Thread: Snotter rigging

Default Snotter rigging

Rigging up the black skimmer's mizzen for the first time, and I've run into a hitch... I've only had about 15 minutes to look at it and both of the kids were "helping", but I thought I would check with the group mind. Anyway the lacing fouls on the pad eye on the way up and down.

The hardware and block for the snotter foul the luff lacing on the way up and down. It's a medal padeye screwed to the fwd side of the mast, with a small block shackled to it just big enough to pass 1/4" line. The picture is from the previous owner. I can post new ones one the kids are in bed.

Thoughts?
    The cure for everything is saltwater - sweat, tears, or the sea.

Default Re: Snotter rigging

I left a big enough gap in the lacing (Welsford's Pathfinder) that I could at least put a reef in, without having to fight this. But yeah, it was a PITA when setting up. You can leave the lacing a little loose, but I think the real answer is a recessed padeye.
    images.jpeg

Pete
    Don't underestimate the power of stupid people in large numbers!

If you go for an all rope snotter that does not need to be led down to the deck, all you have is a little thumb cleat and a line. But the real answer is forth and back lacing that stays pretty slack and furling the sail on the mast.

You could also put the block on a strop with a button or toggle ( now pretty common in the new land of dynema) and fasten it on after hoisting the sail. All the strop needs to be is a bit of line with a small eye splice or seized loop in one end and a toggle seized on the other or something like a star knot. It can be cowhitched to the block which presumabley has a bail on it. Slack the snotter, undo the strop and the snotter stays with the sprit.
    Ben Fuller
    Ran Tan, Liten Kuhling, Tipsy, Tippy, Josef W., Merry Mouth, Imp, Macavity, Look Far, Flash and a quiver of other 'yaks.
    "Bound fast is boatless man."

South Puget Sound/summer Eastern carib./winter

Fittins ? You use FITTINS to snot a wee sail????

The main and mizzen on our Shearwater yawl, as well as the main on our preceding Dovekie, were all furled vertically, so fouling the lacing on the snotter block (Dovekie only) was not a problem at all. The Shearwater used slides instead of lacing.

Exactly. I inherited the rig, and did not build it. I think I will pull the fitting, and just rig a strop cow-hitched around the sail.

South Puget Sound/summer Eastern carib./winter

Rolling hitch on the mast.

Here's a photo of the snotter on a Bolger Gypsy, with the ubiquitous leg-of-mutton sail.

The bridle has a brass grommet lashed in with tarred linen thread and a large loop on the other end, that's hitched with three or so turns about the mast.

The lower part slots into the notch on the end of the boom, runs through the brass grommet, then to a small cleat on the mast. Leading it outboard of the boom keeps the boom snug against the mast, so it won't clatter.
    We're merely mammals. Let's misbehave! óCole Porter

The snotter on my dinghy just consists of a seine twine serving on the mast and an eyesplice in the end of the snotter just a bit larger than the mast's diameter. It catches on the serving and holds there all season. The end of the snotter is led through a bee hole on the sprit and back to a cleat on the sprit and made fast. Not sure the cleat is even necessary hardware as it would be easy to make off without it.

You call those snotters?
    This is a snotter

Joking aside, many snotters were supported by a stanliff from the mast head.
    It really is quite difficult to build an ugly wooden boat.

The power of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web
    The weakness of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web.

Or drill holes just after the slots and glue dowels in that act like small belaying pins. That I learned from Dynamite Paysons books.
    Www.oarandsail.nl

You could also change from a laced on sail to a track and slide system.

Quote Originally Posted by FF View Post
    Or drill holes just after the slots and glue dowels in that act like small belaying pins. That I learned from Dynamite Paysons books.
    Www.oarandsail.nl
    Yeah, the builder did that, but the pins have broken off. I have some quarter inch bronze rod laying around that I make a second attempt with.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike V. View Post
    You could also change from a laced on sail to a track and slide system.
    Still trying to keep it simple, but we will see what happens after we start sailing.