Page 1 of 6 12 ... LastLast

Thread: Do serious cyclists hate e-bikes?

Default Do serious cyclists hate e-bikes?

A fun little video I found in my ongoing search for the right e-bike.

As for that e-bike, I think I've found it. But it's a factory order from China.

It's a pretty sweet ride. It uses a Bafang torque sensing mid drive that runs 500w, 750w, or 1000w programing with 5 assist levels and a throttle option. Battery options from 11.4ah up to 21ah, and they are using Samsung and LG cells in these too.

My only gripe, it's not a hardtail. I'm not looking for an off-road bike and racks on a fs mtb are a pain.
    Nosce te ipsum

Default Re: Do serious cyclists hate e-bikes?

I think for your average commuter, they are a great thing. While there are not too many hills in the area, nobody wants to see somebody keel over after climbing one, the little electric motor is great for that
    "Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of Strength"

-Edmund Burke

There is a segment of serious cyclists who hate everything. Not surprising they look down on E bikes.
    Elect a clown expect a circus

Bobcat nailed it. I remember, on a huge ride on Bainbridge Island (Chilly Hilly), the so-called serious riders were commenting snarkily about folks on bikes that had three chain rings.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Bow View Post
    Bobcat nailed it. I remember, on a huge ride on Bainbridge Island (Chilly Hilly), the so-called serious riders were commenting snarkily about folks on bikes that had three chain rings.
    There is no activity known that someone, some insecure little person, cannot turn into a pissing contest
    Elect a clown expect a circus

Quote Originally Posted by Old Dryfoot View Post
    It's a pretty sweet ride. It uses a Bafang torque sensing mid drive that runs 500w, 750w, or 1000w programing with 5 assist levels and a throttle option.
    Good grief - 250 W pedal assist is an e-bike, that thing is an electric motorcycle!

At this point I resent e-bikes a little, when they pass me on a hill, but am anticipating getting a really nice one when the time comes (10 years or so).

Quote Originally Posted by Art Haberland View Post
    I think for your average commuter, they are a great thing. While there are not too many hills in the area, nobody wants to see somebody keel over after climbing one, the little electric motor is great for that
    No question about it being a great commuter, but still, being passed by a fat, out of shape dude doing 20mph on an e-bike has got to be irritating.
    Nosce te ipsum

Quote Originally Posted by Bobcat View Post
    There is no activity known that someone, some insecure little person, cannot turn into a pissing contest
    Pick a thread, any thread. . .
    Nosce te ipsum

Quote Originally Posted by rgthom View Post
    Good grief - 250 W pedal assist is an e-bike, that thing is an electric motorcycle!

At this point I resent e-bikes a little, when they pass me on a hill, but am anticipating getting a really nice one when the time comes (10 years or so).
    I want it for the hills, we have a lot of hills here. . . yeah, hills. That's it.

Oh, I also have a hair brained idea that I might try pulling my kayak with it.
    Nosce te ipsum

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Bow View Post
    A fast cyclist on a three chain ring bike is absolutely unstoppable when riding a road bike.

-Edmund Burke

Quote Originally Posted by Art Haberland View Post
    A fast cyclist on a three chain ring bike is absolutely unstoppable when riding a road bike.
    Is this a good thing, or a bad thing?
    Nosce te ipsum

There is a segment of serious cyclists who hate everything. Not surprising they look down on E bikes.
    Are you serious?

Quote Originally Posted by rgthom View Post

no kidding, but like other high output devices available charge falls off fast with high loads.

No question about it being a great commuter, but still, being passed by a fat, out of shape dude doing 20mph on an e-bike has got to be irritating.
    not at all, just like when big fit young women fly by me up hill I am pleased.

... Not surprising they look down on E bikes.
    E-bikesDSC_0041.jpg suck!
    "Congress doesn't regulate Wall Street, Wall Street regulates Congress."

MAKE WAY! MAKE WAY! "I have heard of some kind of men that put quarrels purposely on others."

As a general rule, the better it felt when you said it, the more trouble it's going to get you into.

International Financial Conspirator, Collaborator, Gun Runner, Ace Philosopher-King and all-around smartie pants

^ doesn't that photo belong on this thread Are you a 'Mamil' ? ?
    Skip

---This post is delivered with righteous passion and with a solemn southern directness --
    ...........fighting against the deliberate polarization of politics...

