Thread: Conor O'Briens Ilen, relaunched after 10yr restoration.

Default Conor O'Briens Ilen, relaunched after 10yr restoration.

Here are some pictures of the AK Ilen at Baltimore Pier, West Cork, Ireland. She was launched to make an appearance at the Baltimore Wooden Boat Festival.

The AK Ilen was designed by Conor O'Brien, and Tom Moynihan, foreman of the Baltimore Fisheries School, to serve as a supply vessel for the Falkland Islands. O'Brien had stopped in the Falklands to take on stores during his circumnavigation in Saoirse(also designed by O'Brien and Moynihan). The Ilen was brought back to Ireland from the Falkland Islands over 20 years ago to be restored.

The restoration, carried out at Hegarty's boatyard in Oldcourt, just up the Ilen River from Baltimore, only really got going ten years ago. There's still another 2 months or so of work to get her to sailing condition.

Default Re: Conor O'Briens Ilen, relaunched after 10yr restoration.

Lovely, lovely, lovely and Brilliant!!!!
    Made my day, Tim!!

I saw the pictures Deep Blue Engineering put up of that windlass on Facebook. That is one absolutely stunningly beautiful bit of bling. It'll look even better when it takes on that lovely green patina in a few months.
    If one advances confidently in the direction of his dreams, and endeavors to live the life which he has imagined, he will meet with a success unexpected in common hours.
    -Henry David Thoreau-

It's something else alright. I believe it was designed by Conor O'Brien but never actually built previously. I hope it works! I'll post more pics if I see her sailing later in the summer. Another thing to note is a replica of Conor O'Brien's Saoirse is being built in Hegarty's at the moment. She should be launched in a couple of years!

All that rigging for the bowsprit seems complicated. The rope tackle that tensions the blue chain looks a bit like David pulling Goliath.

Jeff

Some pretty interesting rigging going on there. Quite unusual.

Quote Originally Posted by jpatrick View Post
    All that rigging for the bowsprit seems complicated. The rope tackle that tensions the blue chain looks a bit like David pulling Goliath.

Jeff
    I think they've forgotten something, they'll lose that bowsprit left like it is.
    There is no way that cat arrangement can last like that, and I can't believe it would be designed like that without shrouds linking them back to the hull in the way of the mast shrouds, thereabouts. I hope it's just not completed yet, but I really do not like that bolt through into the rail one little bit.
    Last edited by John B; 05-29-2018 at 12:30 PM.

She was rushed down river to make the wooden boat festival. She won't be sailing until late July. A lot of things are just lashed in place for show. Have a look at the mizzen boom!

Here is a photo after her first launch.

It's a big bowsprit. As you can see she still needs a lot of ballast too for her to float properly on her lines. I'll hopefully get some photos of her when she is in sailing condition later in the year. We can see then how the rigging has been resolved.

Quote Originally Posted by John B View Post
    I think they've forgotten something, they'll lose that bowsprit left like it is.
    There is no way that cat arrangement can last like that, and I can't believe it would be designed like that without shrouds linking them back to the hull in the way of the mast shrouds, thereabouts. I hope it's just not completed yet, but I really do not like that bolt through into the rail one little bit.
    This crop of the first photo might shed some light.