Thread: Recommended sub-$100 VHF handheld for open boats?

Default Recommended sub-$100 VHF handheld for open boats?

Wondering what folks here recommend for a handheld waterproof radio? Would be primarily for emergency use in SF Bay, inland waters and possibly the Salish Sea. Is the price jump from 5w->7w+ worth it? The big-name products look very similar feature-wise.
    Thanks!
    "The enemies of reason have a certain blind look."
    Doctor Jacquin to Lieutenant D'Hubert, in Ridley Scott's first major film _The Duellists_.

Default Re: Recommended sub-$100 VHF handheld for open boats?

Get a unit that floats: worth paying more for IMO. Also, compare the estimated standby / transmit/ receive times, which you can find in the specs. Finally, when a speaker gets wet, the audio gets garbled. It's hard to be rescued when you can't understand potential rescuers. One of those ICOM ( or any radio) radios with the "quake" feature that automatically vibrates the speaker dry so calls are audible if the speaker is wet.

5W v 7W: you won't get more range; it will allow you to punch through other traffic better, but Channel 16 should be reasonably clear of traffic anyway. I would not prioritize this feature, personally.

Kevin
    There are two kinds of boaters: those who have run aground, and those who lie about it.

I have an Icom my wife bought for me about 20 years ago. The battery still holds a charge! In fact it holds a charge for years. If only rechargeable power tools had such a battery my happiness would be complete.

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Y View Post
    I have an Icom my wife bought for me about 20 years ago. The battery still holds a charge! In fact it holds a charge for years. If only rechargeable power tools had such a battery my happiness would be complete.
    I’ve got a radio like this. I misplaced the charger for 2 years. Never even missed it.

Keep it in a drybag; get the tray that holds double AA's as well, load it and tuck it away for the longer trips. Keep it in a drybag and it will last for years. Same with hand held GPS.
    Ben Fuller
    Ran Tan, Liten Kuhling, Tipsy, Tippy, Josef W., Merry Mouth, Imp, Macavity, Look Far, Flash and a quiver of other 'yaks.
    "Bound fast is boatless man."

I have a Uniden MHS125 that I prefer over my Icom. I wear it on my life jacket so I can monitor 16, plus if things go bad in a hurry (like they tend to do) it's connected to me if I go in the water) It gets soaking wet including the speaker every outing, and still looks brand new... it's at least 6 or 7 years old. I much prefer having the On/Off and Volume/ Squelch control on a knob on top of the radio instead of a button on the front. I can keep it on Channel 16 but adjust the volume down if the broadcast comes in too loud. Buttons are easy to read too, which helps if your glasses get knocked off! Actually, I don't think they still make this model but have similar with same features. Also holds a charge for multiple outings, on all day, has a strong clip to connect to life jacket and it floats. This model also has the charging station for home which is nice, I've heard some don't include that.
    Last edited by Mark O.; 05-30-2018 at 07:08 PM.

ebay # 173341547263

check it out!

Not "sub $100", but recommended by the electronics guy on Off Center Harbor. Lot's of features, check the link.

http://www.standardhorizon.com/index...3&isArchived=0

For $199.00, (Amazon) you get:

• Meets ITU-R M493-13 Class D DSC (Digital Selective Calling)
    • Separate Receiver for CH70 (Receiving DSC Calls)
    • Integrated 66 Channel WAAS GPS receiver
    • Oversized full dot matrix display (1.7” (W) x 1.7” (H) or 2.3” diagonal)
    • Easy to Operate Icon/Menu System
    • Navigate to a DSC Distress Call with Compass Page
    • GM (Group Monitor) using DSC Group Position Call
    • DSC Test Call and Auto DSC Channel Change Selection
    • Automatically poll the GPS position of a ship using DSC
    • Enter, Save, and Navigate to a waypoint with Compass Page
    • MOB (Man Over Board) Function
    • Water Activated Emergency Strobe Light
    • 1W, 2W or 6W Transmit Power options
    • Navigation (LAT/LON, SOG, and COG) information shown on display
    • Submersible IPX8 waterproof rating (1.5M or 4.92 feet for 30 minutes)
    • Noise-canceling Function for both transmit and receive audio
    • All USA/International and Canadian Marine Channels
    • USB Data Port – NMEA Output DSC, DSE, GLL, RMC, GSA, GSV and GGA (9600 baud)
    • NOAA Weather Channel with Weather Alert
    • Programmable Scan, Priority Scan, and Dual and Tri Watch
    • Preset key used to recall up to 10 favorite channels
    • Supplied with a 1800 mAh Li-Ion Battery, 110VAC and 12VDC 3-hour quick chargersAlkaline Battery Tray

It's what I'd get if I needed to replace my current radio.

Bill