearsensor.com
    Nosce te ipsum

I was wondering about that especially matched up with 10-11 spd cassettes.

Badass.

Nosce te ipsum

Do you have one of these? www.gearsensor.com
    No we don't, thank you, we will give that a go.

Badass.

absolutely, needs an insulating blanket.

I see this site has dissapeared. very likely a scam

I don't get it. What is this? Trikes with two wheels forward tend to be heavy to steer. Now he's weighed it down with what looks to be some significant poundage.

There is no rational, logical, or physical description of how free will could exist. It therefore makes no sense to praise or condemn anyone on the grounds they are a free willed self that made one choice but could have chosen something else. There is no evidence that such a situation is possible in our Universe. Demonstrate otherwise and I will be thrilled.

Quote Originally Posted by JimD View Post
    I don't get it. What is this? Trikes with two wheels forward tend to be heavy to steer. Now he's weighed it down with what looks to be some significant poundage.

The “tadpole” style, while not as nimble, maybe, is much more stable than the “delta” configuration. And, pushing weight with a pedal bike is always better than pulling it. Just works better.

Around here, paleta and elotes vendors ride similar bikes, butmthe keg is an insulated box.

Peace,
    Robert

The one i n the picture above steers fine with a keg and was originally made to carry a keg no more than a few blocks. The brewery who wanted the trike will not distribute beer any further than they can deliver by bike, and the delivery area is flat.

The second generation bootlegger has more suspension and articulation in the front end and handles better than any sane person would want to push it.
    Disbelief in magic can force a poor soul into believing in government and business.
    TOM ROBBINS, Even Cowgirls Get the Blues

Quote Originally Posted by switters View Post
    The one i n the picture above ... was originally made to carry a keg no more than a few blocks. ...and the delivery area is flat.

That makes sense. I have my eye on this, but I do worry about cornering at higher speed. There are very few 'tadpole' trikes in production and even the manufacturer of one that I was looking seemed to warn against them due to the steering issues. There is a price to pay for the added stability.

There is no rational, logical, or physical description of how free will could exist. It therefore makes no sense to praise or condemn anyone on the grounds they are a free willed self that made one choice but could have chosen something else. There is no evidence that such a situation is possible in our Universe. Demonstrate otherwise and I will be thrilled.

This one looks interestinghttp://ashlandelectricbikes.com/fat-tire-electric-tadpole-trike/

This one looks interestinghttp://ashlandelectricbikes.com/fat-tire-electric-tadpole-trike/

Yeah, those types are cool. The steering is always a little odd on these types, but the geometry is pretty well worked out.
    Lots of chain on there, too...

I actually kindof like the delta trike better.

Peace,
    Robert

Anyone have any first hand anecdotal expierence with any tadpole designs? A link to a video review of one tadpole by a guy who reviews a lot of these including a review of the (delta config) trike I am considering https://electricbikereview.com/es/su...lectric-trike/
    Last edited by JimD; 06-13-2018 at 11:55 AM.

Anyone have any first hand anecdotal expierence with any tadpole designs?
    Yep. Mostly Cat Trike, but I’ve touched mostly every kind of trike on the market, including electric assist, suspended, fat tire, off-road trikes.

Peace,
    Robert

Oh, and a 700c rear wheeled road trike that will it 45mph on flat ground, unassisted, and has a potential 200 mile assist range...