Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: I sailed this Privateer 26 yesterday. Too much character in a boat?

Default Re: I sailed this Privateer 26 yesterday. Too much character in a boat?

Quote Originally Posted by Thorne View Post

I sailed this Privateer 26 yesterday.... (snip)... The owner had three small 10-gage brass cannons that we fired off occasionally to the delight of all, but they kept tearing the fasteners out of the mounting board -- too much recoil combined with too little mass in the barrels.
    Arrrgh, loose cannons again, matey?

Well Har mateys! The owner is having fun and that is what it is all about isn't it? I do think he stopped a bit short on the rig though! He could gaff rig her and cross a couple of yards on the main mast! That kind of rig was popular amungst privateers once. Those little ketches they sailed were quick to maneuver and could go to "winnerd". They were the Baine of the Caribbean back in the heyday of piracy!
    Jay

I have enjoyed the comments about my Sea Eagle. While I own a pirate ship, my true love will always be with wooden boats. I have been to the Louvre and I feel a Haven 12 1/2 belongs next to the Mona Lisa. As for the Sea Eagle, she was built in 1969 and I'm the third owner. Believe it or not, I have taken many things off of the boat since I bought it, it did have too much. The only thing I've added is the cannons, because what kind of pirate ship can't defend itself? One of the boats from Pirates of the Carribean fired on her previous owners. When the previous owners sent me the picture, I was not going unarmed in the hostile waters of the San Francisco Bay again. I added the cannons, but the outfit came with the boat.

So why a pirate ship? I live in Colorado, but have an office just north of the Golden Gate Bridge. I'm a landlocked pirate that wears a suit way to open and any time on the water is valued more than almost anything. While strolling marinas and deciding I needed to have a boat to sleep on the one week a month I'm in the bay, I saw an add for the Sea Eagle. A few emails and calls led to my youngest boy an I visiting the crazy owners of this ship. They used to travel the world as a juggling, unicycle riding duo (I can't make this up). This was their baby and whle they knew they needed to part with it, it wasn't going to be easy. My eight year old was instantly in love. "Dad, can we buy it, can we buy it" he kept saying no matter how much I elbowed him. As an executive who spends too many nights away from home, I knew this would be a hit even if we didn't get on it together very often. I told them that we were flying home the next day and I would discuss it with the admiral. While trying to justify buying a sailboat (my third) to the spreedsheet savy admiral, I received a call. My cofounder had passed away from a heart attack at age 56 while mountian biking. I put the boat on hold for a couple of weeks whle I helped my close friend's family deal with the loss of a great man. The owners called and said another family wanted it, but they would hold it for me for a couple of more days. As the CEO of a medical device company, I know how to handle a board of directors. Admiral Spreadsheet is another level of intensity. If you're ever going to play the one of my best friends died and life is short cards, it's for a pirate ship. Gathering my courage and best doe eyes, I told her about how life is short and if something happened to me, I'd want my boys to remember being on a pirate ship with their dad. Admiral Spreadsheet stood with her mouth open. I thought I might have sold it unitl she said,"are you really going to play that card?" Gulp, maybe not. "Um yeah." "That's bull****, you just want a pirate ship to go play on (also true)." "We need a new bed, ours kills my back" the Admiral declared. "If we get new bed, can I buy the pirate ship?" The Admiral noded and I danced like my eight year old. Now I own a boat that lives in a marina 800 miles from house. I have sailed in Europe, the South Pacific, Pacific Northwest and lakes all over the Rockies. Nothing compares to firing a cannon from your own pirate ship, at least for an afternoon with friends. She may be a little guady, but if anyone ever wants to fire a cannon and live part of the dream of why we all sail, hit me up. Tourists are easy pickens in San Francisco anytime of the year.

https://www.facebook.com/jamie.hagga...5011330541209/

Quote Originally Posted by Rocky Mountain Pirate View Post
    I have enjoyed the comments about my Sea Eagle. While I own a pirate ship, my true love will always be with wooden boats. I have been to the Louvre and I feel a Haven 12 1/2 belongs next to the Mona Lisa. As for the Sea Eagle, she was built in 1969 and I'm the third owner. Believe it or not, I have taken many things off of the boat since I bought it, it did have too much. The only thing I've added is the cannons, because what kind of pirate ship can't defend itself? One of the boats from Pirates of the Carribean fired on her previous owners. When the previous owners sent me the picture, I was not going unarmed in the hostile waters of the San Francisco Bay again. I added the cannons, but the outfit came with the boat.

So why a pirate ship? I live in Colorado, but have an office just north of the Golden Gate Bridge. I'm a landlocked pirate that wears a suit way to open and any time on the water is valued more than almost anything. While strolling marinas and deciding I needed to have a boat to sleep on the one week a month I'm in the bay, I saw an add for the Sea Eagle. A few emails and calls led to my youngest boy an I visiting the crazy owners of this ship. They used to travel the world as a juggling, unicycle riding duo (I can't make this up). This was their baby and whle they knew they needed to part with it, it wasn't going to be easy. My eight year old was instantly in love. "Dad, can we buy it, can we buy it" he kept saying no matter how much I elbowed him. As an executive who spends too many nights away from home, I knew this would be a hit even if we didn't get on it together very often. I told them that we were flying home the next day and I would discuss it with the admiral. While trying to justify buying a sailboat (my third) to the spreedsheet savy admiral, I received a call. My cofounder had passed away from a heart attack at age 56 while mountian biking. I put the boat on hold for a couple of weeks whle I helped my close friend's family deal with the loss of a great man. The owners called and said another family wanted it, but they would hold it for me for a couple of more days. As the CEO of a medical device company, I know how to handle a board of directors. Admiral Spreadsheet is another level of intensity. If you're ever going to play the one of my best friends died and life is short cards, it's for a pirate ship. Gathering my courage and best doe eyes, I told her about how life is short and if something happened to me, I'd want my boys to remember being on a pirate ship with their dad. Admiral Spreadsheet stood with her mouth open. I thought I might have sold it unitl she said,"are you really going to play that card?" Gulp, maybe not. "Um yeah." "That's bull****, you just want a pirate ship to go play on (also true)." "We need a new bed, ours kills my back" the Admiral declared. "If we get new bed, can I buy the pirate ship?" The Admiral noded and I danced like my eight year old. Now I own a boat that lives in a marina 800 miles from house. I have sailed in Europe, the South Pacific, Pacific Northwest and lakes all over the Rockies. Nothing compares to firing a cannon from your own pirate ship, at least for an afternoon with friends. She may be a little guady, but if anyone ever wants to fire a cannon and live part of the dream of why we all sail, hit me up. Tourists are easy pickens in San Francisco anytime of the year.

https://www.facebook.com/jamie.hagga...5011330541209/
    Wonderful!

Rocky, Be 100% certain of your load data for your muzzle loaders. An incident with those guns comes with terms like catastrophic failure.

I can't think of a better reason to own a pirate ship Your son will remember that boat his entire life, and treasure every moment spent together on it!