That Harrow guy even has muscles on his SHINS!
    The best statement I've seen from this latest carnage came from a student who lived through it -

"My generation will not allow this to continue!"

Remember voting age is 18. Read it and weep reds.

Including each other. Arrogant jerks.

Please understand I'm talking hard core racers - not recreational.
    "If it ain't broke, you're not trying." - Red Green

South Puget Sound/summer Eastern carib./winter

Those E bike dudes wear those plastic mangina suits?
    If not, then I'm all for em!

A fun little video I found in my ongoing search for the right e-bike.

As for that e-bike, I think I've found it. But it's a factory order from China.

It's a pretty sweet ride. It uses a Bafang torque sensing mid drive that runs 500w, 750w, or 1000w programing with 5 assist levels and a throttle option. Battery options from 11.4ah up to 21ah, and they are using Samsung and LG cells in these too.

My only gripe, it's not a hardtail. I'm not looking for an off-road bike and racks on a fs mtb are a pain.
    Your bike wants and needs seem conflicted, young man! For somebody "Not looking for an off-road bike", you're paying for an awful lot of off-road stuff there. I think it looks great though, and having just hauled my carcass and meat powered fs mtb up a 300m vertical climb, I could easily be persuaded!

Pete
    Don't underestimate the power of stupid people in large numbers!

My ego is not that fragile. If i caught up with the rider, i would be full of questions, not envy and hate

-Edmund Burke

Quote Originally Posted by Ed Harrow View Post
    E-bikesDSC_0041.jpg suck!
    Ed we belonged to the same team CRC of A ( Century Road Club of America )

This post is temporary and my disappear at the discretion of the managment

First a question/comment. Who cares? And why put "serious" cyclists on some sort of pedestal, as though people who ride ebikes are not serious? If you want and enjoy an ebike, get one and ride it. Doesn't matter what other cyclists think.

Second, ebikes are great. We live in a hilly rural area. It's pretty much no fun at best, and impossible at worst, to ride a normal bike around here unless you are super fit. We aren't. My wife decided to get an ebike. So then I did, and we got one for my 16yo son. He uses his most. He does a 50km round trip to school and back every day. He's done 4000km since the starting the year. He rides a dirt single track through a national,park some of the way, so his is an off road bike. Giant brand. It's a pretty amazing ride. My wife's is a Giant ladies road bike. Same drive technology. Variable assist settings. Power delivery is matched to your pedal pressure. Both are 200 watts which is the legal limit here for road use. I have a Bafang kit on a normal mountain bike. Mine is 750 watts. It's much less sophisticated, a range of power settings, but it's power delivery within a setting is digital. On or off. I added an extra battery on the rear carrier to get similar range to the Giant bikes.

Without ebikes, we just wouldn't ride. It's too hard. With them, it's a whole new world. And they require plenty of physical input, so good excercise.

I have a 30 mile commute to work, mostly freeway takes 30-40 minutes. By bike off the freeway is 33 miles, 1700 feet of climb. I sometimes get dropped off at work with the bike and ride it home (about 3 hours), but cannot do that every day and really could not manage both ways by bike regularly. If an e-bike would make my commute possible, at say 1.5 hours each way, I could really justify one. It would have to be able to do ~25 mph steady speed on the open roads. I've not tested any e-bike yet, are there models good enough for that commute?

Pretty much what my son does. But a bit longer. Ebikes here are limited so that the motor cuts out at 25km/h. You can override that on most of them. You might need to recharge at work. His bike goes to school and back with plenty left over.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe (SoCal) View Post

love that pic Joe, yr legs had a lot more miles than yr face at that age. I’ve been on a few wheels when I was very fit and would wonder where that power came from as I was dragged over mile after mile sucking their rear wheel. Took me places I could never get on my own.

Quote Originally Posted by SKIP KILPATRICK View Post
    ^ doesn't that photo belong on this thread Are you a 'Mamil' ? ?
    Not Lycra. All wool. Really nice stuff by Lutz. Lovely. When the shirts didn't have names across the front there were two handy dandy pockets. And the back pockets - deep. One could lose things in them. Pockets on today's barely hold a cellphone. And no front pockets.

And those who ride plastic bikes - they suck too. Rude to us old duffers on our 'real' steel bikes with analog derailleurs.

