Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Do serious cyclists hate e-bikes?

Default Re: Do serious cyclists hate e-bikes?

Maybe get the kit and have a bike shop fit it to a frame you like.

If I need another brain op I won't be allowed to drive for from 8 to 12 months so should that occur I'll be looking for an Ebike.
    '' You ain't gonna learn what you don't want to know. ''
    Grateful Dead

Quote Originally Posted by epoxyboy View Post
    If they are anything like ones on my bikes (budget Rockshox fork on the hardtail, mid range Fox both ends on the other) even fully locked out, they still allow a very small amount of travel under normal conditions, and full travel if you hit something really hard. Hill climbing the fs bike with the suspension locked out, there is hardly any bounce at the back end.
    I don't know how long things in the back end would last, if you did something extreme like replacing the rear shock with a solid bit to totally lock it up.

Pete
    If things work as advertised, and the lock out does keep the rear fairly solid going up hills, I'll be happy. I had always intended to have a suspension fork up front anyway as our roads are not the greatest.

Who knows, I was crazy for trail riding when I was younger, maybe having the means will get me back out there. If that happens having a fs bike might not be a bad thing.
    Nosce te ipsum

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Y View Post
    Maybe get the kit and have a bike shop fit it to a frame you like.
    I'm still considering this, but I really do like the purpose built frames that include a socket of sorts to hold the battery pack.
    Nosce te ipsum

Here is hilly SoCal there are lots of e-bikes. There are even e-bike stores all over the place. There are road bikes like the OP but more beach cruisers with huge fat tires. I have to say after hitting some of the hills around here I can see the attraction.
    This post is temporary and my disappear at the discretion of the managment

We have what seems like a new e-bike shop opening every other week around here. And they all want to sell $10,000 machines, or outdated crap that is not worth owning. If I had a big pile of capital laying around, I'd have a go at opening a LBS that focused on e-bikes.
    Last edited by Old Dryfoot; 06-02-2018 at 12:33 PM.
    Nosce te ipsum

Poached from the Endless Sphere (forum) thread on this bike.

How to make the dog tired and the cat jealous.
    Nosce te ipsum

Quote Originally Posted by Old Dryfoot View Post
    I'm still considering this, but I really do like the purpose built frames that include a socket of sorts to hold the battery pack.
    That Frey one in the OP, if that's what you are referring to, doesn't look particularly well integrated. I'll post pics of our bikes later. My wife's and sons batteries are very well integrated. Mine looks more like the Frey. The main battery locks onto a bracket, which is zip tied to the frame. It works. I've added a second battery to the rear carrier, it's not at all integrated! But it works too. Got mine complete, used, for $700. My wife's was about $3000 and my sons about $4000.

This might give a clear idea of what mean by "socket." I know I've see some photos that show greater detail, but I can't find them now.

The battery is fit in from the left side of the bike where it first engages a dog at the bottom of the tube and is then secured at the top by a keyed lock.

This shows it from the left, that is a 21ah battery, the smaller battery packs are flush with the side of the tube.

Nosce te ipsum

Quote Originally Posted by Joe (SoCal) View Post
    Here is hilly SoCal there are lots of e-bikes. There are even e-bike stores all over the place. There are road bikes like the OP but more beach cruisers with huge fat tires. I have to say after hitting some of the hills around here I can see the attraction.
    The best application I can think of is a utility bike with load so you can go up a hill at ten mph instead of five. Every time I think of it for a daily rider the numbers just donít add up.

Isnít the simplicity of a bike enough?

Found one.

These are actually an off the shelf solution, not made by Frey, they are a Reention, Dorado battery pack, available from several retailers.

Last edited by Old Dryfoot; 06-02-2018 at 05:25 PM.
    Nosce te ipsum

Yeah that's nicely done.

Quote Originally Posted by LeeG View Post
    The best application I can think of is a utility bike with load so you can go up a hill at ten mph instead of five. Every time I think of it for a daily rider the numbers just don’t add up.

Isn’t the simplicity of a bike enough?
    What numbers? I don't see the attraction of those ultra fat wheeled road cruiser bike things. Just Californian styling gone nuts I reckon. But decent ebikes, whether road or off road design, are great for everyday riding.

What numbers? I don't see the attraction of those ultra fat wheeled road cruiser bike things. Just Californian styling gone nuts I reckon. But decent ebikes, whether road or off road design, are great for everyday riding.
    the money and weight.

Cargo bikes on their own are wickedly expensive, a midtail Salsa Blackborow frameset is $1800 USD! Even a Yuba Mundo frame is $1000. . .
    Nosce te ipsum

For my commuter, this Giant Quick-E Plus has possibilities:

500 W assist, 36 V 13.8 Ah Li-ion battery, 28 mph top assist speed, fenders. About 50 lb and $3k. My current work commute by car costs about $2k in gas alone.

Quote Originally Posted by rgthom View Post
    For my commuter, this Giant Quick-E Plus has possibilities:

500 W assist, 36 V 13.8 Ah Li-ion battery, 28 mph top assist speed, fenders. About 50 lb and $3k. My current work commute by car costs about $2k in gas alone.
    I looked at one of these at our local Giant dealer, very nice! Not for me, but very nice.
    Nosce te ipsum

Quote Originally Posted by LeeG View Post
    the money and weight.

