Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 345 ... LastLast

Thread: Do serious cyclists hate e-bikes?

Default Re: Do serious cyclists hate e-bikes?

Oh! Yes, please! So cool!

Peace,
    Excited! Can You Tell?!

One of these would be just about right for me, apart from the roughly $10K pricetag

https://organictransit.com/

There is no rational, logical, or physical description of how free will could exist. It therefore makes no sense to praise or condemn anyone on the grounds they are a free willed self that made one choice but could have chosen something else. There is no evidence that such a situation is possible in our Universe. Demonstrate otherwise and I will be thrilled.

Quote Originally Posted by amish rob View Post
    Oh! Yes, please! So cool!

Peace,
    Excited! Can You Tell?!
    Also have thought of buying a cheaper tadpole trike like this one and making a custom faring/cabin thingy with 3 mil occume or strip plank. Would be a fun project and could save about $5K, too.

Last edited by JimD; 06-13-2018 at 12:32 PM.
    There is no rational, logical, or physical description of how free will could exist. It therefore makes no sense to praise or condemn anyone on the grounds they are a free willed self that made one choice but could have chosen something else. There is no evidence that such a situation is possible in our Universe. Demonstrate otherwise and I will be thrilled.

Quote Originally Posted by JimD View Post
    Also have thought of buying a cheaper tadpole trike like this one

and making a custom faring/cabin thingy with 3 mil occume or strip plank. Would be a fun project and could save about $5K, too.
    I think you mean small fairing and a folding top, like a Bimini.

I honestly think thatís a great idea. I might even consider glassed foam. Light glass on both sides of thickish foam would light and strong make...

Peace,
    Robert

Quote Originally Posted by amish rob View Post
    I think you mean small fairing and a folding top, like a Bimini.

I honestly think that’s a great idea. I might even consider glassed foam. Light glass on both sides of thickish foam would light and strong make...

Peace,
    Robert
    Yes, that too. Just enough to deflect a cool wind and light rain. I wouldn't use it in our really crappy PNW winter weather.
    Last edited by JimD; 06-13-2018 at 12:51 PM.

And from the Ripley's Believe it or Not department, the ELF comes in a tactical version:

Organic Transit’s Tactical ELF gives you the advantage for community policing, events management, corporate and academic campus maintenance and grounds, and any situation where you need all-day performance! With heavy payload capabilities, comfort, visibility and more, the Tactical ELF is a great resource. The Tactical ELF is available in both the SOLO and 2FR models.

Wonder if a gun rack is standard or optional ?

Quote Originally Posted by JimD View Post
    Anyone have any first hand anecdotal expierence with any tadpole designs? A link to a video review of one tadpole by a guy who reviews a lot of these including a review of the (delta config) trike I am considering https://electricbikereview.com/es/su...lectric-trike/
    In non electric, we are involved in a race series, first round for this year is this weekend, where the vehicles are all tadpole trikes. Steering is actually very light on most of them. I wouldn't use them on a public road. You'd be close to invisible, and have very limited rear vision from the riding position. They are quite highly evolved now, very well engineered, light and streamlined. Bodies are corflute, fibreglass or carbon fibre. Metal frames. It's mostly a schools team event, but it has an open category. The high end bikes are around $10,000 Aussie. I'll get some pictures on Sunday.

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Y View Post
    In non electric, we are involved in a race series, first round for this year is this weekend, where the vehicles are all tadpole trikes. Steering is actually very light on most of them. I wouldn't use them on a public road. You'd be close to invisible, and have very limited rear vision from the riding position. They are quite highly evolved now, very well engineered, light and streamlined. Bodies are corflute, fibreglass or carbon fibre. Metal frames. It's mostly a schools team event, but it has an open category. The high end bikes are around $10,000 Aussie. I'll get some pictures on Sunday.
    Looking forward to the pics. Good news about the steering.

