Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I sailed this Privateer 26 yesterday. Too much character in a boat?

Red face I sailed this Privateer 26 yesterday. Too much character in a boat?

IMG_8811.jpg

I sailed this Privateer 26 yesterday. Too much character in a boat? ;-)

Seriously, the carvings were nicely done and the deco didn't get in the way...much. And she handled the gusty SF Bay winds well, although I put the rail in the water several times and the cockpit seats got a bit damp. The owner had three small 10-gage brass cannons that we fired off occasionally to the delight of all, but they kept tearing the fasteners out of the mounting board -- too much recoil combined with too little mass in the barrels.
    "The enemies of reason have a certain blind look."
    Doctor Jacquin to Lieutenant D'Hubert, in Ridley Scott's first major film _The Duellists_.

Default Re: I sailed this Privateer 26 yesterday. Too much character in a boat?

Shame he's not having any fun with it

^ Yep.

If the owner is enjoying it, so be it!

Kevin
    There are two kinds of boaters: those who have run aground, and those who lie about it.

Looks like you are being chided a bit Thorne. I think this boat was designed by Thomas Gilmer and built in Arkansas. I agree that this one has a little too much "character" but there are always some who love a clipper bow and all the fixins. Gilmer also designed other successful boats that were more in the mainstream including the Seawind and Southern Cross, both bluewater cruisers. If it sails well, and you seemed to have a good sail on it, where is the harm? My main complaint of the Privateer was that the Kenner boat Company called it a 26 footer and included the clipper bow in that, while the waterline was about 6 feet less. Bayfield and a few others did the same thing.
    Tom L

Yeah, but the real question is, what kind of hat did you wear?
    -Jim

Sucker for a pretty face.
    1934 27' Blanchard Cuiser ~ Amazon, Ex. Emalu
    19'6" Caledonia Yawl ~ Sparrow

Getting into trouble one board at a time.

Several years ago, there was a Privateer 26 in our marina, although I don't remember it having a yawl rig. I thought the clipper bow on that size boat did not work at all. It made the boat look hideous. I hope all of the "character" additions help hide the problem.

Looks kinda like a carnival ride.

South Puget Sound/summer Eastern carib./winter

I cannot tolerate decorative stuff on a boat for the purpose of theatre.
    I meant ...I cannot tolerate decorative stuff on MY boat for the purpose of theatre .
    So, next time you be the gunny and the owner chap steers?

It’s still better looking than 90% of the megayacht aesthetic disasters that mmd posts.

It's a bit silly, but why not. Have fun.

As a young 'hotshot' Star sailor and crew on IOR boats I am surprised my face didn't freeze in a permanent sneer when I'd see folks out in such boats. I would laugh at the guy squeezing his family of four onto a Chysler Mutineer or when he raised the tack on his Cal 20 jib to the top of his mast, or if he rode up onto the rocks at my club while trying to get his Seagull pull chord threaded one more time (more than one of those at the bottom of our harbor). But as a lifetime on the water slipped by I came to understand how very wrong I was. That I was the one doing it wrong.

Sailing has been one of the true joys of my life, and my greatest regret is that I spent so much of that time chasing a dream I could never catch instead of enjoying the moment more. Sure, I made lifetime friends and had some experiences I wouldn't trade for anything, but pure joy doesn't come often when you are programmed to critique your every move and being satisfied runs counter to how you are geared to think. Just doesn't work that way. So hell yeah. Enjoy life. Enjoy every day as best as you can. Time with friends, time with family out in the fresh air, breathing deep. Such joy, even accompanied by cannon fire.

Mickey Lake
    'A disciple of the Norse god of aesthetically pleasing boats, Johan Anker'

I always liked that design. It's not efficient, but it's competent and I personally like the looks.

That's an interesting question, James. While I dislike many of the superyachts, from some angles a small boat that wears pirate ship makeup is at least as pretentious.

Sure, if the owner's having fun that's good. But then again, if the owners of the superyachts are having fun isn't that also just as good from some angles?

Quote Originally Posted by bamamick View Post
    As a young 'hotshot' Star sailor and crew on IOR boats I am surprised my face didn't freeze in a permanent sneer when I'd see folks out in such boats. I would laugh at the guy squeezing his family of four onto a Chysler Mutineer or when he raised the tack on his Cal 20 jib to the top of his mast, or if he rode up onto the rocks at my club while trying to get his Seagull pull chord threaded one more time (more than one of those at the bottom of our harbor). But as a lifetime on the water slipped by I came to understand how very wrong I was. That I was the one doing it wrong.

Sailing has been one of the true joys of my life, and my greatest regret is that I spent so much of that time chasing a dream I could never catch instead of enjoying the moment more. Sure, I made lifetime friends and had some experiences I wouldn't trade for anything, but pure joy doesn't come often when you are programmed to critique your every move and being satisfied runs counter to how you are geared to think. Just doesn't work that way. So hell yeah. Enjoy life. Enjoy every day as best as you can. Time with friends, time with family out in the fresh air, breathing deep. Such joy, even accompanied by cannon fire.

Mickey Lake
    Great post, Mickey. As an insecure kid I also sneered a bit at those people; I was wrong to do so. In classic boat circles there's also a few insults flowing to the people who own a Catabaveteau, which is arguably equally wrong.

Personally, though, it can be said that there is a lot of pure joy in mastering something in the way that you do when you are driven by the open communication of techniques and high standards that you can get through competition. Maybe it's just something you should appreciate having done, rather than regret too much?

