Thread: I Think Summer is Here

Default I Think Summer is Here

Took Fire-Drake out for a daysail this morning, to try out the new sliding seat rig and fiddle with the balance point of the foresail to see if I can reduce weather halm a little. Launched at Cattle Point in Oak Bay and was greeted with mostly calm to start.

Somewhere off behind the haze in the centre of this pictures is Mt Rainier, usually, and in front of that, Seattle.

And behind the fog across the Strait of Juan de Fuca in this picture is Port Angeles. Oh yeah, the Olympic mountains are there too.

The sliding seat rig seems to add somewhere between 1/4 and maybe 1/3 knot for the same effort or less effort for the same speed.

Found a slightly better balance point for the sail too, when the breeze finally did come up, but it will need more testing in stronger winds.
    Alex

"A man who is not afraid of the sea will soon be drowned, for he will be going out on a day he shouldn't. We do be afraid of the sea, and we only be drowned now and again" Aran Islands Fisherman

Default Re: I Think Summer is Here

Very nice! We thought seriously about settling in Port Townsend last year. What a great spot you have out there.

Have you got any pictures of the slide seat setup?

Race Rocks in the 2nd shot? Probably be a little busier next weekend. Looks like they have 197 boats registered for Swiftsure this year. Great turnout!

Don't be fooled. It rains all the time. You wouldn't like it.

Quote Originally Posted by rgthom View Post
    Have you got any pictures of the slide seat setup?
    It's basically the same as Chris Cunnigham's take on Ben Fuller's idea, as written up in Small Boat Monthly a couple of months back.

Sliding Seat_001.jpg
    Last edited by AJZimm; 05-24-2018 at 11:52 AM.
    Alex

"A man who is not afraid of the sea will soon be drowned, for he will be going out on a day he shouldn't. We do be afraid of the sea, and we only be drowned now and again" Aran Islands Fisherman

Quote Originally Posted by Hugh MacD View Post
    Race Rocks in the 2nd shot? Probably be a little busier next weekend. Looks like they have 197 boats registered for Swiftsure this year. Great turnout!
    No, it's the light on Fiddle Reef just off the harbour in Oak Bay. It's somewhat deceptive - it's a small light relatively close rather than a bigger one far away.
    Alex

Quote Originally Posted by AJZimm View Post
    It's basically the same as Chris Cunnigham's take on Ben Fuller's idea, as written up in Small Boat Monthly a couple of months back.

Sliding Seat_001.jpg
    I saw that article, nice and simple way to do it without a lot of stuff in the way of sailing.