I've ridden a commercially available Greenspeed trike, a lovely bit of engineering but there's no way I'd ride one on the road, it was just invisible.But with the right roads or bike path it would be great and great as an Etrike.
    '' You ain't gonna learn what you don't want to know. ''
    Grateful Dead

Grateful Dead

Quote Originally Posted by PeterSibley View Post
    I've ridden a commercially available Greenspeed trike, a lovely bit of engineering but there's no way I'd ride one on the road, it was just invisible.But with the right roads or bike path it would be great and great as an Etrike.
    they just had the MS city to shore ride last weekend. I saw a couple of trikes like that, probably cattrikes, your head is at exactly bumper level and all you see when one comes at you are madly peddling feet. They look fun, but I would never ride one on the road either
    "If you think you are too small to make a difference, try sleeping with a mosquito"

-Dalai Lama

What if you flew a few flags on them?

Perhaps....with lots of flashing LEDs on them.

I recently sold an HPV recumbent because it seemed invisible and just got scared ! There's nothing like a Landcruiser driver not seeing you to inspire terror. I should have had masts and more LEDs on it , it would have helped. It was great to ride !

HP Velotechnik Streetmachine GTe recumbent bike.jpg
    Grateful Dead

I know a guy who rides a 2 wheel recumbent several hundred miles a week from April through November in Vermont. He has a flag & a strobe at the top for night riding. While VT may be better than some places, he says he's never had any more problems than he did when he was riding a standard bike.
    "If it ain't broke, you're not trying." - Red Green

I recommend the HPV, beautifully made and I liked the underseat steering too.
    Grateful Dead

I have two tadpole trikes, an ICE Sprint light-touring trike and an ICE VTX, souped-up road trike. My wife rides an ICE Adventure.

http://www.icetrikes.co/

I absolutely love riding them, but there really is no way I want to ride them in serious traffic. Luckily, we have good trails in town, where I can go out riding for fun and do about a twelve mile loop and only need to cross two small streets. When we go to our place up in northern Wisconsin, we have 53 miles of gorgeous paved bike trails through the woods a few miles away. We also often do a late night cruise through our neighborhood in Madison around midnight and end up doing about six miles. There is hardly ever any traffic that late and I have the trikes lit up like something out of Close Encounters - just to be sure.

The Sprint and Adventure folded and stuck in the Yakima basket on top of the Ridgeline.

folded.jpg

The VTX on rollers in my office during winter

vtx6.jpg

My Sprint on a trail up north

k2.jpg

When we get old(er) and slower, we'll add the Shimano Steps electric drives to them.
    Attached Images Attached Images

There are certainly some e-trikes that deserve consideration - depending on one's needs.

https://electrek.co/2018/06/08/e-bik...cumbent-trike/
    Life is complex.

I would love an electric tadpole, but as mentioned, there is no way I would want to ride one in heavy traffic.

I do wonder though, with a leaning tadpole on 26" wheels, if you were to move the rider so that they were in between the front and rear axles, and seated at or slightly above axle level in a more upright and visible position, how much of the advantage of being on a trike would be lost?
    Nosce te ipsum

I think stuff like the ELF is the future, as far as transportation cycles go. With the addition of a CTT type drive, which could eliminate the need to straddle the drivetrain and provide pedals and a pedaling motion more adaptable to more types of clothing and footwear, something like that could work very well.

There was a pedicar many moons ago, but old tech and no electric motor doomed it.

Imagine, though, a composite bodied two seat electric/pedal car. What a great deal for urban drivers. Walk to work while driving a car.

Anyway.

Peace,
    Robert

I built an atomic zombie warrior tadpole several years ago. It is fitted with a 1000 watt Dillenger electric hub. It drives fine and with flags on it I have only been endangered once by an inconsiderate driver.
    The best helping hand you will ever receive is the one at the end of your own arm.

Very helpful info. I will hold out for a tadpole type pedal electric, or possibly full electric, and likely ELFish, that is, enclosed with some protection from the weather.

Unless you are doing all your riding on the nice safe trails Todd has, I just can't see much market for these trikes. On most roads they really force you out into the traffic lanes. In my local riding, I have to weave through cars, share narrow bike lanes, or share bike paths with strollers and roller blades. There are times when hopping a curb onto the sidewalk is the safest. How does a trike manage potholes and road debris? You can't bunny hop those things. Makes me think of Can-Ams, not a motorcycle and not a car, they are the worst of both.

