Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678 LastLast

Thread: Should I go riding Europe next week?

Default Re: Should I go riding Europe next week?

Sounds like you have a great trip planned. Our airfare for the two of us round trip Boston to Seattle was less than $500.

If you want to move around you can get gites at minimum weekly rentals.
    Xanthorrea

Quote Originally Posted by The Bigfella View Post
    Well, boy, have I got a plan for you...........
    I think I have to stop by this pub I keep hearing about.
    Be wary of your critics, at peace with your decisions, and work hard to be a better man.

20180822_120425.jpg Ted, When living in France you need a boat for La Semaine du Golfe 2019 and I found a perfect one for you while you are building 'Lucia'. I saw a boat like this on the Douro on the first 'Raid Fluvial do Douro'. She was rigged with a Dipping Lugsail and she is perfect for Flotille nr.2, the oar and sail bunch. Frank
    www.oarandsail.nl

Quote Originally Posted by FF View Post
    20180822_120425.jpg Ted, When living in France you need a boat for La Semaine du Golfe 2019 and I found a perfect one for you while you are building 'Lucia'. I saw a boat like this on the Douro on the first 'Raid Fluvial do Douro'. She was rigged with a Dipping Lugsail and she is perfect for Flotille nr.2, the oar and sail bunch. Frank
    www.oarandsail.nl
    We are on the same wavelength. She would be nearly perfect for my plans for the years to come. I just spoke to my friend about keeping one in his garage in Normandy. We are planning on navigating down the rivers and canals. Stopping at night in camp grounds, towns and cities. He keeps a large BMW sedan which could pull that boat will ease.

Maybe the first one - the drift down the Loire.

Last edited by Ted Hoppe; 08-22-2018 at 09:47 AM.
    Be wary of your critics, at peace with your decisions, and work hard to be a better man.

Landed in Heidelberg after a stop in Iceland (it was raining, cold, foggy and miserable - was glad to cut the 30 hour extension out!.) the cheap WOW airline flights from San Francisco to Frankfurt (269 dollars one way - was brutal for 12 hours. I rather skip that airlines again as the hard plastic seats, no inflight services including food and movies and carry on restrictions made an old fashion greyhound bus seem lusirious. I was glad to get to Germany, grabbed a beer and pretzel and took the train straight away for Heidelberg via Mannheim. Easy enough with a local stop near the motorcycle bnb - all taking 45 mins.

Last time I left the bike in June - I had a blown fork seal; the steering head races were notched and brake lines sketchy. For a couple hundred euro s - those were fixed. It turns out the bmw dealerships mechanics here in Germany are half the cost of the ones in the states. Good thing tooo!

It's a funny thing though isnt it Ted, we feel unhappy that we don't get great, or any, service on a flight where surely the fare must barely cover the cost of fuel and maintenance, if it actually does that at all. I mean wow, $269 from San Fransico to Frankfurt. Wow! And then, grumbling as we leave the airport, we hop onto a 30 year old bike, and face ass numbing, cold, vibrating, wind blown miles, ear plugs in to avoid deafness, mile after mile, day after sodden day, and call it fun.

Hi Ted, we are just back from our sailing trip on the Waddenzee. I hope your trip will be as good as the last one. Will you visit Groningen? All the best. Frank

It is so true Phil. The luxury of travel in a new plane even in steerage is comfortable enough. The old bike with a hard seat in a driving rain is the trill of economy. a wet crotch, soaked wallet and boots filled with water are the giggle.

Quote Originally Posted by FF View Post
    Hi Ted, we are just back from our sailing trip on the Waddenzee. I hope your trip will be as good as the last one. Will you visit Groningen? All the best. Frank
    i was just eyeing the map to Groningen. I am in Provence at les Baux with a possible afternoon in Antibes. It is a 14 hour ride from here to your home. I need to make Berlin by late afternoon on the 14th stopping to drop off bike on late 13th. I think with that close a schedule - we need to plan for next spring when we can do a few days along a river or explore a inland sea.

Thats ok, I have a cunning plan, as Baldric used to say.

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Y View Post
    It's a funny thing though isnt it Ted, we feel unhappy that we don't get great, or any, service on a flight where surely the fare must barely cover the cost of fuel and maintenance, if it actually does that at all. I mean wow, $269 from San Fransico to Frankfurt. Wow! And then, grumbling as we leave the airport, we hop onto a 30 year old bike, and face ass numbing, cold, vibrating, wind blown miles, ear plugs in to avoid deafness, mile after mile, day after sodden day, and call it fun.
    Simpler is better, except when complicated looks really cool.

