Thread: Adrift - Movie, Book, Life

Default Adrift - Movie, Book, Life

I'd not heard about this story before. I gather that the real life, as written in the book, has major differences from the romance of film but it still sounds like a great film. I'll order the book tomorrow.

For the trailer: https://www.adrift.movie/?utm_campai...aign=220740239

Default Re: Adrift - Movie, Book, Life

Saw the new advertisement at my bus stop this morning. Trailer looks intense!
    God is great, beer is good and people are crazy.

Billy Currington

Great book by Steven Callahan. I have not heard of this adrift. Not surprising, at any one time I’m sure several people are adrift somewhere.
    __________________________________________________ ________________________

Holy scheist!

The film is brilliant.

I still like the original title of her book, "Red Sky In Mourning", note the spelling, better. But the book's reissue is like the movie, "Adrift". My beef with that is that she was maybe adrift in life, though I think not in the deepest sense, and she was certainly not adrift after the roll-over.

The basic story is the spiritual power of love in a survival situation. For those who have read the book, there will be a moment when you think the movie people have completely taken leave of the story. Just remember 'The Voice'.

The special effects and the sailing shots are very well handled though there is a moment in the film where I wondered, when did she dewater? In her book one point was that there was always so much water sloshing about that she never did get the floorboard back in place. The film shows that but honestly in both the book and the film I don't fully get it.

The two principal actors really carry the weight. Shailene Woodley manages the evolution from restless surfer chick to survivor in a way that totally holds the screne and Sam Claflin provides wonderful balance. I loved the fact that a closing scene shows Tami Oldham Ashcroft sailing her current boat.

It's a more that two hankie film. We went with a group of eight who sail together a lot and we definately needed a decompression at the pub around the corner after.

There are realities to the aftermath that could not be covered in the film but are very worth letting her share with you. Don't just see the film. Read the book.

If there's a drop of salt in your veins, you must see this.

For those here old enough, the fil made great use of some Tom Waits tunes. Not on the sound track but takingme back to that time:

And those were the days of roses
    Poetry and prose and . . .

Woodley says she'd never sailed before, but she's a very strong swimmer. She loved being able to show off in the water.

Tami Oldham lives near Friday Harbor, WA.

Ian we wen't to see it last night. Your review was spot on and the "twist" caught me totally by surprise. Definitely a two tissue film.

I have to say very few things were unrealistic and Hollywood, although one of them was her jumping overboard and then swimming to "Catch" the boat as it was drifting away. I'm sorry but not even Michael Phelps could accomplish that.

The rest of the survival actions she took had me going, "do this" in my mind and a second later she was doing it. Renee was blown away by her courage and ability to handle all the situations

This movie is SO MUCH BETTER that that AWFUL Robert Redford "All Is Lost" that movie pissed me off to no extent everything he did was WRONG and STUPID.

Oh and the Tom Waits toon got me too.
    Last edited by Joe (SoCal); 06-16-2018 at 10:17 AM.
    This post is temporary and my disappear at the discretion of the managment

Only book I know is "48 days adrift", by Captain Job Barbour, about a three masted schooner that got blown across from Newfoundland to Tobermory, Mull in the 1929. The captain's niece called in to see us last year.

This other "Adrift" was a good read. I do remember learning of his "rescue" back in the 1980's.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adri...ys_Lost_At_Sea

And this tale from 1942 is also remarkable, 133 days at sea on an 8' raft.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Poon_Lim

Too intense for me. Could do for sailing what Jaws did for swimming at the Jersey Shore all those years ago.

Ahhh if

White Squall
    The Perfect Storm
    or Dead Calm

didn't, this one wont
    This post is temporary and my disappear at the discretion of the managment

Did she jump the shark?
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian McColgin View Post
    The film is brilliant.

I still like the original title of her book, "Red Sky In Mourning", note the spelling, better. But the book's reissue is like the movie, "Adrift". My beef with that is that she was maybe adrift in life, though I think not in the deepest sense, and she was certainly not adrift after the roll-over.

The basic story is the spiritual power of love in a survival situation. For those who have read the book, there will be a moment when you think the movie people have completely taken leave of the story. Just remember 'The Voice'.

The special effects and the sailing shots are very well handled though there is a moment in the film where I wondered, when did she dewater? In her book one point was that there was always so much water sloshing about that she never did get the floorboard back in place. The film shows that but honestly in both the book and the film I don't fully get it.

The two principal actors really carry the weight. Shailene Woodley manages the evolution from restless surfer chick to survivor in a way that totally holds the screne and Sam Claflin provides wonderful balance. I loved the fact that a closing scene shows Tami Oldham Ashcroft sailing her current boat.

It's a more that two hankie film. We went with a group of eight who sail together a lot and we definately needed a decompression at the pub around the corner after.

There are realities to the aftermath that could not be covered in the film but are very worth letting her share with you. Don't just see the film. Read the book.

If there's a drop of salt in your veins, you must see this.
    Xanthorrea

Quote Originally Posted by Ian McColgin View Post
    I wondered, when did she dewater? In her book one point was that there was always so much water sloshing about that she never did get the floorboard back in place
    IIt shows her with a big diaphragm pump on a board, with enough inch and a half hose to go in the bilge compartments and overboard. Very seamanlike.

I haven't seen it yet, don't know if its even released here. But there are at least 3 books written about it. The one I have is written by Jean Corlett called Tami, survival in the pacific. Written in an as told to kind of way. The partners name was changed to protect his family sensibilities as a courtesy.

But the reason for the post and because we are boating people.. the boat they used for the film was a beautiful local modern schooner from the late 70s or early 80s. High value and prestige boat always kept in nothing short of imaculate condition. I always admired it, raced against it in a Coastal Classic even.
    Like Top Gear with a vintage jag or the Bonny and Clyde movie with early Fords.....They butchered it.

We went and saw the film. I think its pretty good really ,and worth it. Some of the usual less than correct sailing/ boat sequences we're used to seeing in films but not excessive ,and forgivable.
    As someone who spends inordinate amounts of time looking after a boat I'm still conflicted about the way they treated the beautifully kept Mummery schooner ,Freedom of Leigh.

Kirsty did comment that she was glad she hadn't seen it before going offshore, so there might be a bit of counselling required there.... 'Ohh the forecasting is so much better now, we aren't going to get in the way of a named storm, communications are so far advanced ....' etc etc.

My son saw it last night, found it unnerving, but good. My wife refuses to see it because she doesn't want to be scared off sailing. I'd like to see it, but not going on my own.

"Adrift" is the title of a book about surviving over 70 days at sea in a life raft. Confusing.

Yeah, Callahan's book from over thirty years ago. I am glad for this new film but believe the book's original title, "Red Sky in Mourning" was so much better.