Page 1 of 8 12 ... LastLast

Thread: Should I go riding Europe next week?

Default Should I go riding Europe next week?

The stars may be aligning and yet I am hesitating on making this trip happen. The reality of riding my own bike in Europe is here.
    My much loved motorcycle is waiting for me in Germany. There are cheap flights to had. I can do 9 days without losing too much. My route is around 1200 kilometers. My lovely wife will be there for business and has a few luxury hotel site inspections with complentry stays in Verona, Como (with a fancy boat charter) and Milan. She is with a professional travel junket with others and doesn't need me around so my days can be filled with explorations, expresses and passing through in late spring. I am bringing her helmet with me so we can do the famous lake side ride one afternoon. It is almost too good to be. I know I am lucky to pull this off. I have added to my luck by working nearly every day for the last four months to pay for this and other things I want to do in order to fulfill my personal bucket list. I will miss my friends who said they wanted to join me but never made a effort despite my urging. My crew mates on our Pacific cup / Transpac sail boat will also have to do without me on thier 400 mile qualifier over the long weekend as well as the big race in July.

There is so little time to do all the things one wants to do. Life is good. Even in creating the good life, one makes hard choices.

Last edited by Ted Hoppe; 05-18-2018 at 02:18 AM.
    King Moonraiser:
    A toy is never truly happy until it is loved by a child.

Default Re: Should I go riding Europe next week?

Go for it. Take your camera

Incidentally, you will be riding not far from where my father lived for a few years in the early-mid 1940's.
    "Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome and charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime" Mark Twain... so... Carpe the living sh!t out of the Diem

Yes, do it.
    Choose wisely -Treat kindly...

A secret to a good marriage is to have a quick mind and a slow mouth...

S/V ORCA 38' Herreshoff Ketch

Enjoy your trip, Ted. I trust your pictures will do justice to the spectacular landscapes you will see, and I would be very jealous if I were not to drive through it myself end of the summer, with my lugger on the trailer to Elba.

That will be spectacular....if you can extend the Southern quarter into Verona and Modena country roads you won't regret it.

Wrap up well it can still be chilly there. Boa Viagem .
    'C'est la vie' say the old folks it goes to show you never can tell

Go, but make up the sail; reread Bigfella's signature.
    Some impressive climbing
    Good luck

Lovely weather at the moment. And lots of daylight.
    IMAGINES VEL NON FUERINT

A friend did very nearly the same motorcycle tour about fifteen years ago - said it was the best ride of his life. He was on a rental sportbike (Yamaha YZF-R1, I believe) in a guided group tour. The group split into two - one crowd who wanted to putter along and see the sights, the other who wanted to drive the road to their limits. Richard and one of the tour guides were at the forefront of this second group. In ten days he wore out three sets of brakes and a set of tires. Lots of twisties in them thar hills. Have fun!
    Hope for the best, but plan for the worst.

I don't understand why this is even a question.
    No adversary is worse than bad advice.

No, stay home and mops.

Or, if really stuck, do a short documentary on bathroom remodeling.
    Creationists aren't mad - they're possessed of demons.

Have you seen the youtube videos of the motorcycle routes through the Vosges park,just to the west of your north-western sector?They are sometimes described as some of Europe's finest roads for two wheeled pleasure.I would also be tempted to make a small detour to the Schlumpf museum were I to be travelling so close.You ought to have a great time and the fairly stable high pressure over Europe should add to the enjoyment.May we expect an abundantly illustrated report?

OK! You guys (and gals) talked me into continuing on with my schemes and getting to the bucket is and NOW I pull the trigger! Flying from Oakland to Paris then taking the train on Thursday/Friday to Germany. I will get in late to Heidelberg, get my head straight and spend the morning prepping my old girl for the run. Depending on how it goes with my prep will mean which route to take or how much superslab i may need to run. I will be on my own for most of the time. I will catch up to my wife at night when in Northern Italy for a total of 3 or 4 nights otherwise I will be in the cheap hotels and hostels like the rest of the vagabond tourists who plague the Europe in the summer. I have budgeted 1200 euros for the road and lodging - i sure hope that is enough... I think I may be able to stay in Switzerland one night with that kind of rate.

