Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: If I won the lottery today. (back at ya mmd)

Default Re: If I won the lottery today. (back at ya mmd)

I have a slightly different idea for a lottery boat.

Tom

"Leave the gun, take the cannolis"

I'd commission this boat.

kathleen-gee-yawl-sail-plan-illustr.jpg
    '' You ain't gonna learn what you don't want to know. ''
    Grateful Dead

Just a little inboard woodie, to go fishing on Tonle Sap.... which produces 26 times as much seafood as the North Sea

"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome and charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime" Mark Twain... so... Carpe the living sh!t out of the Diem

How about one of those beautiful Felucca's you took such good pics of? I have a weakness for lateen sails and have made one for my sailing canoe.

I'm one of those who has no real desire to get bigger than about 36 feet, which is an easy size to handle for a couple and yet which can take some of their friends. I'd rather scatter a few 8-36 footers of very different types around the world, along with lots of Optis, Fevas and Lasers for kids to sail.

I'd have a trailer sailer like this;

30 Jollenkreuzer.jpg

Several of these;

12 foot dinghy Riva.jpg

It would be great to sponsor the building of replicas; early racing centreboarders like Peggy of the Isle of Man; the Bob Fish design Truant and the Bowyer boats that followed her and inspired the Australian "Skiffs"; some early Australian racing boats; sailing canoes, and punts from Lake Connewarre and the Isis near Oxford.

They'd all sit mast-up in a VERY big shed with a few Moths, International Canoes, Lasers, 12 Foot Skiffs, International 14s, F18, A Class, Hobie and Tornado cats, Tasars, a 49er, FD, Z, H and J Jolle, a 1987 wide-span wingtip 18 Foot Skiff, and a replica of Prime Computer, the balsa two-person 18 Foot Skiff that carried the first modern asymetric spinnaker. Oh, and a 16 x 30 sailing canoe, a Storer Beth, a "square bilge V Class" 18 footer from NZ, etc etc etc

But two "Grand Prix" boats like this (a TP52 and perhaps a Maxi 72) would be great fun - so simple compared to a canter or an Open, but so fast. Sure, sailing with a big crew is a drag, but charging around on something big and fast every now and then IS fun.

Imagine the efficiency in hull, keel, rudder and rig design that allows something to sail so well with such flat sails sheeted so tight.

alegre-fimage.jpg

But the queen of the collection would be the immortal Ragtime. Sixty five fee long but still capable of being sailed by a couple.

Ragtime.jpg

And for light-wind windsurfing, one of these;

Wooden D2.jpg
    Last edited by Chris249; 05-27-2018 at 10:04 PM.

I like looking at the big boats but I'm damned if I'd want or dream about owning something that needs crew just to move it. Maybe superyacht living is something you adapt to, always with people around, like living at a cafe or restaurant, maybe its a siren song you get acclimatised to when people serve you food and do what you tell them on an hourly basis.
    Not for me though, we can be self sufficient on our little boat, pull up the sails by hand , sail off , sail on, go on a whim.

If I hit the lottery, I guess I'll keep doing what I've been doing, until the money runs out.
    Rattling the teacups.

I've sailed a few miles in a Chris White Atlantic 46, a sloop with a wing mast. Probably my favourite delivery boat, everything was very well sorted. The fastest I sailed was 18 knots. The cockpit was small for a cruising boat.

Chris has a staysail schooner rig with two wing masts. They've had some problems with the mast, but assuming that's sorted, and assuming I was tied to one boat, that's what I'd go for.

Hmm, I have reconsidered somewhat. There's a pic of a stunning catboat daysailer that appeared on the cover of WB a couple of years ago.
    There she is, I reckon if I won enough I'd commission one of these.

What say you?
    OMG!!

I appreciate the support, thank you - but - think!!!!!! I rarely start threads, I can be perfectly beastly (when enraged) - so would be a sort of divisive Trumpess of the bilge - and cannot imagine keeping everyone entertained, or in order, or whatever, for a month.

I'm flattered, but as Spinner is now the king/queenmaker, I throw myself on her mercy. Or on that of supporters of other nominees. Get nominating, seconding, thirding etc. NOW!
    "Mozart is the heart's touchstone" (Edwin Fischer)

Quote Originally Posted by PeterSibley View Post
    I'd commission this boat.

kathleen-gee-yawl-sail-plan-illustr.jpg
    Could you commission one for me while you are at it?

