Thread: Beach Boats of Benin

Post Beach Boats of Benin

A friend recieved this picture of a local fishing vessel from his son in law in Benin . The child standing behind gives some idea of the scale . I could not make out the appendage on the Starboard side : too far aft to be a lee board . So I checked the internet and found some more pictures . The boats are fitted with outboard brackets on their Starboard quarters , with a splash board to give the engine some protection from solid water and spray alike .

It looks like the bottoms are hewn out of one or more large logs ,with planks extending the topsides ,somewhat like some of the Chesapeake canoes .

Last edited by Bill Perkins; 05-28-2018 at 08:55 AM.

Default Re: Beach Boats of Benin

Looks heavy…….. I wonder if they were so big before outboards………. and how long the type has been built there.

Thanks Bill.

It would be instructive to see a video of how they launch those boats. Lots of bodies and more rollers?
    Alex

"“He was unfamiliar with the sea and did not like it much: it was a place that made you cold and wet and sick” " Nevil Shute, Trustee From the Toolroom

Weren't the people of Benin renowned for their skills in landing and launching in surf? I seem to recall this from one of the O'Brian books.

Launching that boat would be Herculean task!
    '' You ain't gonna learn what you don't want to know. ''
    Grateful Dead

These look a lot like the big canoes of Ghana used for netfishing, though the Ghanaian canoes do not have the jog in the hull for the outboards. I have photos somewhere; if interested I can post them on my blog as I do not have a separate site to link to. -- Wade

The Ghana canoes also have that interesting tradition of adzing down the hull vertically, leaving ridges. I wonder if that is some little-considered hydrodynamic method, or folk-tradition/ritual? -- Wade

I wondered about that too . Maybe they want that resistance to reduce surfing when coming in ?