Quote Originally Posted by Ted Hoppe View Post
    [...] I need to make Berlin by late afternoon on the 14th stopping to drop off bike on late 13th. [...]
    Hi Ted,
    if I understand it right, you will visit Berlin (at 13/14?). You are invited to visit my place in Berlin for a beer or a coffee and a look at my boat building work shop or at a very scenic place on a peninsula in Berlin where I just bought a moorage.
    If you are interested, contact me.
    Gruß, Günter

Quote Originally Posted by heimfried View Post
    Hi Ted,
    if I understand it right, you will visit Berlin (at 13/14?). You are invited to visit my place in Berlin for a beer or a coffee and a look at my boat building work shop or at a very scenic place on a peninsula in Berlin where I just bought a moorage.
    That is a very kind offer. i made it to Switzerland this morning via the St. Bernard pass. I plan on making the Black Forest tomorrow. Let me see how much go I have. It is less than 350 miles to go and if I can catch the train in the morning of 14th then we have a good shot at me seeing your workshop and sharing some of your beer. It would be so much fun!

Hi Ted,
    this forum is truly the best: berlin, boats, bikes, beer!
    Simpler is better, except when complicated looks really cool.

Since the 4th of September - I have ridden through some of the most beautiful landscapes Europe has to offer. I have tried to remain true to staying off autostratas and sticking to secondary and single lane roads. Coffee, cheese, bacon and people. It is amazing how feminine the women are to a single traveler. Moreover It is nice to see so many feminine women here that be gracious and kind - it is a shock when coming from a place where many if not most women are angry and often unpleasant.

Once I get to my room tonight - I will post some highlight.

917C80B7-235D-4815-96BA-3BDD56ABEF64.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Ted Hoppe; 09-12-2018 at 09:29 AM. Reason: Updated for detail

That is a very kind offer. i made it to Switzerland this morning via the St. Bernard pass. I plan on making the Black Forest tomorrow. Let me see how much go I have. It is less than 350 miles to go and if I can catch the train in the morning of 14th then we have a good shot at me seeing your workshop and sharing some of your beer. It would be so much fun!
    Fine! I'm looking forward to meet you.
    Gruß, Günter

Ted, anything went wrong? Are you fine?
    (The day before yesterday I sent you a PM with my email address. No answer until now.)
    Gruß, Günter

Ted, anything went wrong? Are you fine?
    (The day before yesterday I sent you a PM with my email address. No answer until now.)
    So sorry for delay! I am in route after a hectic morning putting my bike away for winter, packing for Berlin and home. I used my iPhone as a gps and it has lost much of its battery life and the power connector may be on the way of kaput.

I am on the way Express Mannheim to Berlin with an ETA of 1732. I’ll send you a private PM in a moment!

german trains are civilized.... good beer and warm pretzel on train!

a couple of images of my 2600 mile ride before i reached Berlin...

Last edited by Ted Hoppe; 09-26-2018 at 02:05 PM.

Le Mistral at Domaine du Manville

I have seen one or two of those lumps fitted to 2CV Citroens.
    Does make a slight difference!

Last edited by Ted Hoppe; 09-26-2018 at 02:31 PM.

Thanks for all the great pics, but this one is particularly beautiful. Sign me up! Where is it?
    "If it ain't broke, you're not trying." - Red Green

Quote Originally Posted by Garret View Post
    Thanks for all the great pics, but this one is particularly beautiful. Sign me up! Where is it?
    The Jura - one of the beautiful places in France.

This place is exceptional - Chateau-Chalon

Fabulous. Envious.

I really didn't finish the photos and the ride wrap.

Exploring in Les Baux and St Remy & Provence on the ultimate way on a motorcycle! Visiting the Carrieres de Lumieres exhibit was a highlight! La vie est belle!

Last edited by Ted Hoppe; 11-10-2018 at 06:51 AM.

The Camargue is something really special. Exploring it is incredible. It should be on your bucket list too.

And ending with a swim and a great burger for dinner.

Last edited by Ted Hoppe; 11-10-2018 at 07:14 AM.