Quote Originally Posted by rgthom View Post
    Unless you are doing all your riding on the nice safe trails Todd has, I just can't see much market for these trikes. On most roads they really force you out into the traffic lanes. In my local riding, I have to weave through cars, share narrow bike lanes, or share bike paths with strollers and roller blades. There are times when hopping a curb onto the sidewalk is the safest. How does a trike manage potholes and road debris? You can't bunny hop those things. Makes me think of Can-Ams, not a motorcycle and not a car, they are the worst of both.
    Can-Ams?
    Like a McLaren M6A?

Yes please!

I live in the burbs of a small town, near it's edge. Wide paved roads, light traffic, and all my destinations are the local scenic haunts of quiet bays and even smaller towns and villages. With bright safely flags and due caution I wouldn't worry about getting run over. Fat tires might be nice for trails. Road test video here:

https://www.electrictrike.com/produc...electric-trike

Question: hub motor or mid-drive? This is for my mountain bike conversion to 30 mile road commuter. I was planning to get the Bafang BBSHD mid-drive kit, but why not this hub motor: https://lunacycle.com/mac-motor-asi-...mance-hub-kit/

1700 W continuous from a sub-10 lb motor, 30 mph. It's probably not really legal, but stealthy to install if the battery goes in a pack on the rack. Hub motor saves wear on the drivetrain.

Question: hub motor or mid-drive? This is for my mountain bike conversion to 30 mile road commuter. I was planning to get the Bafang BBSHD mid-drive kit, but why not this hub motor: https://lunacycle.com/mac-motor-asi-...mance-hub-kit/

1700 W continuous from a sub-10 lb motor, 30 mph. It's probably not really legal, but stealthy to install if the battery goes in a pack on the rack. Hub motor saves wear on the drivetrain.
    Oooh...

Peace,
    Robert

Does "Oooh" mean go with the hub motor?

Using a mid drive allows the motor to spend more time operating are a higher, more efficient rpm. This is going to extend your battery life and range. If you have long or steep hills in your area you'll want those gears too I suspect.
    Nosce te ipsum

Does "Oooh" mean go with the hub motor?
    Pluses and minuses, but I like the hub motors. Especially for conversions. Plus, you could build a twist lace wheel, and it would look awesome!
    The best part of a hub drive is you can swap it out easily (with a different wheel) for normal pedaling.

Peace,
    Robert.

Always tradeoffs.... The hub motor is available wound for speed or torque, I'd want speed for most of the ride. It would be less efficient starting and stopping, but saves on the drivetrain wear. Still thinking this over thanks for the advice.

1700 watts. Wow! Doesn't matter whether that's hub or mid, you'll just need really big batteries! 200 watts is the legal limit here. My mid drive is 750. I find myself changing gears a lot, which is OK once you are used to it. Wear on the drive train is an issue. My son has done 4000 km so far this year and has had to replace his chain and rear group set once. One of those devices which cuts power when you go to change gear should solve a lot of that. I'd go mid drive for efficiency.

Quote Originally Posted by Iceboy View Post
    I built an atomic zombie warrior tadpole several years ago. It is fitted with a 1000 watt Dillenger electric hub. It drives fine and with flags on it I have only been endangered once by an inconsiderate driver.
    What is an atomic warrior zombie tadpole?

1700 watts. Wow! Doesn't matter whether that's hub or mid, you'll just need really big batteries! 200 watts is the legal limit here. My mid drive is 750. I find myself changing gears a lot, which is OK once you are used to it. Wear on the drive train is an issue. My son has done 4000 km so far this year and has had to replace his chain and rear group set once. One of those devices which cuts power when you go to change gear should solve a lot of that. I'd go mid drive for efficiency.
    sounds like you need to shift it similar to a manual car.. power off, shift, power on
    "If you think you are too small to make a difference, try sleeping with a mosquito"

-Dalai Lama

What is an atomic warrior zombie tadpole?
    Yeah, I wondered what that was too. Apparently a lean fast home built trike: http://www.atomiczombie.com/Warrior%...g%20Trike.aspx

looks like fun.

Extreme velomobile triking. These guys are crazy and it is not surprising that the sides of their shells get all scratched up, but it makes for an entertaining video. Unfortunate name though......