Thread: Concordia Yawl #5

Default Concordia Yawl #5

Hi everyone,

New forum member here. I just purchased Concordia Yawl #5, the first of the Abeking & Rasmussen built Concordias! She was built in 1950 and has been sailed continuously here in New England and in Europe for a few summers by a past owner. She surveyed in pretty good condition, with mostly "spit and polish" needed, as well as some plumbing and electrical updating needed at some point .She has recently been re-fastened, re-powered, re-rigged, re-decked, and the coach roof replaced. Ill be sailing out of Noank, CT.

I'm sure ill be looking for help and advice here now and then and look forward to trading stories with other forum members.

Paul Shields

Default Re: Concordia Yawl #5

Super cool! Looking forward to lots of photos.

And welcome!

Mike
    "near it, a small whale-boat, painted red and blue, the delight of the king's old age."

Welcome indeed! Concordias are lovely boats.

As said, we are in desperate need of some pics.
    "If it ain't broke, you're not trying." - Red Green

Congrats. You've purchased one of the true classics!
    I was born on a wooden boat that I built myself.

Very pretty!!!!

will you be bringing her to the WoodenBoat Show at the Seaport next weekend?????

Welcome aboard and what a boat.

Quote Originally Posted by nedL View Post
    Very pretty!!!!

will you be bringing her to the WoodenBoat Show at the Seaport next weekend?????
    I will be there but Duende will not. Although she is in the area, she is on the hard until I finish up a few more jobs.

Congrats on buying Duende. If you are at the WBShow on Saturday at 11am stop by the Thomas Oyster House to say hi to some of us Forumites.

What a score!!! More pics....

Quote Originally Posted by StevenBauer View Post
    Congrats on buying Duende. If you are at the WBShow on Saturday at 11am stop by the Thomas Oyster House to say hi to some of us Forumites.
    Thanks Steven. My plans are to be at the show Sunday afternoon.

They are sweet. I think there's one in Greenport.
    Perhaps I'll see you on the Sound.

I’ll be at the WBS, however,..... unfortunately anchored in the river for the weekend.

Awesome Paul! Welcome to the fleet. If you don't already know about the fleet newsletter, let me know and I'll give you the editor's info. I'm sure everyone would be interested in what you are doing with the boat.
    Chuck Thompson

Welcome Paul! If you venture up to Maine, you are always welcome to join us in the quiet side of Boothbay Harbor (all the way to the west). You are welcome to pick up a mooring or raft with Portunus (#75). Perhaps we'll see you at the reunion?

Best, Pam Parker

Quote Originally Posted by portunus View Post
    Welcome Paul! If you venture up to Maine, you are always welcome to join us in the quiet side of Boothbay Harbor (all the way to the west). You are welcome to pick up a mooring or raft with Portunus (#75). Perhaps we'll see you at the reunion?

Best, Pam Parker
    Pam, Thank you for the kind welcome. If and when I do venture to Maine perhaps I will be able to look up Portunus. I had planned to sail to the rendezvous later this month but my projects are going slower than expected and Duende will not be launched until the end of the month. I am looking forward to doing some fall sailing in and around Long Island Sound and Block Island Sound. Iíll be using my time on the water this fall to further determine what I would like to do for Duende next off-season. I may be able to drive to the rendezvous for one day. It would be good to meet other folks from the fleet. Best,

Paul Shields
    Duende CY5

Congratulations on the Concordia. I had one myself for a while, #22, Swan. If I remember correctly the first one or two Concordias were built for Drayton Corcoran who went on to have other boats built for himself by A and R. But the first Concordia was to be named Sheila and being the first of many the type became known as the Sheila-Type at A and R. If yours is the 1st one then it should be Sheila. Drayton Corcoran went on to have Little Vigilant built there and followed on with the staysail schooner Westward, named after his father's NGH schooner Westward. Happy sailing/JC

Congratulations Paul - Was this the boat in Atlantic Yacht Basin a few years back? If so - I had left you a note on it when it was in the back shed. I have number #9. I've been on a little hiatus from the WBF.

Rob

Hi Rob,

I really do not know about the Atlantic basin. The boat is new to me this last spring. She was previously owned by a Frenchman who would come over each summer for the past few years to sail her throughout New England. I first saw her listed for sale on craigslist and The first I got to see her she was in a barn in Eliot Maine. I am very much looking forward to sailing her throughout Long Island sound in beyond this next season. Perhaps we will run into each other one of these days. Best...

