Thread: Dare I ask, paint or vinyl Name/Registration

Default Dare I ask, paint or vinyl Name/Registration

I know this is a touchy subject, but I think I may have the one exception to re-ask the question.

I am restoring a 1956 Speedliner runabout and I'm starting to think about the name and registration. I love hand painted for all the usual reasons and would go for those without thought if not for the fact that the boat will be getting a vinyl manufatures decal on the quarters.

So what are everyone's thoughts, vinyl to match, or traditional painting? I keep going back and forth myself.

Here is a shot of the graphics that will go on the quarters.

DSC01291.jpg

and one on another boat, photo just pulled from the internet somewhere
    decal.jpg

Default Re: Dare I ask, paint or vinyl Name/Registration

Paint the name, don't use the decal. Have the SpeedLiner logo painted also.

You asked...

Jeff

Quote Originally Posted by jpatrick View Post
    Paint the name, don't use the decal. Have the SpeedLiner logo painted also.
    Agree, but...
    The SpeedLiner decal is original to what they did in '56, so it has to go on.

-JP

That said, one vote for paint!

I haven't yet heard a practical argument for paint in this case.
    It's easy to spend someone else's money in the name of sentiment.

Quite a while ago there was a thread on this subject and it got a bit nasty as purists lined up against vinyl or other decal type name arrangement. Yes it would be nice to have gold leaf, shading, outlining, and all the bells and whistles. Some have even insisted that the cost is not that different. I really dont know, but the last time I put a name on a boat is was with vinyl, and first one to get a name it was writ in pencil.... you can still read it too. What it comes down to is that it is your boat. Do what feels right to you and dont worry about anything else. You have my blessing

Planning to show the boat, or otherwise have it judged and scored as a historical restoration? Is it a no-holds-barred, damn-the-expense restoration of a very pricey boat?

No?

Vinyl will be fine, and I bet that 99% or the people you meet who say, "Wow! Nice boat!" won't notice.
    Hope for the best, but plan for the worst.

Vinyl

If you have a real "water mount" decal I would certainly use that.

If you would like paint with the ease of doing vinyl, here is how I go about it:

Just about any sign shop that cuts vinyl letters will also have stencil stock. This is vinyl also but much thinner than lettering stock. Another major difference is that the stencil adhesive is very low tack. It's much like the blue, delicate surface, masking tape we all know about. The letters are cut by the same plotter/cutter that is used for lettering. Once the machine is finished cutting, the letters are "weeded." That means the interiors of letters such as e, g, o, etc. are taken out. This is time consuming on a whole bunch of tiny letters but a piece of cake on something that will be a boat's name. Then the stencil is covered with a very low tack covering tape. This holds all the letters in position when the backing is removed... to expose the sticky back. The stencil is applied, you remove the covering tape, and paint between the lines. Or slop over the lines. Your choice. Let the paint dry then peel the stencil off. Done.

Here's a photo sequence of me doing my recent build:

Sorry I don't have shots of the stencil prior to putting it on the boat. The yellow masking tape you see in this photo was there to hold the stencil in position while applying it. The stencil is actually applied just like one would apply vinyl letters. In this photo, I've already applied the paint.
    Name painting - 1.jpg

Removing the stencil:
    Name painting - 2.jpg

The finished product:
    Name painting - 3.jpg

One can get fancy and do shading. I've never that, however.

Just another way to consider.

Jeff

Thank you all for the input.

Please let me re-state the question. Back in 1956 when Joe Boatbuyer went to the train yard to pick up his new SpeedLiner (complete with vinyl manufacturers decal) and wanted to put a name on the transom, what did he do? I know that back in the 30's and 40's he would have had it painted on, and today he would get some vinyl. But the 50's and 60's seem to be in the middle somewhere.

-JP

Quote Originally Posted by mmd View Post
    Vinyl will be fine, and I bet that 99% or the people you meet who say, "Wow! Nice boat!" won't notice.
    Quote Originally Posted by Oldad View Post
    What it comes down to is that it is your boat. Do what feels right to you and dont worry about anything else. You have my blessing
    I completely agree with you both, just trying to get a feel for the history. I think I read somewhere that vinyl decals came into use in the 50's. Maybe the rule should be set that pre some date you paint, post that date vinyl is fine. But then there would be nothing to ague about.

Jeff, that is a beautiful transom.

Did you varnish over the name too, or is that the finished product?