Plans are available from Tony Dias, she's named for my Mother.
    '' You ain't gonna learn what you don't want to know. ''
    Grateful Dead

Quote Originally Posted by James McMullen
    Ive really not much interest in big boats any more. These boats suit me fine.

You're a man after my own heart.
    War is peace.
    Freedom is slavery.
    Ignorance is strength.
    Trump is doing beautifully.

Quote Originally Posted by downthecreek View Post
    OMG!!

I appreciate the support, thank you - but - think!!!!!! I rarely start threads, I can be perfectly beastly (when enraged) - so would be a sort of divisive Trumpess of the bilge - and cannot imagine keeping everyone entertained, or in order, or whatever, for a month.

I'm flattered, but as Spinner is now the king/queenmaker, I throw myself on her mercy. Or on that of supporters of other nominees. Get nominating, seconding, thirding etc. NOW!
    There are no powers or responsibilities that come with the 'office'.

You'll be fine.
    Rattling the teacups.

Quote Originally Posted by oznabrag View Post
    If I hit the lottery, I guess I'll keep doing what I've been doing, until the money runs out.
    Reminds me of the musician who hit the lottery. He paid off his debts, bought some gear, and lived off what was left...

...and had to go back to work the following month.

What are you doing about it?

What's that'd saying? "I spent most of my money on women and wine. The rest I just squandered away."
    If one advances confidently in the direction of his dreams, and endeavors to live the life which he has imagined, he will meet with a success unexpected in common hours.
    -Henry David Thoreau-

I would buy the six metre 'Ondine' from Rainer Muller and move forward with her restoration. I would ask to be allowed into the Port Madison YC, buy an old Land Rover Disco to keep up there locally, and keep a room at the Poulsbo Inn for regatta weekends.

That has pretty much been my sailing dream for a long time. And oh yeah, I'd do all of that pain-free, whatever that feels like.

Mickey Lake
    'A disciple of the Norse god of aesthetically pleasing boats, Johan Anker'

This is more my style:

Quote Originally Posted by Canoeyawl View Post
    If I won the lottery I would buy all my friends a boat so we could all go single handing together.

And maybe hire a crew to show up at the anchorage after cocktails to fix and serve dinners, and then leave.

edit to add; That would include anyone here that wanted to go. Excepting those on the ignore list.

Now, who will buy me a lottery ticket? Because that is just stupid!
    Yippee!
    I appear not to be (currently ) on that list as you are responding to my posts.

Please check your lottery ticket.
    Enjoy a good rum on the rocks at sunset.

Quote Originally Posted by PeterSibley View Post
    Plans are available from Tony Dias, she's named for my Mother.
    When I get mine (which would suit this coast beautifully) I shall name her after my mother. She was beautiful too (like yours)

You don’t need to win the lotto... you just live like you did.
    Be wary of your critics, at peace with your decisions, and work hard to be a better man.

In comparison to the rest of the people on this planet, we have already won the lottery...

Ain't that the truth. A pile of boats and other toys and the leisure time to enjoy them with friends and family.

Who could ask for more?
    -Jim

Sucker for a pretty face.
    1934 27' Blanchard Cuiser ~ Amazon, Ex. Emalu
    19'6" Caledonia Yawl ~ Sparrow

Getting into trouble one board at a time.

I've met plenty of people living boating lotto lifestyles without giant amounts of cash or assets. Generally they've made difficult decisions or shifted priorities to get the lifestyle they want. Often they're dinks , but many are families or older and have sold the house to get what they want.
    They make their own luck.

TBH i would buy a titanic and so many woodenboats haha

I could be fairly happy with something from Francois Vivier or our own John Welsford and a starter chateau close to the Golfe du Morbihan to retire to after a nice day afloat.

I would build Magpie:

Or have Sam Devlin built me a Kokanee 43

Elect a clown expect a circus

Quote Originally Posted by johnw
    This is more my style:

LFH's Araminta is a work of art.

Just a bit larger than I would like to have. And I don't share LFH's fondness for the ketch rig in small boats. I would not like the aft mast in the cockpit. But that is a matter of taste. She is unquestionably a beautiful vessel.
    War is peace.
    Freedom is slavery.
    Ignorance is strength.
    Trump is doing beautifully.