Compared to what? What else lets you ride in reasonably hilly country without needing to be ultra fit but still gives you a decent workout? It's not the same as a non powered bike and it's not the same as a motorbike. I don't enjoy riding a normal bike where I live but I love riding an ebike. My son couldn't readily ride a normal bike to school every day but he's very happy to ride an ebike. For me those numbers stack up just fine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Oh, and I hate Vespas and those other things with ahhh, mopeds. There was a time, a whole lot of years ago, I was riding to Baggio's in Montreal, fair hill along the way, smoked a Vespa. It was probably old and tired, and laden down with who knows what, but that's beside the point.
    "Congress doesn't regulate Wall Street, Wall Street regulates Congress."

MAKE WAY! MAKE WAY! "I have heard of some kind of men that put quarrels purposely on others."

As a general rule, the better it felt when you said it, the more trouble it's going to get you into.

International Financial Conspirator, Collaborator, Gun Runner, Ace Philosopher-King and all-around smartie pants

Quote Originally Posted by Ed Harrow View Post
    Oh, and I hate Vespas and those other things with ahhh, mopeds. There was a time, a whole lot of years ago, I was riding to Baggio's in Montreal, fair hill along the way, smoked a Vespa. It was probably old and tired, and laden down with who knows what, but that's beside the point.
    I used to have 1984 Olympic 25 mi TT time, and there is no way I couldn't keep up with my 150 cc Vespa. It does close to 60 mph even up a hill with two riders on

I found a hardtail. Same drive unit and battery mount I'm after, but it's a fat bike. It comes with a cheaper groupset and fork too.
    It works out to be about about half the price of the Frey, which I can customize.

Nosce te ipsum

Do you get pedals with it, or just stick a bolt through your ankle? It's not so elegant. For the price I'd probably sooner go a good quality standard bike and slap a Bafang kit on it.

Quote Originally Posted by Old Dryfoot View Post
    I found a hardtail. Same drive unit and battery mount I'm after, but it's a fat bike. It comes with a cheaper groupset and fork too.
    It works out to be about about half the price of the Frey, which I can customize.
    I hate fat bikes !!
    '' You ain't gonna learn what you don't want to know. ''
    Grateful Dead

Oh, and I hate Vespas and those other things with ahhh, mopeds.
    I had a Motobecane Mobyletee in the 70's. That was the sheet. Wish I still had it.

Kevin
    There are two kinds of boaters: those who have run aground, and those who lie about it.

Quote Originally Posted by Breakaway View Post
    I had a Motobecane Mobyletee in the 70's. That was the sheet. Wish I still had it.

Kevin
    I had a Puch

Wife's bike

Sons bike

My bike

All good.

My bike

All good.

Now that you guys have me doing some research, these Bafang add-on kits are looking good. I can put a 500 or 750 W unit on my old hard tail for much less than a new Giant.

Question for Phil - Do you replace the original chainrings with just a single chainring, and lose the front derailleur?

Quote Originally Posted by rgthom View Post
    Now that you guys have me doing some research, these Bafang add-on kits are looking good. I can put a 500 or 750 W unit on my old hard tail for much less than a new Giant.

Question for Phil - Do you replace the original chainrings with just a single chainring, and lose the front derailleur?
    Yes, single front chain ring comes with the kit.

Phil, looking good. I do like the Giant, if I could get it in 48v I'd be considering one.Did you use a BBS02 or an HD for your conversion? And that Haibike for a $100, gotta be a scam, there is a used one for sale locally right now for $4800. They ain't cheap!

rgthom, it's pretty common to use just a single chainring and a wide ratio cassette in the rear. While I've read about people using a x2, I don't think I've seen anyone do it, or even know if it's possible with a mid drive from Bafang.
    Nosce te ipsum

OK, single chainring and wide range cassette makes sense. You don't need the low gears with all that boost (unless the battery runs out, probably why Phil has 2 banks...).

Another question for those who have done this - the kits come with replacement brake levers that have motor cut-off switches. The levers are for cable brakes, my bike has hydraulics. Is there a way to use the existing hydraulic brakes, or do I need to replace them?

California voters just passed a measure that will raise MY daily commute bridge toll in order to pay for THEIR road improvements ('cause we can't raise gas taxes, the fair way to tax all road users). My yearly toll will go to over $2000 for a car, but an e-bike can use the free bike lane. The payoff for an e-bike is getting pretty short....

Cut offs are available for hydrualic brakes. Either as a replacement lever, or as a magnetic switch which is installed on your current lever.
    Nosce te ipsum

https://www.treehugger.com/bikes/why...c-cars-do.html

We are starting to see more on the road around here and the numbers will keep going up because we have some good infrastructure relative to US cities.

The city is also trending toward development in the core "town" area without much on street parking. Consciously or not we are going the way of Copenhagen. You can keep your car, but you can't park it here.

E-bikes are gonna be big business.
    Disbelief in magic can force a poor soul into believing in government and business.
    TOM ROBBINS, Even Cowgirls Get the Blues

Ahhh I don't know what a bbs or HD is. I bought my whole setup used from a friend for $700. I have 2 batteries mainly because I bought the bike interstate and flew it home and had to wait for the battery to come by surface. But I fiddled the wiring so I can switch between them for more range.

BBS02 and BBSHD are Bafang model revisions. I was wondering if you could switch packs or if you ran it as one big battery.
    Nosce te ipsum