-JP

For the purists, why not go with carved name boards? Painted names are not all that old either and were probably frowned on at first. Vinyl is easy, inexpensive and looks great even if done by a poor painter. Use what you like as most practical or for whatever reason and don't worry about being pure. Duplicating the original is always looked on as best though, if that is a factor.
    Tom L

You are too far away for me to come and do the job for you. But, if you want the name of a top notch sign painter in your area, call
    Art Essentials of New York LTD. They can put you in touch with the right sign painter for your boat. They are suppliers to the trade.
    Jay
    http://artessentialsofnewyork.com/

So, different horses. My 1968 wooden ketch had plastic letters screwed on when I bought her. They actually looked very good, not at all plastic. I couldn't find any, and replaced them with painted wood letters from a sign company. I can post a pic of the new letters if you like. The same company, Woodland Manufacturing, makes plastic or metal letters too.
    If you want to see what was typical, find a page, forum, facebook group for classic power boats. Check out their pics.

Back in the 'fifties and 'sixties Joe Boatbuyer would have had the local signpainter apply the name, or done it himself. A signpainter would have cost less than a custom-produced decal, would have been better than what he could do, and Joe would want the least expensive option that would look good on his new pride and joy. The part that doesn't translate into today is that fifty or sixty years ago signpainters were a dime a dozen, and they are scarce as hen's teeth today (with charge-out rates appropriate to rarity). So, does the modern Joe Boatrestorer emulate his compatriot of another era and go for the least expensive option that is better than he can do, or does he opt for the more expensive -and period correct - option and start scouring the region for a signpainter who will paint on a boat?
    Hope for the best, but plan for the worst.

Quote Originally Posted by mmd View Post
    Back in the 'fifties and 'sixties Joe Boatbuyer would have had the local signpainter apply the name, or done it himself. A signpainter would have cost less than a custom-produced decal, would have been better than what he could do, and Joe would want the least expensive option that would look good on his new pride and joy. The part that doesn't translate into today is that fifty or sixty years ago signpainters were a dime a dozen, and they are scarce as hen's teeth today (with charge-out rates appropriate to rarity). So, does the modern Joe Boatrestorer emulate his compatriot of another era and go for the least expensive option that is better than he can do, or does he opt for the more expensive -and period correct - option and start scouring the region for a signpainter who will paint on a boat?

This Joe Boatbuilder did what I posted earlier: used a stencil. This isn't a true hand lettered name, I admit. But, I'll also say that one could further approach the appearance of hand lettering by tweaking he computer generated letters. I didn't do this simply because getting that look isn't all that important to me. However, having a step above vinyl is. Perhaps I'm seeing this differently than most because I happen to own a plotter/cutter machine so I do the stencil for myself. It's easy to do yet somewhat time consuming because I use it so infrequently that I have to re-learn the process each time. A sign shop does this daily and could crank out a stencil in nothing flat.

A steady handed guy could further "enhance" a stenciled name by outlining the letters by hand. I've tried this and found my technique to be less than acceptable. I choose to not engage in the practice required to further my technique as Jay has done.

The transom that I posted above has the name painted on over varnish. I did not varnish over the lettering. I will be re-doing the lettering in the future. I forgot to stretch the height of the letters to account for the 45 rake of the transom. Chalk that one up to another senior moment.

Nameboards were mention in a post above. Here is an photo of the name board I did for my Somes Sound 12.5. It is done with gold leaf. And, yes, the gold has been varnished over:

Name, general, bow chocks 3.jpg

And... on that one I did account for the raked transom!

Jeff

Jeff, Actually the copy has enough vertical height to look correct if your transom is not too raked. Nice arch board! Will you outline the copy? You can outline the copy using striping tape. It comes in all colors and widths. Clear acrylic/water based varnish can be used to protect the gold as it will abrade and deteriorate over time. The acrylic will not yellow as varnish does. One coat is all you need. Pracice on a dummy letter to see if you like it before doing the real copy. The acrylic will last a long time. It looks white in the container and dries clear. Can be purchased at art and hobby supply dealers and comes in both matt semi gloss and gloss finish.
    Jay
    Last edited by Jay Greer; 05-26-2018 at 01:45 PM.

Guys, If you want to learn sign writing, there are a lot of videos on UTube that will get you started. Just get some sign writing brushes, black tempura poster paint and sheets of the want adds form the local Daily Bugle. Tack the paper on a slanted, almost vertical, easel board and pracitce away. The ad copy will keep your work straight. It is repetition that will train your hands to control the brush. Start with a simple alphabet and get complicated later. If you want to write classic Roman, Speedball makes a small book of alphabets that is really a good reference. Often bracing one hand with the other helps when dragging a line. The entire body is used to produce clean copy, not just the fingers or wrists! Think of using the entire arm from the shoulders to get clean sweeps.
    I am left handed but our alphabets are designed for right handed people so I had to force myself to work right handed. It took a long time and I made many mistakes that glare back at me when I see photos of my work. Just like getting to Carnegie Hall, it takes practice, practice, practice!

Go for it guys!
    Jay
    Last edited by Jay Greer; 05-26-2018 at 12:30 PM.