Oh, I do, Chris. I just have some mixed emotions because of the time I took away from my family and the sacrifices they made for me to do what I wanted to do. Of course, you always think there will be time later on to do those things, until you wake up one day, they are all in their thirties and living thousands of miles away.

I did buy the 15' cat boat to sail with my grandson, but I would love to have something we could all sail on together. Maybe we should just charter?

The sailing dream never really dies, does it?

Mickey Lake
    'A disciple of the Norse god of aesthetically pleasing boats, Johan Anker'

It used to be you could invest some money, collect the interest annually and charter a 40 ft boat for a 10 day vacation in the off season with the family (late September in Maine) and still keep the principle. We did that for quite a few years, with fond memories indeed.

In which case I now officially object. That boat needs a big hat. With a feather! Go big or or go home.
    -Jim

I don’t see too much character just a design lacking any sense of good seamanship. I this picture alone there are multiple ‘features’ that cause me concern.

A vessels primary role is to look after her crew and from what I can see this vessel has been stylised without full regard of that purpose

https://tinkboats.wordpress.com
    http://proasail.blogspot.co.uk
    What I get up to
    https://youtu.be/X9NZEyvpb_Y Streaker dinghy
    https://youtu.be/oni-3rJzxqQ Sail Canoe
    https://youtu.be/eW078PPgJak Proa

The best art is subtle. That's not character, it pretense.

Quote Originally Posted by Gib Etheridge View Post
    The best art is subtle. That's not character, it pretense.
    I doubt the owner was trying for art or subtlety. Many, maybe most, boats reflect the personality of their owner. Most likely this is one of those. Not cool to be so judgemental. I'd accept a ride on San Francisco Bay on a windy day even if I am fairly picky about boat design.
    Tom L

Id go for a sail on it, I just wouldnt own it.

Thanks for the responses, everyone! Nobody was giving me a hard time about the boat, just wondered what the general reaction might be. As an owner of a "character boat" myself, I sometimes wonder at what point we can go over the line of good taste and nautical utility.

The hand with the block is certainly OTT, although for our proposed use -- a gunship for the black powder battle at the Vallejo Pirate Festival in two weeks -- it is perfect. We'll probably rig up either a severed head or pair of severed feet in manacles to hang from it.

And the sailing was great and not much impeded by the deco - a bigger problem was too many folks in the very small cockpit, as I was jamming the tiller into a guy's shoulder when tacking. And this is the second owner, who enjoys the effect and carved wood without being too crazed about it all.
    Doctor Jacquin to Lieutenant D'Hubert, in Ridley Scott's first major film _The Duellists_.

I'd kill for some of the bronze fittings I've seen on some Privateers.

Interesting roach on the mizzen, the boat must like it I assume. If I did that to mine I'd have the tiller up around my ear.

Quote Originally Posted by jsjpd1 View Post
    ^Yah, this.

Doesn't this fall into the delightful category of "simply messing about in boats?"

Not my personal cuppa, but this guy is out there having a ball while I sit tap-tap-tapping at my computer, so....

Hopefully he has a tricorne to wear. And a puffy shirt. Aaargh.
    --​Anson, M/V Kingfisher

Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible. ~The Dalai Lama

Quote Originally Posted by Sabre View Post
    Doesn't this fall into the delightful category of "simply messing about in boats?"

Not my personal cuppa, but this guy is out there having a ball while I sit tap-tap-tapping at my computer, so....

Hopefully he has a tricorne to wear. And a puffy shirt. Aaargh.
    When you add the gh, it's Charlie Brown. For pirates, it's a one-letter vocabulary:

Quote Originally Posted by jsjpd1 View Post
    My RN straw hat with a Sea Dog pin -
    jeremiah-pic-of-me.jpg

Of course it should have been this one -

Video of the 10 gage BP shell tabletop cannons ripping loose from the mounts and nearly going overboard. You can hear me suggesting he use bolts rather than screws... ;-) ignore the end of the video.
    https://www.facebook.com/laura.miera...6019074075029/
    Last edited by Thorne; 05-30-2018 at 09:09 PM.

Wearing that hat 'thwartships.
    --​Anson, M/V Kingfisher

Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible. ~The Dalai Lama

I'm restoring a 1961 built International Cadet, Original name: Jolly Roger, first owner Ian Kidd (I knew him as a 'kid', from the next club up the bay). Blood red interior and on the original spinnaker….a skull and crossbones.

Quote Originally Posted by Thorne View Post
    My RN straw hat with a Sea Dog pin -
    jeremiah-pic-of-me.jpg

Of course it should have been this one -

Video of the 10 gage BP shell tabletop cannons ripping loose from the mounts and nearly going overboard. You can hear me suggesting he use bolts rather than screws... ;-) ignore the end of the video.
    https://www.facebook.com/laura.miera...6019074075029/
    Even though it was the straw hat and not the one you should have been wearing, I now withdraw my objection to this boat.

Carry on my good sir.

And thanks for the hat pics.
    -Jim

Weren't Privateers sold as kits, and finished off by the owners?

Maybe the designer (and owner of this embellished boat) WANTED you to be annoyed.... I view it as a "Punk Boat" and think it's fantastic!.

Quote Originally Posted by BrianM View Post
    Maybe the designer (and owner of this embellished boat) WANTED you to be annoyed.... I view it as a "Punk Boat" and think it's fantastic!.
    It seems a lot of the objections are to the embellishments, not to the original design.

http://sailboatdata.com/viewrecord.asp?class_id=618

In the end, it doesn't matter one iota what anyone else thinks of your boat. Enjoy you days on the water and this earth.