Thread: 3 wooden Mirror Dinghies meet in Germany -- JollenFlottille 2018

Default 3 wooden Mirror Dinghies meet in Germany -- JollenFlottille 2018

We managed to get together with varying participation between the 9th and the 12th.
    On day one, two Mirror dinghies, Skippy and a small cruiser "tofreden" (a Carina) sailed from Borgwedel to Missunde, where the crews (comprising the skippers only) sat out a thunderstorm and deluge in a fish-sandwich snack bar. After bailing gallons of water out, we returned to Borgwedel in a light breeze.
    On day two, "tofreden's" skipper had intended to sail to the Baltic and leave the fleet. We'd intended to accompany him as far as Lindaunis, but the wind failed us and he gave up the idea. So we rowed and let us be towed to a spot where I'd had great cakes and coffee in 2013. On the way "tofreden's" skipper entertained us with an accordeon concert after which we sent him ahead to order coffee.

He soon returned with the sad news that the café was shut. So we turned back up the waterway and first got some "Fischbrötchen" (pickled herring in a roll) in Missunde again and then some coffee and cakes in the rather expensive and posh place by the ferry landing there. The wind picked up a little and wafted us back to Borgwedel.
    ThreeMirrors.jpg
    On day three, Peter, the musical skipper of "tofreden" sailed home to Schleswig, accompanied part of the way by "Skippy", while we eagerly awaited the arrival of the the third Mirror. Around noon, three Mirrors and "Skippy" were heading for Schleswig, whereby the skipper of the new arrival in "Kleine Hexe" (Mirror 45949) showed us how to really sail by hoisting his spinnaker single-handed in force 3 / gusting 4 winds! We got to Peter's landing in Schleswig on a broad reach but found no facilities there, so set out to the marina at Haddeby (site of the viking settlement Haithabu (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hedeby) ) where there was supposed to be snack bar at the campsite. It turned out this was shut too, but the expensive restaurant / beer garden next door was open, so we decided to lunch and have a beer there rather to have to beat back (estimated two hours in 4-5 Bft) on empty stomaches. Lesson learned: take provisions along, even on short trips in populated regions!
    The ride back was strenuous as the wind had kicked up a lumpy sea. There is a narrow passage on the way, at Stexwig, and even a dinghy has to keep fairly closely to the channel markers. I was glad to be be back in Borgedel in the evening without having capsized on the way.
    On day four, the fleet was due to disband but when we got to the boats we found it cool and misty but there was a fresh breeze blowing so we decided to take another one or two hours on the water. The sun soon dispelled the mist and the wind freshened more. Christian, In Mirror 69816, a beautifully finished boat assembled in Germany, was sailing a Mirror for the first time when he came to the meeting and wanted to try the boat in cat-rig configuration, so while the other two of us were hiking out, he was sailing easy and not all that much slower. We had lots of fun and even managed to get the boats to plane occasionally when the gusts hit what seemed to be 6Bft at times.
    lotsof room.jpg
    When we'd had enough and the Mirrors were drying out, we were able to watch Uwe, Skippy's skipper, demonstrate how he gets his boat (~ 45o kg) on the trolley and both boat and trolley on the trailer almost without any assistance by a second person.
    While the others drove home, I spent a pleasant evening in the rented apartment in Borgwedel, stayed the night and drove back to Berlin on the Monday.
    Puffin is now back in her usual place behind the yew hedge:
    Last edited by 62816inBerlin; 06-16-2018 at 04:30 PM.

Default Re: 3 wooden Mirror Dinghies meet in Germany -- JollenFlottille 2018

Have you tried asymmetrical spinnakers on your Mirrors? In our sailing club several members use them and say they are much easier to handle sailing one up. I have not tried them but with a fixed 'bowsprit' I can see what they mean.

Default Re: 3 wooden Mirror Dinghies meet in Germany -- JollenFlottille 2018

Hi, personally I've been too busy with other projects to set up the spi blocks, tackles and fittings on "Puffin", although I bought a used spinnaker two years ago. Ferdinand bought "Kleine Hexe" from the Netherlands and she came with all the gear (and a measurement certificate, I believe). Having sailed other boats with spis before (as far as I know) he has no fear of handling a third sail. I need to have some idle time, warm weather and warm water in the lake before I start experimenting. I only thought it might be useful on those days when we are cruising with a destination in mind and there is very little wind to take us there.
    AFAIK all Mirror spinnakers are symmetrical. I haven't checked the rules, though.
    Cheers,
    Gernot.