Rob, Oh funny thing is that I knew the previous owner of your boat , Howard Schecterle. Howard was the Owner of Ace Signs. A little story .... Howard produced all the signage for Friendly ice cream. Naturally he was a very good friend of the Blake brothers who owned Friendlyís. The Blake Bros. collected antique and classic cars. Howard of course sailed a Concordia yawl. Sitting atop of the Friendly corporate headquarters in Wilbraham, Mass. is a windvane that Howard made. On one arm of the windvane sits an antique car, and on the other end of the windvane sits a Concordia Yawl! Howard did some sign work for my business as well and we would sit in his office and talk sailing and Concordias in particular. Howard had a beautiful oil painting of his boat, the El Ho, under sail, beating into a choppy sea. I have wondered what happened to that painting. And now here we are years later, two people with a common thread of a Concordia, and her past owner, and stories to tell! Paul

Friendlyís Corp. windvane
    Attached Images Attached Images

Paul, I own Abigail, the 39' dark blue, wood, Alden ketch two bays down from your winter storage. It was great to see your appearance this winter. Congrats and look forward to crossing paths one day. -Jesse

Hi Jesse

Ill be coming and going to and from the boat...often I hope! Iíll look for you. Best...
    Paul

I did get a call from a Frenchman one day after leaving a Concordia Magazine and a business card on the bridge deck. Atlantic Yacht Basin is in Chesapeake, VA just after the lock going into the ICW. Congrats on the new purchase. Finally someone that new a past owner!! It might be a few years before we cross tacks with this Concordia. I've had it 11 years and it is slowly coming back to life. It has all new backbone pieces, floors and the ribs are all done. Started on deck beams last night - made one and sealed up one ready for painting. When you saw Duende, was it at Independent Boat Haulers in a 2 boat shed? If so, the other boat could had been my first boat - a 1958 Knutson 35'. Have a blast sailing this summer!! Let the Schecterle family know El Ho lives - I'll send them a cribbage board out of the old planking if one of the kids have a good memory of her!

Hey Paul - Have you been getting the Concordia Newsletter? If not, send John Eide a note to get on the mailing list: jeide@meca.edu I'd love to add your above story to the upcoming newsletter with your permission?

There is something about the Concordia design that just plain feels right! Maybe it is the bridge deck or maybe it is the star on the bow. Or, maybe it is the sweet motion of the hull when under sail!

Every time I step aboard a Concordia Yawl it feels like coming home to a place that is just plain right after years of being away!

You are one lucky guy Paul! Welcome aboard!
    Jay

Hi Rob,
    Yes I am on the newsletter list a d received the fall edition. Feel free to add what you will of what I may post . A question....In the last newsletter I believe there was a reference to a concordia chat page or room. I would be interesting in knowing about that or any other place where I can look for or trade Concordia parts. At present I am looking for a forward birth set up and also for a jib club. Paul

Thanks Jay! I feel very lucky indeed. I cannot wait to launch duende this spring . I'm sure I will have more photos and experiences to share. Paul

The List Serve hasn't been that active. I'd post what you are looking for or would like to trade in the Newsletter. I just had the conversation with my wife on the two pipe-berths up forward or do I go with a twin bed. Her decision was a twin bed. If I was convinced and 100% sure that I would get #9 done-I'd be inclined to part with them. I have a club boom that I plan to use though. I could get measurements and pictures for you.

Rob. Measurements and photos of your jib boom would be very helpful. I was considering building one. My forward berth space had been converted to a v berth. Iíd like to add one pipe berth, preferably port side, in case 2 crew members do not wish to bunk together. Best, Paul

Maybe a reader here can help with something! A year ago I purchased CY5, Duende . While cleaning her out I came across an old bell .Ill try to post photos of it. It is quite weathered but it appears to have an inscription...maybe . My imagination can see one line spelling something like Lemwerder. Does anyone here have, or know someone who might have anecdotal information about this bell? I'm wondering if it could possibly have come from A&R commemorating their first Concordia Yawl.....that would be something! The good folks at Concordia do not have an answer but are intrigued....Ill keep searching and asking, maybe someone at A&R???

Default Concordia Yawl #5

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Shields View Post
    Rob. Measurements and photos of your jib boom would be very helpful. I was considering building one. My forward berth space had been converted to a v berth. I’d like to add one pipe berth, preferably port side, in case 2 crew members do not wish to bunk together. Best, Paul

It is possible that Paul Rollins has a port side one kicking around? Mickey Finn, his Yawl that I own, had one up in the forward chain locker. It was not up there when I bought it but it could be kicking around. I am going to see him a week from Tuesday so I will inquire.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks Rob. Paul

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Shields View Post
    Maybe a reader here can help with something! A year ago I purchased CY5, Duende . While cleaning her out I came across an old bell .Ill try to post photos of it. It is quite weathered but it appears to have an inscription...maybe . My imagination can see one line spelling something like Lemwerder. Does anyone here have, or know someone who might have anecdotal information about this bell? I'm wondering if it could possibly have come from A&R commemorating their first Concordia Yawl.....that would be something! The good folks at Concordia do not have an answer but are intrigued....Ill keep searching and asking, maybe someone at A&R???
    3C95225F-5758-411A-871E-D33AA29381C8.jpg9128DDB3-FBE8-4B3F-834F-24B5BBBA6FDA.jpg627FC8B9-0803-4E65-BFD5-6EFFC8E09B3E.jpg