Thread: Catching a Crab...

Default Catching a Crab...

No sail and oar trip is complete without some long slog under oar and catching at least a few crabs.

Each spring, my son and I make a voyage together and each year he says he is actually going to catch a crab, even though we don't have any nets or bait. I should note he's now 18, but still thinks he'll get one.

Well, this year he finally got his wish. It was low, low tide, the water mirror calm and an aquarium-like scene was below us as we rowed along looking at the sea lettuce, sand dollars, and the occasional fish. Then a huge rock crab appeared just as we coasted to a stop.

"Let's nab him," my son yelled with the glee of a six-year old.

"OK, chop stick style," I called back and handed him an oar.

I slid mine towards the crab and before my son could get his all the way to the quarry, it scuttled on to my oar as I started to lift.

It grabbed on, and out came the crab, clamped onto the oar.

I caught a crab alright!
    Tales from the land and sea: http://terrapintales.wordpress.com/

Default Re: Catching a Crab...

That’s pretty cool! We’ve caught them on fishing line but they always let go just they reach the surface.
    -Jim

Sucker for a pretty face.
    1934 27' Blanchard Cuiser ~ Amazon, Ex. Emalu
    19'6" Caledonia Yawl ~ Sparrow

Getting into trouble one board at a time.

Pics so I guess tidied happen. Was it tasty?
    If one advances confidently in the direction of his dreams, and endeavors to live the life which he has imagined, he will meet with a success unexpected in common hours.
    -Henry David Thoreau-

That's not what I thought "catching a crab" with your oars was supposed to mean at all--nice catch!

Tom
    You don't have to be prepared as long as you're willing to suffer the consequences.

www.tompamperin.com

Quote Originally Posted by jsjpd1 View Post
    That’s pretty cool! We’ve caught them on fishing line but they always let go just they reach the surface.
    which is where another crew member already has a long handled net in the water waiting to scoop it up. Might not be legal though.

"Catching a crab" can certainly do a job on your gut.
    \"Of all the things I\'ve lost, I miss my mind the most.\"

South Puget Sound/summer Eastern carib./winter

A COUPLE of 6 year olds.

If you catch a really big, feisty crab...sometimes they pull you overboard...aka ejector crab! haha, My son and I loved crabbing, too! When Summer comes here in Florida, they will sit in the shallow water, and we cruise the shoreline with dip nets in hand. A good method is having an old flexible fishing pole, to pin them to the sand, then scoop up with the net, since it's hard to move the net quickly through the water. The best "crab" we spotted and quickly scooped up was a new looking pair of RayBan sunglasses! Good times for sure!

As with most here, I pictured a different situation. Rowing in the Head of the Charles Regatta (many years ago), I watched an oarsman in an 8 man shell catch one perfectly & he was launched entirely out of the boat. Quite an impressive sight - but yours is much better!
    "If it ain't broke, you're not trying." - Red Green

that's a big one. nice catch. years ago-late 50s-we used to crab east of houston using chicken parts tied to lengths of string. never failed getting a bunch of blues. smaller than that tho.

jim

Quote Originally Posted by Sailor View Post
    Pics so I guess tidied happen. Was it tasty?
    I can't tell you it was tasty unless you let me know if you work for Washington Department of Fish & Wildlife!

The funny part was that you could turn the crab all the way upside down and it still wouldn't let go...
    Tales from the land and sea: http://terrapintales.wordpress.com/