Quote Originally Posted by James McMullen View Post
    Ive really not much interest in big boats any more. These boats suit me fine. If I had a few extra millions to spare, Id just pay to have them and their captains shipped around to different places once in a while, like the Gulf of Thailand, Lake Te Anau, the Baltic Sea. Or maybe Id have some extras built so they could be staged.

Ditto. I'm done sailing for days with nothing but water in sight, prefer creeping around the crinkly bits on the edges of the water. Small boats, one bunk, the ability to cook a meal, stay dry, sneak into the shallows where the crowds cant disturb me, cruise at 60 mph with the boat on its trailer behind on my way to an interesting but distant piece of water, or ship the boat to somewhere far away is very attractive.
    But that said, I live on a 43 ft motor cruiser, hot shower, decent double bunk, fridge and freezer, space for the drawing board and an inverter to keep the laptop and phone charged. The downside of that is that if I want to go far, it takes days to get there, costs about $8 an hour to run which adds up, and the maintenance takes a lot of work to keep up with. $300 worth of antifouling paint does one haulout, plus the cost of the drydock or haulout.
    There are pluses and minuses, but when I move ashore in a couple of years time, it will be small boats, sail and oar.

Given a lottery win, I'd rather have the income from the money invested plus a couple of nice small craft, each one suited to a particular mood.

John Welsford

John Welsford
    An expert is but a beginner with experience.

First, I'd hope to hell I could find my ticket. Then I'd hope I'd not have a heart attack.

Then I'd like move to a place on or near the water, and I'd have several boats for different purpose and different weather. The most fun I've had on the water has always been with relatively small craft. Sailing is fun if conditions are right, but so is water skiing. Not sure my health will let me do either anymore. but as long as we're dreaming.
    How do we form a mutiny? Our new captain is navigating poorly.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Montgomery View Post
    LFH's Araminta is a work of art.

Just a bit larger than I would like to have. And I don't share LFH's fondness for the ketch rig in small boats. I would not like the aft mast in the cockpit. But that is a matter of taste. She is unquestionably a beautiful vessel.
    For singlehanding, the divided rig is very useful.

The old argument about a single stick as opposed to a two or more stick boat.....
    There is no doubt the presence of a mizzen is always at least a little bit in the way. Yawls have the mizzen out behind the helm. Often they are there only to fiddle the rule. They do offer a few more options in balance and sail handling. With ketches the mizzen is forward of the helm, and more in the way. You inevitably have to duck under a boom when going from side to side. The size of the mizzen is usually more useful. Better for balance and better for sail handling.
    A sloop or cutter has less complication, and less stuff in the way around the cockpit. You aren't peering around the mast or under the boom to talk with friends while sharing appropriate beverages, after a day's sail. You also have much less ability to adjust balance and drive, and sail handing is more complicated, when reefing or reducing sail.
    Of course each boat is a little different, there are other factors very often, but that is pretty much my experience. I have sailed pretty extensively on cats, sloops, cutters and ketches, yawls ( and a cat Yawl)and schooners

For a cruising boat I prefer a ketch. I have about 25 different sail combinations that work, and 32 in total. It is kind of like a bicycle having 3 speed or 24 speed gearing......

I've been asked many times what I'd do if I won the lottery.
    Always have the same answer, "I don't know, the moment I win I'm a differant person."
    basil

O yes , a ketch is fun and very versatile. I'm still finding different modes after 10 years with it. We found a new one last year punching out through the convergence zone Fiji. Reefed and double reefed for while , half a jib and reefed mizzen. Got the power down low and she stood up to the 30 odd knots just fine. Used the mizzen as the clutch , dropped it and reset it from time to time ,and stayed in the cockpit. Well , except for that double reef in the main that had to go in that time.......
    Most of the time schooners get sailed as ketches short handed with the main deep reefed ,but we were very close to schooner for a while ..

I like boats with 2 sails when I am singlehanding. If I hit the lotto... I can not imagine that changing.

Quote Originally Posted by Ted Hoppe View Post
    When i was in Brest (at the Maritime festival), France i saw several nice cold molded cormorans. Was wondering if any of you have built them and your thoughts on the design. It may the boat i would want start to build, trailer and sail in a few years.

Be wary of your critics, at peace with your decisions, and work hard to be a better man.