Here she is in santa barbara a day before I put her in the container in Los Angeles. She never has let me down and I don't think she will there either. Ill need to do a value adjustment and battery charge. Hopefully things will be alright.

No doubt you folks will be envious of this trip. I promise to share the highlights and set backs with you all as the days roll into it.

All I know is that I must be safe and in good spirits when I arrive in Brescia and then Como. The hotel on the lake for 2 nights is going to be fantastic. It turns out that I worked with the GM nearly 30 years ago in San Francisco. https://www.grandhoteltremezzo.com/en/home/

Last edited by Ted Hoppe; 05-18-2018 at 03:57 PM.
    King Moonraiser:

Good decision.
    One of the most enduring qualities of an old wooden boat is the smell it imparts to your clothing.

This is how I imagine some of the ride will be...

King Moonraiser:

When you are in Como drop in on George and Amal and say hi for us...
    Hope for the best, but plan for the worst.

Enjoy.

It might be worth just dropping in a new battery, Ted. If it's been several months, it will be well flat... and possibly buggered. Better to start with a good one, than be dealing with a dud one along the way. Ask me how I know this.
    "Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome and charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime" Mark Twain... so... Carpe the living sh!t out of the Diem

Quote Originally Posted by Figment View Post
    I don't understand why this is even a question.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lew Barrett View Post
    Good decision.
    Quote Originally Posted by L.W. Baxter View Post
    I'm happy for you Ted that you can pull this off.
    Very jealous. You better not forget to keep us in the loop. We are counting on you. Ride safe and have fun!

Viel Spaß! Fahr vorsichtig, der Strassenpflegezustand wird nicht überall gleich gut sein. Die BMW müßte mit den Bedingungen sehr gut zurecht kommen, solange Du nicht versuchst, zu schnell durch die Kurven zu fahren, sonst gibt es abgeschürfte Ventildeckel. Es hat schon BMW Fahrer gegeben, die sich Löcher in die Ventildeckel geschliffen haben. Sind die Fußhebel für den Haupt- und den Seitenständer kurz genug oder setzt die Maschine zuerst mit diesen Fußhebeln auf? Das wäre sehr gefährlich.

Enjoy! Take care, road maintenance status will not be the same everywhere. The BMW should cope very well with the conditions unless you try to go to fast through the bends, than you can expect some chafing on the valve covers. There have been BMW riders who have chafed holes into their valve cover. Are the foot levers of the main stand and the side stand short enough or would they be the first items to touch the road? That would be very dangerous.

Hi Ted

If I interpret your map correctly, you will be coming my way on your first stage. I live close by Heilbronn. If you are in need of anything that I can supply, please send me a PM. I wish you a most enjoyable ride and a safe return.

Horst

While you're on Lake Como, you should stop at the Moto Guzzi mother ship.

Pick up a nice shiny new Guzzi to bring home.

You would not enjoy Nietzsche, sir. He is fundamentally unsound. — P.G. Wodehouse (Carry On, Jeeves)

Quote Originally Posted by SOF64 View Post
    Hi Ted

If I interpret your map correctly, you will be coming my way on your first stage. I live close by Heilbronn. If you are in need of anything that I can supply, please send me a PM. I wish you a most enjoyable ride and a safe return.

Horst
    Thank you for your kind offer. I glad to read that I have guardian angels where I may ride.
    King Moonraiser:

Quote Originally Posted by Henning 4148 View Post
    Viel Spaß! Fahr vorsichtig, der Strassenpflegezustand wird nicht überall gleich gut sein. Die BMW müßte mit den Bedingungen sehr gut zurecht kommen, solange Du nicht versuchst, zu schnell durch die Kurven zu fahren, sonst gibt es abgeschürfte Ventildeckel. Es hat schon BMW Fahrer gegeben, die sich Löcher in die Ventildeckel geschliffen haben. Sind die Fußhebel für den Haupt- und den Seitenständer kurz genug oder setzt die Maschine zuerst mit diesen Fußhebeln auf? Das wäre sehr gefährlich.

Enjoy! Take care, road maintenance status will not be the same everywhere. The BMW should cope very well with the conditions unless you try to go to fast through the bends, than you can expect some chafing on the valve covers. There have been BMW riders who have chafed holes into their valve cover. Are the foot levers of the main stand and the side stand short enough or would they be the first items to touch the road? That would be very dangerous.
    i am a slow steady rider and know the limit of my rubber cow. I stop often and take photos or videos. I love great curves and and spectacular views. I may make these the great roads into slow dances.