MAKE WAY! MAKE WAY! "I have heard of some kind of men that put quarrels purposely on others."

As a general rule, the better it felt when you said it, the more trouble it's going to get you into.

International Financial Conspirator, Collaborator, Gun Runner, Ace Philosopher-King and all-around smartie pants

Quote Originally Posted by John of Phoenix View Post
    That Harrow guy even has muscles on his SHINS!
    Not exactly - I'd share the Xray, but the one I have is the other leg, I think.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe (SoCal) View Post
    LOL, That was a long time ago... The older I get, the faster I was.

Quote Originally Posted by LeeG View Post
    ...I’ve been on a few wheels when I was very fit and would wonder where that power came from as I was dragged over mile after mile sucking their rear wheel. Took me places I could never get on my own.
    The young bucks on their plastic fantastic (Frozen Snot?) bikes don't like us old duffers on our real, steel bikes with analog derailleurs. Caught up to one this week; said 'Hi', gads was he surprised. I didn't sit on his wheel, but was able to keep up for maybe half a mile, then there was this long, long, grade, and with nary a wave good by, he turned up the wick.

I've a bet coming due this Summer - George St in Worcester. If you don't know it, think of Led Zeppelin's Stairway to Heaven. I told this 50 year-old I am gonna whip his butt. Have to keep working on those hills...

Quote Originally Posted by epoxyboy View Post
    Your bike wants and needs seem conflicted, young man! For somebody "Not looking for an off-road bike", you're paying for an awful lot of off-road stuff there. I think it looks great though, and having just hauled my carcass and meat powered fs mtb up a 300m vertical climb, I could easily be persuaded!

Pete
    I know. What I'm really after is the mid drive that they use, and I really like the built in battery, everything else is negotiable. They do build to order though, so who knows, maybe they can do a hardtail.

The drive unit is a Bafang G510 and it kicks butt on every other mid drive unit sold. Yamaha, Bosch, Shimano, they all suck (imo) compared to this one. A mounting plate is offered and the drive is sold as a kit, and if I had the tools and skill, I'd build my own bike around it, but alas. . . I do not.
    Nosce te ipsum

It ought be pretty straightforward to 'bind up' that rear suspension.

Quote Originally Posted by Ed Harrow View Post
    It ought be pretty straightforward to 'bind up' that rear suspension.
    Both the front and rear, Rockshok Yari and Monarch, come with lock outs. I've no idea how well they work though.
    Nosce te ipsum

Quote Originally Posted by Garret View Post
    Including each other. Arrogant jerks.

Please understand I'm talking hard core racers - not recreational.
    Around here in Australia, the hard core racers tend to be friendly. The egoes that could get overbearing if guys are riding in a little group to the coffee shop tend to get cut down when people are racing against national masters champions or real pros. And in the sports I do, the best guys respect their opponents - respecting others enough to learn from them is one thing that makes a champion IMHO.

As one example, lots of cyclists are known to be gearheads - but at our local masters track group the most popular bike is an alloy one that costs about $1000. I started racing on an entry level bike (the good bits were Sora, which was the 2nd lowest road component set) and no one ever had a single bad word to say about the bike. Same thing with the old time trial bike I had.

The best guy in my age group at my old club had two world titles and two world records, and he was perfectly friendly, as was the men's Oceanic road champ who sometimes rode with us. I recently changed towns and one day I met up with an older chap who invited me for a group ride. They've been very friendly, including the guy who has 16 (yep, 16) national masters championship wins to his credit.

The USA does seem to have a very different racing scene, where people form teams and race in events run by promoters. In other countries, and certainly here, most of the racing is by individuals in local clubs. Maybe that makes a difference in the attitudes?
    Last edited by Chris249; 06-02-2018 at 12:34 AM.
    Has BigFella and SkyBlue on ignore.

Both the front and rear, Rockshok Yari and Monarch, come with lock outs. I've no idea how well they work though.
    If they are anything like ones on my bikes (budget Rockshox fork on the hardtail, mid range Fox both ends on the other) even fully locked out, they still allow a very small amount of travel under normal conditions, and full travel if you hit something really hard. Hill climbing the fs bike with the suspension locked out, there is hardly any bounce at the back end.
    I don't know how long things in the back end would last, if you did something extreme like replacing the rear shock with a solid bit to totally lock it up.

Pete
    Don't underestimate the power of stupid people in large numbers!