Thread: Windy..

Default Windy..

Celebrating how ever long photobucket is around this time.

old photo from 2011 when we were hove to off the Kermadec group in my friends 46 foot Davidson on the way to Tonga.
    Not often you get a real sea state to show in a photo , I like it.

Default Re: Windy..

I like it to. It is not often you see seas represented well enough to in photos.

A great lesson too. After we got back I looked harder at the chart and the google earth image of the area. The GE stuff really showed just how high the Colville ridge was running through that patch of water. It literally went from kilometres deep to about 500 metres right there.
    On the face of it 500 metres is not exactly something to be concerned with , but that sea mount/ ridge caused the sea state we sailed into, just because of current and general movement of giant volumes of water over an obstacle.

40 to 50 knots of wind but in another few years I'll talk it up to 50 to 60.

Makes me seasick looking at it.

It was really nice to be in a top quality build , a 4 skin cold moulded Kauri boat like Riada II. 1980.
    No squeaks , no flexing bulkheads or anything else, cupboards and doors all opened and shut. And she swam like a duck hove to / fore reaching ( fin keeler) for I forget?... 19 or 20 hours in a square patch of water about 20 miles by 20 miles. We 'tacked' the hove to once to keep her in that patch.

Quote Originally Posted by John B View Post
    A great lesson too. After we got back I looked harder at the chart and the google earth image of the area. The GE stuff really showed just how high the Colville ridge was running through that patch of water. It literally went from kilometres deep to about 500 metres right there.
    On the face of it 500 metres is not exactly something to be concerned with , but that sea mount/ ridge caused the sea state we sailed into, just because of current and general movement of giant volumes of water over an obstacle.

40 to 50 knots of wind but in another few years I'll talk it up to 50 to 60.
    At least, maybe even more...

Sailing onto a shallower patch is distinct in that sort of weather. I have seen it out near Sable Island on the east coast off Nova Scotia.

Roger Taylor of Ming Ming fame talked a number of time in his accounts of his voyages of being wary of approaching the coast, during the wrong part of a weather pattern.

It stands.....best be thoughtful when approaching the continental shelf....deep sea wave energy can rolls pretty deep....

Between Bourgeoisie and Proletariat - Australia

Quote Originally Posted by John B View Post
    Bass Straits scenario with the whole southern ocean barrelling across it.
    5m rolling swell, turns into 5m vertical faces. That's without wind.
    "People should be able to access these benefits [Social Welfare] as a matter of right, with no more loss of their own standards of self-respect than would be involved in collecting from an insurance company the proceeds of an endowment policy on which they have been paying premiums for years."
    Robert Menzies - Liberal Party (Conservative) Prime Minister of Australia.

I wish I had photos of our downwind sleighride on Lake Erie in 2003.
    The wind was only NE 25-ish, but off Long Point, the teepees were about 5 metres high and very intimidating.
    Celestial 48, motorsailing with most of the furling jib,we were regularly hitting 13kn(GPS).
    R
    Sleep with one eye open.

I’ve been out in Erie fishing for walleye in a twenty two foot open boat with an outboard and a pusher when the teepees came up. Close to a safe harbor but still trippy.
    Simpler is better, except when complicated looks really cool.

That South West end of Lake Erie is very shallow, with few spots over 40' deep. The seas are very short and steep, and they come up fast.

Capes , channels or straights , shallow water all worth watching out for . I'm convinced Nina went down on or near the Wanganella bank.

same thing , you're miles from anywhere and all of a sudden you've gone from thousands of metres to 90.
    In a storm , my God , it gives me chills to think of it again.
    Last edited by John B; 05-24-2018 at 05:24 PM.

And this gives you a bit of an idea of what the ridge that we sailed on to was like . The right hand ridge is the kermadec and has the kermadec islands sticking out of the water. That ridge continues on and becomes Tonga.
    The Colville ridge just 70 miles to the west runs up and pierces the surface as the Minerva reefs and then on through the Lau Group Fiji. But apart from that its 300 odd... 500 odd metres down ,around the kermadecs anyway.. Still a massive influence on sea state in rough conditions though.

The linear ridges running north-northeast (Colville to the west and Kermadec to the east, separated by the Havre Trough and Lau Basin)
    Do you know , I just spotted something..... If you follow the Colville ridge up it becomes the Fiji ridge and Fiji, looks like a comma with Viti Levu being the head of the Comma.
    Just under that another ridge curls off to the west to become Vanuatu.
    Its well known that when you leave Fiji heading south that you get heavy weather and rough conditions for the first day or 2 days. For us it was rough , 30 knots at about 50 degrees apparent , so cruisers 'on the wind.'
    Its not until again , you look at a picture / graphic like that , that the real shape of the sea bed becomes apparent... its another freakin ridge .
    Mostly the rough weather there is ascribed to a convergence zone that collects and speeds up the trades, and thats true, but there we have it , theres that ridge there as well.. I mean you know its shallower from the chart and the chart contours but that really does show it up for what it is.
    Last edited by John B; 05-24-2018 at 05:37 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by L.W. Baxter View Post
    Looks like a good area for pelagics. Did you break out the flatware?
    I had a grand piano with fins on my nannas dinner knife lure last year, Lee. Old Penn 80 with 80Lb and the drag up past the detent. When I got the line back the steel trace had been severed. Same thing happened several times , I lost my best lures before I'd even got to minerva.