King Moonraiser:

Quote Originally Posted by Nicholas Carey View Post
    While you're on Lake Como, you should stop at the Moto Guzzi mother ship.

Pick up a nice shiny new Guzzi to bring home.

I was just reading about this... some guzzis set a heart a flutter. Do you think a full afternoon there will be enough?
    King Moonraiser:

Thank you for your kind offer. I glad to read that I have guardian angels where I may ride.
    You're welcome. I have only been lurking on the forum so far, but I like your planned trip a lot and I thought I should make the offer. I have travelled extensively in Europe, partly by bicycle on trips with little pre-planning and few arrangements and commitments. It has been a very profound experience of mine that you can get in contact with strangers and be met with friendliness and hospitality, and I have very rarely been disappointed. So if you feel like it, contact me; otherwise I wish you a safe trip with many interesting encounters.

Horst

If you're going from Brescia to Trento, make sure you check out Lake Garda and divert into the alpine passes.

My trip is coming to be greater than I could have ever expected. There is some wonderful evenings and lots of open road riding days in my own pace. I know I want to ride 2 great passes. I do want to ride Grosslachner on my way toward Italy and the Furka pass on the way back or in a small day loop. The only condition is now I need to make Brescia from Heidelberg in 2.5 days. Then I can putter about for 4 days then turn back towards Germany. I am going to be hitting the Moto Guzzi mecca and maybe even a ride to Bologna. I will have 3 days to ride back to Heidelberg and will make the most of it with early morning starts and early afternoon finishes.

My wife will only have a few evenings for me...but in shear luxury - 1 night in Brescia and 2 nights in Como. Sadly for us, we only have a single only getaway - one afternoon at Como on the bike. (I am hoping to rent a helmet from a local shop rather carry one for her thousands of miles.) Since she is in the luxury travel business on a property promotions invite - I can meet her at the Lefay Resort in Gargano and a very nice 2 night stay in at the historic Grand Tremezzo. It is now clear that I am going to on my own for most of the time where ever I am going and only getting to see my wife when she has time. With those free nights I can keep in my very tight budget (hostels and bookings.com stays) and have a taste of luxury that is reserved for movie stars. I will see what Stefan in Heidelberg recommends before I leave on Saturday morning from his place.

King Moonraiser:

Pictures Ted!

"Simple minds discuss people, Average minds discuss things, and Great minds discuss ideas".

Quote Originally Posted by BrianW View Post
    Pictures Ted!

taking wife to airport today... next Monday I meet her here.

King Moonraiser:

Not sure I understand how there was any decision to make - but glad to hear it's happening!
    "If it ain't broke, you're not trying." - Red Green

Quote Originally Posted by Garret View Post
    Not sure I understand how there was any decision to make - but glad to hear it's happening!
    I am taking a loss in freelance video photography business to a growing list of competitors. That will hurt for a few months. To make up the difference I will have to pick up work on the ferry system as a lead deck hand as my son is going to college starting this August..
    Last edited by Ted Hoppe; 05-20-2018 at 03:23 PM.
    King Moonraiser:

Have fun Ted!

Quote Originally Posted by Ted Hoppe View Post
    I am taking a loss in freelance video photography business to a growing list of competitors. That will hurt for a few months. To make up the difference I will have to pick up work on the ferry system as a lead deck hand as my son is going to college starting this August..
    Oh - I get all the grown-up reasons for not going - but the heck with those!
    "If it ain't broke, you're not trying." - Red Green

Quote Originally Posted by Ted Hoppe View Post
    I was just reading about this... some guzzis set a heart a flutter. Do you think a full afternoon there will be enough?
    Yeah. It's small. Make sure the museum is open because it isn't always so. You might call ahead to see what the drill/schedule is. I don't think they are open to walk ins.
    One of the most enduring qualities of an old wooden boat is the smell it imparts to your clothing.

Bravo

You are going to have a blast. Cruising slowly, taking in the sights, smells and sounds, sampling the local food, coffee, wine, meeting the people. Wow.